1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 8, 2016 5:35 AM by nec_v20

First Build

nascarfreak3

Description

My first build from parts that I have won and bought. Don't have it up and running yet, but hope to get it going this month.

Upload your rig photos here!

1. Click Edit in the Actions menu to the right
      2. Click into this area
      3. Click the image icon in the text editor bar above to upload your image
      4. Delete these instructions
      5. Publish

Specifications

CPUIntel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core
      CoolerDeepcool Assassin ll
      MotherboardMSI Z97A GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150
      MemoryCorsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866MHz
      GraphicsDiamond Radeon HD 7850 2GB
      Disc Drive 1Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD
      Disc Drive 2
      Disc Drive 3{drive3}
      PSUInwin Commander II 1200W 80+ Bronze Certified
      CaseInwin GRone Gray ATX Full Tower Case
      Monitor
        • Re: First Build
          nec_v20

This is your first build and I am not wanting to have a go at you, but the one thing that struck me is that you chose the Inwin Commander II PSU.

With regard to any PSU it is at its most efficient at 50% (+/- 7%) load. With the hardware you have in your system you are running the PSU at the low end of its rated output and are thus wasting money on electricity.

It may be Bronze Certified, but with the hardware hardly warrants a 1200 Watt PSU. You would have been better off if you had bought a lower rated PSU and gone for a Platinum model which would have probably come out at about the same price. You can find a good deal on something like a Corsair AX860 (not the "i" version because I don't trust it) and you would have had enough power to go Crossfire with your GPU.

Your best bet is to look on a PSU calculator and then buy the the one you need according to the actual usage of your system.