AnsweredAssumed Answered

Windows 10 video_tdr_failure fixed by increasing GPU fan to 40% brings temp down to 42C

Question asked by tom_s on Sep 17, 2015
Latest reply on Sep 17, 2015 by tom_s

Windows 10 (or something) recently clobbered my i7, radeon HD 4800 system with constant video_tdr_failures.  I tried several huge fixes, cleaned pc/cpu/gpu dirt, TdrDelay/TdrLevel registry setting, clean install of win10 build 10240, loads of driver installs and reinstalls (2009, Jan 2015, Jul 2015, etc), and some smaller stuff.

Clean install of Windows 10 build 10532 fixed video_tdr_failure with my Radeon HD 4800!

https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1313#comment-4295

Nothing worked.

Finally i figured out it's the GPU overheating (i think).  I installed Speedfan to increase fan speed to bring GPU temperature down to 42C.  So far it's been three days without BSOD.  Download SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

I'm figuring Win10 graphics requirements have gone up or that my Radeon HD 4800 has had enough and needs to be cooler.

Next I'll try GPU BIOS flash to permanently increase GPU fan to reduce temp.  RBE - Radeon BIOS editor

Has anyone had negative experience with permanently increasing GPU fan speed through BIOS flash?

Outcomes