5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2015 9:00 AM by code_review

Incremental upgrade from desktop to dev workstation AM3+ FX on Win10Pro

code_review

Description

Built (2014 Q3) - I bought a CPU + motherboard deal at MicroCenter. CPU: FX-8320 3.5GHz at 95W, motherboard ASROCK 990FX Extreme 9 . At the time, parallelization of programs was a mainstream subject of discussion in both the (super)user/gamer communities and developers. Concurrent programming libraries abstract the details (and control), and the compiler makes optimizations to code that's meant to execute on multi-core machines....

0909151053.jpg

Specifications

CPUFX-4350 Black Vishera 4.2GHz
      CoolerCorsair 3x case fans, 1 high-pressure fan aimed at RAM and CPU
      MotherboardASROCK 990FX Extreme 9
      Memory32GB Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz installed (not sure why recently I have 24 GB available)
      GraphicsAMD Radeon R9-200 Series ( + possible spare HD Radeon 69XX card if it helps increase performance for this use case)
      Disc Drive 1SanDisk X210 512 GB SSD
      Disc Drive 2SAMSUNG 850 PRO
      Disc Drive 3ADATA SP600 SSD +5/8 SATA III SSD ports to fill...
      PSUEVGA 1300 G2
      CaseCorsair Graphite 600 series
      Monitor2x Dell P2314T multi-touch

Message was edited by: code review Made title more like the others' in the community. Was editing description...but lost changes. So this description is a little incomplete, sry about that, but the title basically says it all.

• Re: Incremental upgrade from desktop to dev workstation AM3+ FX on Win10Pro
          duramax08

Spaghetti everywhere . Sounds like maybe one of your 8GB sticks took a dump, or possibly the dimm slot went bad. We got a Dell like that here at work, after trying everything we found out it had a dead dimm slot .

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            thefuzz1542

i agree with duramax08, sounds like a bad stick. but i do some coding and heavy rendering and the one thing i never max out is my ram and I'm only running 16 gigs in duel channel @ 2400. could cut your ram size down and maybe get better performance. more is not always better. but first i would run one stick at a time to figure out which (if any) of the sticks are bad. if not then run one dimm slot at a time. then run AMD System Monitor during the heaviest programs you got and see how much ram you're actually using on its graph. it will tell you how much is total, free, in use and standby. if your not using enough to cut into last stick or two then remove em. can actually slow down you speeds by carrying to much extra and the more you have, the more things that can go wrong. also like dura said, might want to clean up the spaghetti. it doesn't just make it look better and free up air flow, but it will majorly cut back on static interference. and static interference is way more of a problem then people think. companies have spent millions into finding ways to protect components from it.

code_review

@

Yeah the spaghetti has been an issue I've meant to clean up for a while. I just don't know the best way, and and don't want to throw away my Corsair graphite 600 case if I can avoid it. There is an area of space where 3.5" HDDs would normally go, but no installation points for the 5 2.5" SSDs I have.

Would anyone have suggestions on where to look for mounting 5-8 SATA III 2.5" SSDs? (the last photo is my motherboard SATA III ports on RHS with storage container for drives on LHS).

Not sure if I installed RAMDisk in my last update of of CCC (below), or atm much about how it works. Do you think that is a possible way that 8 GB would not show up as usable because it's used by RAMDisk?

Lastly, I am using Oracle's VirtualBox because imho it's much easier to run Linux guests than using Hyper-V.

Thanks for the help!

catalyst-18-software.png

0915150105.jpg

thefuzz1542

It really sounds like something is hitting its limitations. From those stats the computer knows there is physically 32 GB installed but then it starts saying total memory 24GB. its almost like its turned off in bios or Win 10 cant use that much but i doubt that's the issue. have you played around in the BIOS memory settings at all? i would dig around in there and make sure there isn't something funny going on like 1/4 of the ram reserved for multi / virtual machines or by default, a wrong setting could be made once not many motherboards are set to use that much ram even if they can handle it. also remove one and boot up, see if its says you only have 16gb when you really have 24 installed. could also still be a issue of a bad stick or DIMM slot, even though it says it's seeing it doesn't mean it's usable. i actually had that happen a few times, can be a major pain to figure out. so run one stick at time on one dimm slot then if all sticks are good then run one dimm slot at a time. see what happens. also for the whole wiring issue. is there any room behind motherboard chassi and outer case door like in the photo below? if so that's a good way to hide em. Good Luck and keep us posted!

5.JPG

code_review

thefuzz1542,

I hear ya; that will be a worrisome and tedious process. I am almost paranoid about shutting down my PC since hitting about 2 irrecoverable blue screens, as the restore media (put on 32 GB flash drive) that never did its job. I don't know if you have Windows 10 Pro on your machine, and know what I'm talking about - it feels like the stable build 10240 which was installed with a retail license, is still a work-in-progress. I have to be very careful about virtualizing machines and configuring their network interface, or else I lose network connectivity.

Like you were saying, it's time to look at the BIOS settings, and check each DIMM. While in BIOS, I may as well look into how much I can overclock this 4.2 GHz FX-4350 Black (the clock rate and 90 USD price kinda made me want to experiment whether the 95W FX-8320 listed at 3.5 GHz vs. a FX-4350 listed at 4.2 GHz would perform better or worse. Will keep y'all posted.