AnsweredAssumed Answered

Radeon 7870 won't show anything

Question asked by rabiet on Sep 1, 2015

Hello there,

as the title already teases, my Saphire AMD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition stopped working.

The first thing that happened were quite a lot of grey-striped screens which always forced me to restart my PC. These screens showed when I played some game (mainly CS:GO with frame lock on 100, so the card wasn't even in heavy use) after about 10 to 20 minutes. When I restarted the PC it wouldn't happen again that day. After some research I learned these are memory related and usually caused by cards with bad memory. Since my 7870 is about 3 years old and the problem wasn't there in the beginning I don't think that is the case.

One day, the card again made that grey screen, I rebooted, but the screen remained black and the monitor never got a signal. I tried removing and replugging the card in but that didn't help. Hoping this problem wasn't related to the card, I tried putting it in another PC. BIOS post was on screen, everything worked fine. When I got the card back in my PC it worked fine again. After a few days, the same thing happened. I tried putting the card in another PC but nothing on screen. Since my PC has an Intel Onboard Graphics chip, I wanted to find out if Windows would recognize the card, even if it doesn't show anything but when I try to start Windows with the Onboard graphics the only thing I see is a Bluescreen giving me the error "thread_stuck_in_device_driver". If I remove the card the error does not show up.

So, is my card finally dead or is there any chance of getting it back to life? I'm completely fine if I would have to clock it down a bit if that would help and be possible, since I could get along with a bit less than the full performance. Due to the age of the card, RMA is not a possibility.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rabiet

In case you need it. My Specs:
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX

BIOS Version: 2303

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570

Ram: 16GB 1333MHz

Video Card: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7870

Outcomes