AnsweredAssumed Answered

Minimize shared graphics memory A6 6400k?

Question asked by rick75230 on Sep 15, 2015

I have a "spare" PC running an A6 6400K APU running on an Asus F2A85-V Pro. It's running Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit and 10 Pro 32-bit with one 4GB DDR3 stick.

About a week ago I bought another A6 6400K because I thought this one had become damaged by overheating. That wasn't the problem, so now I have an extra one. I see that my choice is either be stuck with one I don't need or buy another of that board, so I decided to do that. I'm considering upgrading my main computer to the same motherboard. (My options are to keep the new board and processor for sometime in the future or upgrade now.) The main computer runs Win 7 Home and 8.1 Pro, also both 32-bit.

I do need to occasionally run DOS programs, so I'm not interested in switching to 64-bit and having to reinstall loads of programs (a full-blown reinstall for just one install on my main computer literally takes 100 hours, with all the uninstall-reinstall-reinstall each program's updates, and sometimes I get "too many installs -- program cannot be activated". I've tried virtual machines and they're generally not worth the hassle.)

Both computers have separate 1Gb AMD-GPU video cards. I don't do any gaming or video editing whatsoever -- the most GPU-intensive activity I do is watching HD videos on rare occasions.

Right now, the main computer has a lot more RAM available for Windows because it doesn't reserve much system memory (if any) for video. I'm trying to find out how to minimize the amount of system memory that the A6 6400K will reserve for video.  (I'd prefer it to be zero, since 1GB of video-card memory is plenty.) Materials I've read indicate it will use 2GB and it seems like that occurs even though the on-board video is not used.

Outcomes