AnsweredAssumed Answered

R9 280 keeps crashing while gaming.

Question asked by vikkan on Sep 14, 2015

My XFX 280 is about one year old and has worked without trouble for most of the time but recently it started crashing while gaming (Tested Far Cry 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition and Witcher 3 so far and crashes in all of them but not as often in Far Cry).

The crashes causes the screen to form vertical lines in different colours, basically the same apperance as this guy: http://cdn.overclock.net/9/9c/350x700px-LL-9c3ef323_HD5000VS.jpeg

The crashes only appear while gaming, i've tried performence testing in 3Dmark and stress testing in Furmark both the GPU and CPU at the same time without problem (and I would think this also would rule out any problems with the PSU).

Heating doesn't seem to be the problem, MSI afterburner doesn't show any abnormal temperatures and it the crashes keep coming even if I lower the quality settings to extremely low and set the fans  to almost 100%.

I use the latest drivers and tried to do a total uninstallation and reinstallation but it doesn't help, Tried with both WIndows 8.1 and 10 without luck.

I tried everything I can come up with but can't seem to find the problem.

Motherboard; Z97MX- Gaming 5

CPU: i5-4690k

Outcomes