23 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2017 1:25 PM by nachowarrior

How to install older drivers?

jiggs_casey

I can't seem to get an answer to this.  Hopefully someone can help.

I have had terrible trouble after downloading and attempting to install the latest drivers for my Radeon R9 270X.  The card is no longer recognized and the catalyst software will not run.

The card was working fine for nearly a year until this patch seemed to destroy everything.

I would like to install the old drivers that worked.  I have downloaded them, but I see no way to run them.  There is no install program associated with them that I can see.  There is a .run file, which looks to be the application . . . but I cannot run it.

I am hoping that the old drivers will prevent me from having to buy a new video card tomorrow.  Buying a new card (NOT a Radeon card) will seem to be my only option at this point.

I believe my R9 should still be covered under warranty since it is less than 1 year.  Purchased brand new at Best Buy.  I will attempt to recoup my money that way if the old drivers don't work.

Here's my system specs (installed Windows 10 since this was taken).

Windows 10

3.30 gigahertz AMD FX-6100 Six-Core

288 kilobyte primary memory cache

6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache

8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache

64-bit ready

Multi-core (3 total)

Hyper-threaded (6 total)

1000.10 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

801.45 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0 ATA Device [Optical drive]

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S ATA Device [Optical drive]

Board: ASRock 880GM-LE FX

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.20 01/12/2012

7920 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 4096 MB (serial number 805F0C03)

Slot 'DIMM1' has 4096 MB (serial number B35D0C03)

Standard VGA Graphics Adapter [Display adapter] (2x)  BECAUSE IT DOESN"T SEE MY RADEON

Gateway FHD2400 [Monitor] (24.0"vis, s/n MEY79D0N09868, September 2007)

Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

HID-compliant consumer control device (2x)

HID-compliant device (3x)

Razer Tartarus (2x)

Tartarus Input Device

USB Input Device (4x)

Live! Cam Socialize HD AF / ZiiCam (VF0690)

Built-in Infrared Device

HID Keyboard Device (2x)

Razer Tartarus [Keyboard]

HID-compliant mouse

Razer Tartarus [Mouse]

Generic USB Hub

USB Composite Device (3x)

USB Mass Storage Device

USB Root Hub (7x)

Generic volume shadow copy

H1_SD

• Re: How to install older drivers?
          kingfish

How to install graphics drivers

1. Manually select your graphics drivers HERE

Download/save to your desktop. 

2. Remove old drivers using 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel****

FOR COMPUTERS WITH INTEL PROCESSORS***

Select AMD Catalyst Install manager and EXPRESS uninstall all AMD software including the install manager. Reboot. Install the new driver suite. Reboot.

FOR COMPUTERS WITH AMD PROCESSORS***

Select AMD Catalyst Install manager and selectively uninstall the graphics drivers and CCC only. Reboot. Install the new driver suite. Reboot.

Note: Disable all anti-virus/ anti-malware/ anti-anything while performing the installation. Very important.

Please note that if you choose "Express Install" the new drivers, it will automatically install the 'Gaming Evolved' (raptr) app in addition to the drivers. If you do not wish to have raptr on your computer, choose 'Custom' install the new drivers and uncheck the box next to 'Gaming Evolved'.

jiggs_casey

Thanks Kingfish.  Unfortunately, I have these instructions memorized by heart by now . . . and they're not the answer.

The problem I'm having can be seen in this screenshot.  When I download the older patches I'm given a zip file which opens up a folder in which there are these files. amd_patch_address.jpg

As you can see, the "installer" is a .run file . . . which does not run.  When I click on it I'm presented with the error that says Windows can't run the file and does it want me to check on the web for an appropriate installer, which also fails.

So, again, how do I RUN a .run file?  Why is there no installer for old patches that works with Windows 7 or Windows 10 on my machine?

I'm downloading the patches straight from the AMD page and this is how they arrive.

Once again, I am at my wits end with this product.  INCREDIBLY deficient.

kingfish

Somethings wrong alright. When I open mine I am asked if I want to install/uninstall the (new) driver suite.

jiggs_casey

I just downloaded 14.12.  Here's the screenshot.

amdpatchdl.jpg

I'm going to "run" it . . . and we'll see what happens next.

jiggs_casey

Nnnnnope.

Same old error.

amd_error_4.jpg

Someone must know why I'm getting this error all of a sudden.  It did not happen the first time or two that I attempted to run the installer.  It happens every time now.

I am taking this card out tomorrow and buying a new one.  It's going to cost me about $250.  I paid about that much for this card less than a year ago.  I have no reason other than to blame the patch that AMD sent to my computer for this.  Everything worked just fine prior to downloading the patch.  I have done nothing out of the ordinary.  I have followed all of the directions for uninstall/install to the letter.

I will put in a warranty request.  I'm expecting that AMD will leave me out in the cold or blame this on something I have done (when I have done nothing other than follow the instructions that I was given for downloading the patch that they said was safe).

jiggs_casey

The one thing to report is that this time it DID open up the installer.  Not sure why that didn't happen previously.  I downloaded this one with Windows Explorer.  The other time was with Opera, which saved it to the "Downloads" folder.  I wonder if that's why?

Anyway, either way . . . it didn't work.

kingfish

Try it again but don't click run...choose 'view downloads' and double click the file.

jiggs_casey

Same error.

I tried to save it to a different folder.  I tried to create a folder on my C drive called AMD Driver but before I can name it I get:

amdadmin.jpg

This did not happen when I tried the same thing under Windows 7.  However, I did get the other FAIL error after installation using this method.

I wonder if this is a Windows 10 problem?

Why am I not the administrator of my own PC? I do not get it.  I hope this isn't some kind of VISTA sh*t that Windows 10 is foisting on me.  I HATED that operating system.  Windows 7 was great.

kingfish

Why not use the drivers Windows 10 is trying to give you? They are the latest AMD drivers.

jiggs_casey

Because when I downloaded and attempted to install those new drivers a week ago . . . it started all of this trouble.  THE OLD DRIVERS WORKED FINE.  I had NO problems on my computer UNTIL I attempted to install the 15.7.1 drivers.  (That's what we've been talking about in that other thread.)

NOTHING changed on my computer besides the installation of those drivers.

Those drivers CHANGED EVERYTHING.

How?  I have no idea.  All I know is that my expensive graphics card no longer works and I am going to have to replace it tomorrow.

I am not happy.  Not at all.

https://community.amd.com/message/2669156#2669156

jiggs_casey

I know I sound rather curt when responding.  This is only because I am quite frustrated with the way things have happened.  I absolutely do appreciate your help on these threads.

I'm going to take my Radeon card with me to Micro Center tomorrow.  Hopefully someone there can tell me if the card itself is fried or if perhaps it's something else.  When I buy a new NVIDIA card and try to install it I suppose I'll find out if it's something with my PC or if it's the R9 card.

If it's my PC I guess I'll just have to buy a whole new one of those.

All I know for sure is . . . I had NO problems up until attempting to install this AMD patch.

Oh, also . . . my soundcard is no longer showing 5.1 so . . . there's another problem that has happened since this patching mess.

warpfact0r10

I see a Windows.old folder in that screenshot, indicating you performed an upgrade installation of Windows 10, as opposed to a complete clean installation of Windows. That could factor into some of the problems you're experiencing now.

Also, you'll want to note that while the Windows 10 upgrade is free, ASRock doesn't have explicit Windows 10 support listed for your motherboard as you can observe here. You may want to consider a clean format/re-installation of Windows 7. This would include deleting all partitions on the drive where the operating system resides, so be sure to back up important data. If it works as expected in Windows 7, you may want to pass on Windows 10.

I have a 270X running on an ASRock board in my older system, but it is running Win 8.1 Enterprise so I can't install the Win 10 upgrade. If I manage to obtain a stand-alone copy of Win 10 I'll try to replicate your issues.

jiggs_casey

No, I have Windows 10, just like most of the civilized world.

I just tried to download previous drivers because the new one is causing problems (no surprise) and they are all in a .run format which apparently is only executable with LINUX or UMBUTO (or whatever the F they call it).

I am, once again, PISSED.  SO EFFING SICK OF THIS VIDEO CARD.  I kind of HOPE it breaks so that I HAVE to go buy an Nvidia card.  I will NEVER buy another g*ddamn AMD card because if anything goes wrong with it you can count on days and weeks of headache.

SICK OF THIS SH*T.

goodplay

As said before the graphics drivers for windows are exe.,and come with its' own installer.

You have downloaded the wrong drivers.

On the official amd driver download page , use "manually select......", or, the quicklink list in right side menu.

Save the download.

Un-install current driver as per "kingfish" guide, in this thread.

There is no reason to go into registry/driver files to install the new driver.

jiggs_casey

OK, when I google "install previous AMD drivers" it takes me to this page:

Previous AMD Embedded GPU and APU Drivers

I do see that the address ends in LINUX (I just noticed that).  Obviously (now that I see it) that is why I'm only able to get .run files from that page.

So, I followed your instructions and have tried to manually select my drivers . . . but it only seems to offer me the most recent drivers, which I do not want.

Desktop

There is no "quicklink" on the right side menu.  Not that I can see, anyhow.

Could you provide me with a link to the exact page where I am able to download the previous drivers for Windows (.exe).

It is a shame that the process seems to be so difficult.  I do appreciate the help though.

warpfact0r10

The link Kingfish provided you originally does work. I'll repost it again for your convenience: link

goodplay

The 15.7.1 & 15.10 beta are the only win 10 drivers available from amd.

What driver vers.are you looking for(for win 10).

14.12 and earlier are not win 10.

warpfact0r10

I see a Windows.old folder in that screenshot, indicating you performed an upgrade installation of Windows 10, as opposed to a complete clean installation of Windows. That could factor into some of the problems you're experiencing now.

Also, you'll want to note that while the Windows 10 upgrade is free, ASRock doesn't have explicit Windows 10 support listed for your motherboard as you can observe here. You may want to consider a clean format/re-installation of Windows 7. This would include deleting all partitions on the drive where the operating system resides, so be sure to back up important data. If it works as expected in Windows 7, you may want to pass on Windows 10.

I have a 270X running on an ASRock board in my older system, but it is running Win 8.1 Enterprise so I can't install the Win 10 upgrade. If I manage to obtain a stand-alone copy of Win 10 I'll try to replicate your issues.

monster11w

Ok.. im having this same problem..ive legit tried everything.. i made the game playable kinda of.. my fps jumps from 100-250 lags when loading other tabs in csgo.

im just gonna wait till next update.. i also dont think the old drives use win 10..

ive tried everything reinstalling, uninstalling, older drivers, high pro, temps fine, everything fine.

Standard VGA Graphics Adapter [Display adapter] (2x)  BECAUSE IT DOESN"T SEE MY RADEON-- Go to amd site and find your drive(had same prob)

7920 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory Thats 8gbs of ram usable. I dont remember what i did but i got mine fix look it up)

IT Could be a problem with the older cards. with the new update. you have 3.30 gigahertz AMD FX-6100 Six-Core.   i have 7770 six core.. both oldish cards..  contact amd about it

what i had when it was working perf.. windows 10.. so thats not a issue.. i tried on windows 7 before upgrading to 10.. on the same driver.. still bad.

so its not a OS issue..

in your case fix you (RAM) to much of it is unusable. 1TB of mem.. fix that.. also unpark cores.. ive done all that and all my setting on lowest. still studdering fps..

also in csgo. props. lunch options.. in steam type this -novid -nod3d9ex -threads x -high  (x being about of cores you have)

.. hope this helps someone cause it.. kinda helped me..

nachowarrior

The issue is an unstated compatibility issue between the 880x and the Rx series of graphics cards.  I have spent the better part of a few years working on a solution for this with newer drivers/os/etc. the only options are to change hardware (mobo and chipset) or to use the old drivers.

you can download the OLD 14.x graphics drivers from your manufacturers website. if not, go to sapphiretech and get yours from them. Seeing as how sapphire doesn't edit t he drivers in any way, it's just a stock amd graphics driver.  Check it out.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/download.asp?lang=eng

punch in your gfx card type. (model numbers will be different if on a different product line, but just stick with the same chip and it should work fine.

the key is to DOUBLE CLICK THE MODEL NUMBER OF THE GFX CARD... DO NOT HIT the orange "download now" button.

This then brings up a page like this:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?Pid=30FBA531-261D-412A-B0D1-61C8AC711B41&tag=download&lang=eng

where you will be able to click a button that says "show all downloads" it's giant and blue.

then simply scroll down to the 14.x drivers, download and install...  merry f**king christmas, amd no longer supports your chipset!

hope you get this, if not, it'll necropost for anyone else that has this issue.