1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 13, 2015 6:25 PM by thedarkone198

Rumor: AMD Zen delayed till Q4 2016

black_zion

This is just a rumor, and it does come from DigiTimes, who reported AMD sold a 20% stake to some company earlier in the week and is in talks with Microsoft to sell out, so take it with a grain of salt. Everything I've heard until now said that AMD was still partnered with Samsung to make their 14nm chips, not GlobalFoundries. But say this is true and we don't get the AM4 platform until October 2016, is that such a bad thing? In my opinion it's not, because of several reasons:

1) Intel Skylake and their successor won't hit mass quantities until 2016.

2) The much vaunted DirectX 12 is supposed to really boost performance in cases where a powerful GPU is tethered to a weak CPU, like AMD.

3) Variable frame rate technologies mean a much lower frame rate is required for smooth gaming experiences.

4) An Intel setup is more expensive than an AMD setup.

5) DDR4 is still young, and has even prompted AsRock to release motherboards with both DDR3 and DDR4 slots for Skylake processors.

6) Intel takes massive losses in their mobile division to keep OEMs from using AMD products, so AMD can't gain any traction in mobile markets.

7) Gaming at resolutions of UHD and 4K is currently GPU bound, and that will not change until AMD and nVidia release their new cards in 2016, possibly even later.

8) PC gaming is still declining while console gaming is gaining, and AMD makes the chips in both the XBONE & PS4.

9) HPC tasks are GPU based now, and HPCs use IBM CPUs primarily.

10) And the most important reason: All the people who got the free upgrade to Windows 10 OEM will have to talk to Microsoft when they change their motherboard and hope they authorize the change and don't tell them to go pay $200 for a retail license.

Honestly I'd love to have Zen tomorrow, but you're talking about a $400 investment, if not more, between CPU, motherboard, and RAM, and that's not exactly the kind of funds I have just burning a hole in my pocket.

AMD x86 Zen Processors Rumored To Launch in Q4 2016 - R&D and Yield Rates Affect 14nm FinFET Node

• Re: Rumor: AMD Zen delayed till Q4 2016
          thedarkone198

my personal thoughts on each

1: hope so

2: not to mention AMD cards seem to be doing a LOT better with DX12 than nVidia,thanks to their asynchronous computer performance

3: if you mean Freesync,most of us likely dont have that. I certainly cant afford a monitor that uses it. I am personally using a HDMI 1080p 60Hz TV as a monitor. Cheap and easy.

4: I hope Zen is still more "price efficient" as I want to see AMD be the price/perf kings again

5: I hope Zen is going to have motherboards that do the same thing,I dont want to buy more RAM if I dont have to,DDR4 will likely still be as high next year. Would be cool to be able to add DDR4 later,mixed with my current DDR3 2133 sticks

6: That's the kind of thing that makes me absolutely despise Intel,there is being competitive and then there is being underhanded and that is what Intel is and they need to be punished for it heavily
          7: tons of people still game at 1080p or even less,the average gamer cannot afford a Fury or Fury X,or even a 390. My 380/285 crossfire cannot even really do it.

8: recent reports I have heard say that PC gaming is leveling out and as for AMD hardware in the consoles,thats also a good thing. Its rumored Nintendo's "NX" console will also use AMD

9: AMD is certainly wanting to get into HPC and I hope they make a big splash there with ZEN

10: THAT is the thing that worries me most about Windows 10 (aside from the spying,but I disabled a lot of stuff,including telemetry), I do not want to have to spend on a new license on my already free upgrade and Micro$oft better allow you to contact them and upgrade your boards and CPU easily. Its insane that they wouldn't make that easier but then again,Windows 10 uses everyone to test for problems and bugs in the OS,not a dedicated team,which is a lot safer.

I certainly would love Zen now too,it would be a great upgrade from my A10 7850K,not that thats a bad CPU. It handles my R9 380/R9 285 crossfire easily and I can play Witcher 3 on 1440p (downscaled to 1080p) on ultra,minus hairworks,of crouse. Very playable,though it may chop up on some occasions.