70 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2015 8:35 PM by cavemanthe0ne

The room heater - Dead again

thewalrus

Description

Soo yeah. The fun didn't last very long now did it. Somehow the one part that decides to give out has to be the single most important and expensive part of the whole damn build; the gpu. That awesome R9 290 Tri-X is now gone. At first I thought I'd get a new one quickly from warranty. That wasn't the case. Long story short, I might not get a new card at all. It's such a mess, the whole thing. What I know for sure, is that there won't be any gaming for me this christmas. MAYBE I'll get a new one next year. And while I wait in agony I can't even use the computer because the motherboard doesn't have a DVI port, and my monitor can currently only use DVI.

This blows so hard it's not even funny. Oh well, at least I can borrow my girlfriends laptop every now and then to watch cat pictures on the internet. Meow!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I'd be without a proper computer for a very long time, but something awesome happened. Some years ago I helped some people close to me when they were having a hard time, financially as well. When they heard about what happened, they went around collecting PC parts they weren't using and came to my door with a pretty amazing surprise. I ended up having a 4770k, Asus Z97-AR mobo, a Corsair CS650M and 16GB of HyperX Fury 1866 in my hands. All nearly new and unused. I had to RMA my Nepton 240M because of a broken pump, and I ended up having to switch to a Corsair H100i GTX which was also defective. I went through three of them until I got my hands on a working one. It's been a long wait, but completely worth it. It's a joy to be able to game again, and I'm grateful beyond words.

Also, I'm happy to say that I'll be returning to work even sooner than I thought, and that I got a new apartment that I can move into as soon as I recover from the latest surgery. It's going pretty good all of a sudden.

This rig was my pride and joy, and my ultimate gaming machine, until recently. Due to my financial situation created by the recession and health issues, building this system was a massive undertaking, and it took several years to get it to a state that I was happy about. It worked great, and looked great. It ran all my games perfectly with the OC it had. Then came one lightning and the motherboard, CPU and PSU were done - just weeks after the warranty on them ran out.

That was over a week ago now. Thankfully the most important part of my build, my R9 290 Tri-X, survived. However, it now collects dust on my shelf.

Let me tell you, not being able to game really blows. Took me nearly 4 years to get it built, took only a millisecond to get all that work undone. Be careful with thunder fellas.

The old parts:

i5 3570k @ 4.8GHz - RIP

Cooler Master Nepton 240M

MSI Z77A-G45 - RIP

2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis

Seasonic S12II-620W - RIP

47902.jpg

Specifications

CPU

i7 4770k

CoolerStock cooler
      MotherboardASUS Z97-AR
      Memory2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz
      GraphicsCurrently no GPU
      Disc Drive 1Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
      Disc Drive 2WD GREEN 1TB
      Disc Drive 3WD GREEN 1TB
      PSUCorsair CS650M
      CaseFractal Design Define S
      MonitorAcer 24" Predator GN246HL

Edited in new rig with pic.

• Re: The room heater - RIP
          thewalrus

Added some information and a pic of the system. RIP.

johnweland

Wow what a shame, that is a gorgeous build.

johnweland

Are you sure all of those parts are borked, or is it possible only one of them have failed? I might have a PSU sitting around here in the next few weeks or a month... 600W. I am afraid I can't help you with the CPU or board though.

jakeshi

Big shame for you. I know this feel, my laptop with Turion X2 and GF 9600MGT was damaged by lightning too. I hate lightning storms.

thefuzz1542

Maybe we can all start something? I know we all have older / last gen parts laying and some of them are still really decent performers. Im sure on a AMD forum several people could donate one thing. At the very lease he will have a computer that is decent. I have a 16 Gigs of AMD Gamer Edition Ram DDR4 set @ 2400 laying around from a Amazon order that got lost in the mail then eventually showed up and when i contacted them about it they didn't want back.

thewalrus

That is an extremely kind idea of you, but I don't know if the rules here would even allow for it. Thank you anyway though!

Most importantly I'd like this to be a reminder for everyone that thunderstorms can destroy your hard earned hardware!

punk4evr

I could certainly use anything, if you are willing to spare it!.... My Amd stuff is now .... 5 years old. so.  and I had to sell my video card to pay rent so.  I could use all that I can get!  I could use memory, Video cards, whatever else!  I have a ok Case from back then.  But other items are by far dated.  Though I did get an 8350. But now no video card!  Someone gave me a old hd 5430 to use in it.

punk4evr

Looks like an issue you have would be the PSU u have in that pic, is far too weak for the system.... 290x requires at least a 750 watt, and I would not use anyting less than 850, because of variance in the quality of different power supplies!  Could be why you had problems!  Never, use a marginal Powersupply, or you risk, frying everything!

Personally, I start with 1200's just to be sure. And go with known name brands. Otherwise, other items didn't look bad.

thewalrus

I never had ANY problems. The only problem I had was a lightning strike out of nowhere basically right on my house.

It's an R9 290, not the x. And the 750w req is there just for the cheap chinese PSU's. Mine was an extremely high quality Seasonic unit. My total system draw even with the OC wouldn't have been even near 550W. This is something I went over with actual experts numerous times. Even Sapphire told me I'd be more than fine.

GPU manufacturers go crazy with their PSU req's because some people are using low-quality PSU's that don't deliver the advertised wattage or amperage (not even close) and those units are dangerous to begin with. I know I could've gotten away even with a 550W high-quality PSU with ease.

Go check absolute max power draws from reputable review sites with top-notch equipment. You'll see what I'm talking about. Most sites report 350-450W TOTAL SYSTEM POWER DRAW with an overclocked R9 290 Tri-X, and that's with a much higher end CPU etc.

And known name brands? Seasonic is the gold standard in when it comes to power supplies. There's a reason why many high-end corsair and Super Flower PSU's for example were Seasonic made. And suggesting 1200W PSU for a system that at most consumes maybe 500W at MAX draw is just... beyond silly. Having an overkill PSU isn't a good thing.

thewalrus

I will say though, that you brought up an important issue. It's not just thunder that people should be careful with. Bad quality power supplies can destroy your components, and educating people about it is important, so thank you for that!

Also, guys, get a modular PSU. It'll be so much easier to do cable management... Believe me, I know.

punk4evr

I agree... I tell people that all the time.  Can't build a skyscraper on a dirt foundation, or pave over dirt. Need a good PSU to start, and if you value your computer, Always get a Auto Voltage Regulating UPS!   for an extra 100 bucks, a  AVR UPS can save your system more times than you could possibly know!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                      thewalrus

Well said!

Believe me I wish I had that. Unfortunately I've been on a very tight budget for the past several years due to medical bills, expensive medication, the economy being bad and getting laid off because of it.

I've always been super paranoid with thunder after I lost a router to a lightning strike, but this one literally struck out of nowhere. Pretty abysmal luck, huh.

thewalrus

After some further testing it looks like what survived are the liquid cooler, fans, GPU and SSD (and the case, duh haha ). It seems that in addition to the CPU, PSU, memory and motherboard going, the WD Green HDD also got toasted. Even the 1TB Buffalo external HDD was killed, thought it was pretty old to begin with. Suffice it to say I've learnt my lesson; I will never let thunder destroy a system of mine again!! I'm definitely getting some protection for my next system in case there's a sudden lightning strike again, not giving me enough time to plug out everything. Be careful with thunder guys!

I also started thinking, shouldn't my PSU protect my system from something like this? I did have to replace my DSL router too right after that lightning strike, so did the power surge travel through the ethernet cable or something? Or is that even possible? I'd like to know how this stuff works. Also, now that I think of it, I go the PSU for very cheap and it only had 1 year of warranty because it had originally been a faulty product or something that had been fixed (not smart I know, but Seasonic is a great brand and I'm pretty poor, and PC hardware is extremely expensive in Finland where I live lol). Could that mean some fail-safe didn't work?

Oh and I started looking into modding my R9 290 Tri-X cooler more closely. I now know more or less how I can remove the shroud and paint the yellow/orage part red without risking damaging any components, but because I don't yet know if I'll be actually able to use the card in a build, I haven't started modding it. If I do end up having to sell it, potential buyers might not be fans of the DIY AMD colour theme (also I'm not sure if it would void the warranty of the card - potential buyers would probably not appreciate that either).

I don't yet know if I'll be getting that Z97 motherboard that was mentioned earlier, but I'll have to make a decision within the next 2 weeks. My mind says I should and need to sell the surviving hardware, buy like a Chromebook or something with the money I get, and just deal with not being able to game for a long while, but my heart says I want to do that GPU paint mod and stick it in a system worthy of its power and game on.

Whatever happens, I promise to provide a build log of some kind when it does finally happen. Be it soon, or in 2016, or in 2017, or in 2018, it's going to happen! PC guys never give up!!

punk4evr

Honestly, it's more often that brown outs, or voltage drops that cause damage most frequently.  As you may or may not know, when voltage drops, the system tries to draw more current to compensate, however most of the path tracings can not handle very much current. So when voltage drops, things get fried.  I would have to say, about 95 percent of system damages, are due to drops, and not voltage spikes.  

Voltage spikes can cause damage also, however, in my experience, and have been a service tech since 1991, I have only seen 2 systems in my life that were damaged due to voltage spikes and not voltage drops.    One was a neat story, where Lightning struck the line of a guys house.  He brought his system in still smoldering looking for help.  I had to give him some bad news though.  As the service manager,  I would not chance putting his old parts in a new system, since i had no way to tell if they were good or not, and could most likely fry the new parts. 

But AVr ups IS THE WAY TO GO!.  Solves the voltage drops and gives moderate protection from spikes as well.... Will probably fry the UPS before it kills the computer, so its good insurance. 

I lived in Latham, ny for a while, and I swear, if you so much as heard thunder, we lost power there.  Brown outs every tunderstorm.  Had to get UPS  for my systems. Well worth it... oh, and if u do lose power, they are great to plug a LED light into, to have light for hours without power.  People were flipping out where I live, cuz I had lights on, and no one else had power!

punk4evr

Oh, and speaking of room heaters,  in my last apartment/room i lived in,   my computer had 2 4870x2'  in the box.  It got too warm in that room in the winter! But electricity was included so i kept the pc on always. Fun times.

charles4691

That is a shame to what happened to your system . That really sucks

thewalrus

Unfortunately I've had to make the decision today start to try and sell the surviving hardware. I got some news regarding some upcoming treatments about the stuff that's causing chronic pain, and all in all I won't be able to work for quite a while probably, and that means no new hardware. Thankfully I have a roof over my head, medication and food so I can't complain!! However, I don't think there's much point in saving that R9 290, ssd, cooler etc. for a build that'll happen maybe in 2-3 years. The case I will probably save though, it's just so moddable and looks just too cool.

Now I WILL be back with a build log at some point in the future, though it'll be quite some years from now. I never did get to paint mod the 290 Tri-X, but maybe in a few years I'll have a future Sapphire card to paint red and black!

Never, ever give up with the stuff you love! PC-people for life!

Keep this place alive guys and girls!

charles4691

Man that sucks .. but at least you have a roof over your head an food .. That is like me as well ..I just hate not working and hate more knowing that I can never work again.But best wishes to you ..It will get better for you I know

thefuzz1542

are you selling the parts cause you need the money or are selling cause you cant use em right now? like i said, i might be able to part with some parts to get you up and running. iv known some of the people here before joining the forum and i don't think they would mind us helping out a fellow member. especially if your gonna be stuck at home it would be nice to have something to play around with. if that 290 is good and i get you some good AMD ram set @ 2400 you would be able to do some decent stuff on it even if the CPU is not a super high end 8 core

thewalrus

I did decide on trying to sell them because keeping the parts collecting dust and slowly becoming obsolete seems like a waste of technology, and I guess money too.

And I am amazed at how people here are offering to help out fellow PC-enthusiasts, but still essentially strangers. I wish I had found this community sooner. This is the first pc-tech community I've truly felt warmly welcomed in right away. Comparing this to some finnish communities I've been a part of for example, this feels almost like a family.

thewalrus

After reading what thefuzz1542 said and talking to him, and thinking about it, I decided not to pull the plug just yet and sell the surviving parts. If people truly want to help a stranger in trouble living far away, who am I not to accept that help. That is ofcourse as long as the admins don't find this against any rules.

If someone does have spare hardware, and wants to help, contact me and I will gladly accept it and be extremely grateful. And if I do end up getting together enough help to re-build a new system of some sorts, it'll be amazing beyond words. Finland is far away from everywhere though, so I can see a mountain of difficulties even getting anything here.

Whatever happens, thank you for supporting me at a difficult time in my life. I joined for a giveaway that I wasn't even eligible for in the end, and ended up finding an amazing community of people I want to be a part of!

edit:

I wanted to say this as well. With all that's been happening, I very nearly ended up being homeless. Thankfully my dear parents were kind enough to give me a room or two to use and live in until I've recovered enough to get back to work and get an apartment again. I'm EXTREMELY ashamed to admit this, but I believe in honesty. I love my parents for being there for me, but no self-respecting adult wants to live in the same house as his parents, no matter how much one loves them.

IF I do manage to scrap together this computer with people's help, I'm hoping that when I finally get back on my feet (actually literally on my feet too, heh) I'll be able to build a new, good system and give the old one to someone in need of one. Just like I am right now. That just sounds like a beautiful idea.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                                    thewalrus

All I need now is RAM and a power supply, and I should be set! And I might be able to use an old that might still work PSU, so the ram is the last thing I need to make this happen!

thefuzz1542

Look what i had laying around. Will it work on your MoBo?

20150929_010652.jpg

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                                        thefuzz1542

It is new RAM. when I ordered it, it got lost in the mail. Amazon sent me new stuff then this showed up a week later. Amazon told me they already wrote it as a claim to the shipping company and just to keep it. I said "Okay!"

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                          thewalrus

Wow, that would be incredible! No matter what happens, thank you.

And yeah, thank you all who have given me support. This is an amazing community and I'm so happy I can be a part of it! If I can find a PSU and that memory via this place, it's just a bonus. We may be oceans apart, but we share something pretty cool. That is why what ever happens, I am glad I found this place!!

thewalrus

Soo yeah. It turns out that any half-decent modular power supplies are expensive as all hell in Finland. Ya fellas in North America or Germany got it so good, everything is a lot more expensive here. Makes me want to move to the US!

rofltheory

So sorry to hear that this happened! My friend usually buys the 3 year warranty but I've usually gone two years only. Her graphics card is always getting busted somehow. *shrug*
                                                              Hope you get better and that someone can give you some components!

thewalrus

Only gotta find a good enough PSU for the Tri-X and memory and it'll all be ready! Not that far off.

thewalrus

I also just received a job offer for next year once I'll be in much better shape physically, and able to work full time again. I feel like I just won the lottery. Knowing I'll have a job again starting in late january, in this economy... It's going to be beyond awesome. I can't wait!!

thewalrus

Soo yeah. Something awesome happened again. I should have something pretty cool to show ya guys in about 1-2 weeks...

• Re: The room heater - alive again!
                                                                      thewalrus

It's back up and running! I'm a very happy camper, especially now that I'm stuck indoors thanks to the surgery. It would suck not to have a proper PC right now!

adr_tech

Wow! this looks amazing! Nice to see your computer back in shape

staticfx

that sucks! Here is a bit of advice... renters insurance! Its like homeowners insurance, but its SUPER CHEAP. Call your auto insurance company and ask them... then if anything like this happens again. You can claim it!

thewalrus

Doesn't work quite like that here in Finland. I could've tried to get it all on my home insurance but it would've been pointless and expensive. Not worth it. The hardware was too old in the end.

punk4evr

ALso if anyone cares, I got a Fury air cooled, and I love it much more than my Nvidia card.

I think it looks much better than MY nvidia card.  I had a 690 Hydro.   First time I have seen blood in Battlefield 4 and also the fire looks so nice with it.  Didn't with the nvidia card.All the occulusion and smoke, you could not see the fire or blood in bf4.

punk4evr

so.... do we have pics of the new rig yet?   i have of the 2 new ones I built, but I still need video cards for them.  Sadly..... whats your look like?

• Re: The room heater - Dead again
                                                                                  thewalrus

It's dead again. The Tri-X 290 decided to self destruct.

thewalrus

Looks like about 90% sure I won't be getting a new card from warranty. This sucks.

charles4691

Nice system !

thewalrus

Thanks. I guess it still looks good, even though it's unusable.

charles4691

I know the feeling . My 7970 kicked the bucket ..So saving for a fury or maybe a 980 ,don't know which yet ..

punk4evr

Not to be a dick, but doesn't the 290  recommend at least a 850 watt PSU?

storm1978

All the AMD partners are going beserk on the watts because of all those chepo psu's out there that don't even produce half of their named watts!

And always this amount counts for the whole system and not just the gpu and that's at full load stock.

thewalrus

You could run two 290x's with an 850w PSU of decent quality with ease. In fact, if I was going for a crossfire configuration and wanted to be completely safe with the PSU choice, I'd go for an 850w one. The recommendations are ridiculously overkill because people have horrible, cheap chinese power supplies that don't even provide the advertised wattage. I could've gotten away with a 550w PSU without a problem. I doubt the system would've drawn over 500w at any load. Oh well, doesn't even matter now lol.

thefuzz1542

be careful, on the pc parts checker website it is advise that i run a min of a 1250 watt PSU with my duel 290X set up. how ever that's also with a 220 watt cpu and Asus video cards. but its still advised that you run 1000 watt with duel 290's alone

punk4evr

SO what killed your video card then, if a 600 watt psu didn't.

thefuzz1542

I think you meant that for walrus. Running under power is very dangerous for parts, even with a good PSU running under power will actually cook PC parts. its good practice to add all max wattage then add 200 watts then that is the zone you want your PSU to be in. i had my AMD Power House plugged into a load meter and i was using just under a 1000 watts with my setup and that was with a 80 Plus Gold efficiency rating.

thewalrus

How should I know? It used to be fine, now it's dead. Nothing spectacular happened inbetween. It's also not the first GPU that's died on me with no warning..

A 650w PSU of decent quality doesn't just magically kill a 290. That's for damn sure. Unless you don't have enough juice on the 12v rails, in which case I wouldn't call it a quality PSU anymore anyway. And even then it's the PSU that would most likely die.

I know that with stock clocks on the 290 and max OC on the 4770k the power draw from the wall was about 470w PEAK. That's with Furmark and Prime95 running simultaneously. You can believe that you need a 850w PSU to run a 290. It's not my money you'll be wasting. But the fact is that there is no system out there with a single 290 that would require a 850w power supply.

ebonclaw

If I had to guess I'd say you're house's wiring is crap and causing surges to run through your system on a routine basis.  As a PC tech I've seen a couple of cases where a client's PSU/computer parts routinely blew up for no reason.  I finally suggested they go buy the biggest surge strip they could afford (it's what I've done as well) to help protect against in-home power surges, and seems to have alleviated the problem.  I have an older home (70's) and I put my PC on the highest rating surge strip I could find.  Put it on a UPS at least if you have reason to believe this is the case.  Best of luck!

thewalrus

When the 290 died I had already moved and I was on a UPS/surge protector. The house where I live now isn't old at all either, it was built in the early 2000s. So it shouldn't be that.

I'm planning on keeping the system as safe as I possibly can in the future as well. When it is actually functional again, that is. God knows when that'll be.

thewalrus

No new GPU coming my way. Quite disappointing.

My old trusty Logitech G11 keyboard seems to be coming to the end of its life as well. I've been using it on my girlfriend's laptop, I can't handle the tiny tiny keyboard her laptop has lol. Large fingers. Thankfully those very basic keyboards are really cheap now, can get a decent one for like 10€!

In other news, I'm nearly done planning some mods and a custom water cooling loop (I won't be able to afford the loop for a very very very long time, but hey it's completely planned now!). I'm planning on cutting an AMD logo on the front panel of the Define S, and lighting it up with red or white LEDs, or I might screw in red LED-fans behind it. Still not sure exactly what I want to do with it, and it's all kind of on hold for now. It all feels a bit pointless, considering right now it's all just an expensive and quite large and heavy paperweight.

Other small mods include painting the PCI slot covers black and painting fan grills red etc. The black covers look fantastic, they give the case a more stealthy and dangerous look, and they turned out just fine. The loop, if I ever actually get to build it, will have clear 16/10 tubing and blood-red coolant, and overall black-red color scheme, including black fittings and CPU-block. The outside of the case won't get much attention, except for the front AMD logo and perhaps some AMD artwork - I like the looks of the Define S as it is. What I will do is also place red LEDs under the case to create this red glow from underneath it. The window might also get some mods, I have some ideas for it. Also, if anyone has any ideas, do tell me.

I know it's not the best of setups for a red-team build, having an Intel CPU and quite frankly not even knowing if I'll end up having an AMD GPU in 2016 as it has to be an insanely good deal. But I'm still determined to get it done, and I didn't exactly have a choice when it came to these components. Plus, when I decide on something I'm way too stubborn to stop. Besides, I like red anyway and it should look absolutely amazing. I'm a firm believer that PCs can be works of art and I appreciate AMD promoting that.

Oh well, I got a roof over my head and got my medications back. And me and the girlfriend will spend the christmas at my parents so we won't have to stress about christmas food either! Shouldn't complain I suppose, it could likely be much worse!

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays folks!

thewalrus

Front panel mod is much more difficult than I thought. Difficult to work with. Got some new ideas while working on it though. I really want to get a glass side panel at some point. Also, does anyone know if there are any sort of AMD stickers or badges for sale anywhere? They're damn difficult to make yourself without like a CNC mill or 3D printer. Refined the plans for the water cooling loop too, it's going to look fantastic when I finally get to build it.

Have to say, it's pretty hard not to have a system again, seems I'm quite addicted to computers AND my pain medication lol.

I also already made a deal about a second hand Sapphire R9 290x Tri-X as like the only christmas present for myself for 200€, but ran into trouble with my health insurance at the same time. Long story short; the deal didn't happen and I now owe the insurance company 250€. Merry xmas!

staticfx

ouch! thats terrible. Sorry to hear.

thewalrus

I ended up selling the H100i GTX now that the system is unusable, and I absolutely had to pay two bills. I can still use the system though if I happen to get a GPU somehow, as I have a stock cooler around. I'll just have to dial back the OC.

Had to pause working on the mods, as I'm in a phase where I can't continue until I can afford to buy some supplies. I might have to buy a new front bezzle for the Define S, I kind of messed up with the dremel... I definitely overestimated my skills with the whole AMD-logo thing. I also decided to try and make a PSU cover and mount the SSD on it so it's nice and visible. Shouldn't be too hard.