2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2016 10:13 AM by seanjamest

r9 290 black screen at login

ne0rmatrix

Ok having issue with Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce (Model #: GV-R929WF3-4GD)  on Windows 10 64 bit. I have an Asus Maximus Hero VII (Part #: 90MB0100-M0AAY0) I am running an Intel Core I7 4790K CPU (Product code: BX8064174790K) and 8 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Not pulling system apart to get info sorry). I have a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD as boot drive. I have a 500GB Western Digital Green drive on Sata 2 channel. I have a Western Digital Green 2TB drive on Sata 3 Channel. I have a LG Bluray drive on SATA channel 4. 650 Watt PSU. No overclocking of CPU or Video card. Other than issue below system is behaving fine. Can play World of warcraft for 18 hours. System is incredibly stable and video cards works beautifully in games. Never had any overheating issues. No virus issues. Issue is repeatable upon 5 tested reinstalls with nothing other than catalyst and windows updates applied to affected version which includes windows 7,8,8.1 and 10. Issue occurs with vanilla install as soon as any version of catalyst is installed. Happens in both AMD and Intel configurations and upon removal of card and replacement with any other AMD card behaves normally. Card behaves normally upon warm boot.

Problem I am having is on cold boot after I log in and desktop loads i get a black screen within 30 seconds to 2 min almost every cold boot. Screen just goes black with no recovery. No blue screen of memory dump made. Monitor just goes black and video ouput ceases. I have this issue with both and old AMD system and the new Intel system listed above. On warm reboot system behaves normally every time. Issue is repeatable upon reinstall of either Windows 7,8,8.1 and 10. It happens with at least last 5 versions of Catalyst drivers. Includes both current beta and stable versions on AMD site and default Windows Update downloaded versions. Have not gone back more than 5 previous versions. Have used tools to remove old versions. Have tried fresh install on last 2 versions to make sure it was not uninstaller or junk files making issues. Currently if I remove video card and replace with any other card whether it be an old AMD HD 5450 or Nvidia 650 i have no issues. So any suggestions?

• Re: r9 290 black screen at login
          brozly

I've had Similar problems, caused by the input changing from DVI to HDMI, sometimes it will do this in Windows as well, and I'll have a Blank Desktop with no icons...

• Re: r9 290 black screen at login
              seanjamest

I have had this issue as well, the display would work right up to when the windows login would be due to appear, then the black screen would happen.  I have a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x running via HDMI, windows 7, intel i7 2600k on Asus z68 motherboard. 8 gig ram @ 1866. I have gone through every step you have as well (DDU, CCleaner, Vbios, etc) i found the only answer was to install 14.12 omega (without anything other than the display driver, hdmi driver  and CCC). I have MSI afterburner to control fan, oc, etc. Since then no problems (been about 3 days). Definitely driver issue as the only thing that would cause a black screen is any update from after 14.12 being installed.