AnsweredAssumed Answered

MSI R9 390X Issues

Question asked by pyrokills on Sep 18, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 3, 2016 by carrera6

This post isnt about the Dx11 crashes, it's about something different. I have an MSI R9 390X running to a PB287Q ASUS monitor via DP 1.2. When playing any game if I bump up the voltage to +100mV or set the power limit to 50% the screen flickers with what seems to be signal loss. I assumed this was my PSU not pushing enough power or a faulty cable, replaced the cable and the problem happens albeit less frequently when i undervolt/underclock the gpu. So it's not the PSU or DP cable. Now I figured maybe it was a faulty card, so I hooked it up to a 1080p HDMI monitor and I could push the voltages/clocks all over the place without any issues, so it's not the card, it's something specific with the card,DP,or my monitor. Here is an example of what happens. September 17, 2015 - YouTube

For a heads up I am running up to date everything, drivers, bios etc etc. 15.8 Catalyst Beta, although this has been occurring on previous driver versions as well. I have also tried clean installations. I should also mention that pushing the voltage/power limit up only increases the frequency of the signal flicker, it still happens on completely stock everything (driver/settings), just less frequently. amdmatt ray_m I would very much appreciate someone taking a look at this as I am at witts end trying to figure this out.

Complete System Specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @4.7Ghz

RAM: 16GB DDR3 Dual Channel @2400Mhz

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero (UTD Bios)

Monitors: ASUS PB287Q Monitor 60Hz DP 1.2 (The problem child)

Samsung S27B550 @60Hz HDMI

GPU: MSI R9 390X 8GB

Storage: 120Gb OCZ-Vertex4 SSD (OS location)

500Gb Seagate HD

1Tb Western Digital External USB Drive

Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

Outcomes