12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2015 1:27 PM by zodonnell

R9 Nano: Q&A with Victor Camardo

erin.maiorino

Hello Everyone  -

We are ready for your AMD Radeon R9 Nano questions for product manager, Victor Camardo. Please keep in mind this thread will be open for two hours (2PM - 4PM CT). After the session is complete, we will compile all your questions and give them to Victor to answer. You can expect your on-topic Nano questions to be answered in this thread in approximately 24 hours. We can't guarantee all questions will be answered, but we'll do our best!

Post away!

Nano-twitter-cover.jpg

EDIT 9/10 @ 4:05PM: Thank you for all the great questions! They will be answered in 24 hours.

EDIT 9/11 @5:05PM: You can find Victor's answers to your questions below. Look for another Q&A next month!

• Re: R9 Nano: Q&A with Victor Camardo
          butabal

Hey there AMD. Congrats on making an SFF builder's dream!

My question: I plan on water-cooling and overclocking the Nano in a tiny case. What kind of performance can I expect while watercooling+overclocking the Nano compared to the Fury X especially since the Nano is a higher binned card?

erin.maiorino

My question: I plan on water-cooling and overclocking the Nano in a tiny case. What kind of performance can I expect while watercooling+overclocking the Nano compared to the Fury X especially since the Nano is a higher binned card?

There has been some misconception out there that the Nano is an uber binned part.  Actually, both Nano and Fury X share the same ASIC configuration.  What differs is the audience and form factor the products are targeted for.  If you are interested in water cooling, aftermarket waterblocks are available for both the Nano and Fury X however the Nano is designed to be smaller and more power efficient with lower overall clocks and power delivery circuit.  The Fury X is the card you want if you intend to push the Fiji ASIC to the absolute limit.

- Victor

garwynn

1) The press statements showed an "average" gaming scenario of 175W, but what is the official max draw on the reference design? (Reviews are showing draws of 280W at full load, that's significantly higher than 175.)  This is helpful for people selecting a PSU to go along with this card.

2) Does AMD envision this a more of a niche product or more for a wider audience?

3) Are there any holes to mount a water-cooling solution in place of the reference design?

And would this be even possible or are there issues that would be encountered in trying to accomplish this?

(Was asked in the Twitch feed last week by another user and never saw an answer)

Thank you in advance for your time and support.

erin.maiorino

1) The press statements showed an "average" gaming scenario of 175W, but what is the official max draw on the reference design? (Reviews are showing draws of 280W at full load, that's significantly higher than 175.)  This is helpful for people selecting a PSU to go along with this card.

Because of HBM the power budget for Nano is fairly straightforward.  PowerTune allocates 150W to the ASIC at all times, which comprises of the core and memory.  We see that with typical apps and normal ambient conditions that you consume about 25W on the board itself due to conduction losses, powering other misc. components like the fan, etc.  I suspect the 280W numbers you are seeing on some review sites are actually the full system power and a 600W PSU should be more than enough for a mITX build.

2) Does AMD envision this a more of a niche product or more for a wider audience?

HBM is an inflection point in the graphics industry much like GDDR5 was. Though it may be considered niche now, so too were SSDs and 4K panels when they first arrived and now it’s pretty much the norm.  We believe this is where the graphics industry is heading and Nano is the perfect product that demonstrates both the power and space saving advantages of HBM technology.

3) Are there any holes to mount a water-cooling solution in place of the reference design?

And would this be even possible or are there issues that would be encountered in trying to accomplish this?

Waterblocks are already available in the market for the Fury X and we expect them to be announced for the Nano very shortly.

-Victor

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  twinkie08

I belive this has been ask to you a million times but this will be first time i you will be asked here in this Q&A.

1. Will you give me a sample r9 nano?

2. How about putting a lifetime warranty on r9 nano to disperse people worries about its size?

3. Will your future cards be using the HBM memory?

4. Aside from "size" what makes you think that this card is better than fury?

5. Is this the smallest size which is most efficient? or you can make it like 3cm longer to add stability?

erin.maiorino

1. Will you give me a sample r9 nano?

Absolutely!  And no, I’m not kidding. We have a case modder program going on right now (You can check out Elmy's mod here!) where we picked a handful of people around the world to show their best designs.  If you have a cool design or project you would like to do with the Nano we would definitely consider sending you a card!

2. How about putting a lifetime warranty on r9 nano to disperse people worries about its size?

All warranties are actually handled by our add in board partners and not directly with AMD.  Some of the board partners differentiate themselves with different length of their warranties and this information is available on their product pages.

3. Will your future cards be using the HBM memory?

I cannot comment directly on unannounced products however what I can say is that HBM is an inflection point in the market allowing for very innovative and game changing products such as the Nano.  The power and space savings enabled by HBM are the primary reason we can bring you such a powerful yet tiny and power efficient graphics card.  This technology will be very important in the graphics industry going forward.

4. Aside from "size" what makes you think that this card is better than fury?

We’ve designed the Fury series to address different customers so no one card is better than another.  Instead I would ask what kind of an end user am I and which card is right for me?  The Fury X was designed for those that demand the best.  Premium industrial design with a cool and quiet closed loop liquid cooler.  For those people who want a more traditional card with air cooling we have the Fury.  We’ve also opened this design up to our add in board partners so if you have a favorite design or partner you can purchase their design to match the rest of your components.  Finally we have the Nano which is intended for people building super small or mITX systems.  Actually, if you have a big case I would say do not buy a Nano… that would be silly and you would be much better off with a Fury or Fury X.  Nano is for people that want to build small gaming PCs for LAN events, case mods, or just like the look of small gaming boxes but do not want to compromise on performance.  There is no other card that brings this level of performance into the small form factor where many other “traditional” cards will not fit.

5. Is this the smallest size which is most efficient? or you can make it like 3cm longer to add stability?

Nano is the fastest most power efficient mITX card.  At 6” long it is 40% shorter than previous high end cards while at the same time being 30% faster than both the 290X or the 970 Mini.  Compared to the 290X it is also 20*C cooler, 16dBA quieter, and over 100W less power.  The only thing Nano about the card is its name.

-Victor

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                      zodonnell

Compared to the R9 Fury X how does this small card compare as far as thermals go, and if overclocked will I need to buy a water cooler to cool it, or can the single fan keep it at a relatively low temp.

erin.maiorino

Compared to the R9 Fury X how does this small card compare as far as thermals go, and if overclocked will I need to buy a water cooler to cool it, or can the single fan keep it at a relatively low temp.

Both Nano and Fury X share the same ASIC configuration.  What differs is the audience and form factor the products are targeted for.  If you are interested in water cooling aftermarket waterblocks are available for both the Nano and Fury X however the Nano is designed to be smaller and more power efficient with lower overall clocks and power delivery circuit.  The Fury X is the card you want if you intend to push the Fiji ASIC to the absolute limit.

- Victor

zodonnell

I to would be interested in the steps one would need to take to make a sponsored build, I got some neet ideas for a computer and plenty of machinery to make a custom case, but just not the funds to build the entire thing.