1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 26, 2015 8:04 AM by kingfish

Unable to update Radeon 6470m on Vaio laptop. After update the name of driver changes to Radeon 7400m and stops working. Solution?

vijaymaha

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Laptop - Vaio S series(VPCSB36FA) with swithcable graphics (AMD/Intel)

• I first noted this problem when I tried updating my driver using the Auto detect feature in the AMD website, it detects my Graphic card as AMD Radeon 7400m even though I have Radeon 6470m.
      • I again faced this problem when I upgraded my laptop to Win10 where it auto updated my driver on installation to 7400m. (Thus I had to revert back to Win7)
      • I am not even able to use my catalyst Control because of this problem.

Please provide a solution to this problem, Ive searched online about this and many people have this problem but not many are able to solve it. I will provide all the help I can to solve this problem.

Cheers.

• Re: Unable to update Radeon 6470m on Vaio laptop. After update the name of driver changes to Radeon 7400m and stops working. Solution?
          kingfish

Your laptop is equipped with switchable graphics. In order to update the AMD driver, the Intel graphics should be the current version.

Go to this Intel link, and manually ( do not use the Intel Driver Update Utility) find the latest graphics driver for your laptop, as pictured.

Download and save it to your desktop. (If you don't know which version of Intel graphics you have, look in device manager.)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

Screenshot_2_1.png

Download these AMD drivers to your desktop.

For Windows 8.1 or Windows 7

Downloads | techPowerUp

Now delete the Intel drivers from your computer using 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel.

Uninstall the AMD drivers from your computer using the 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel.

NOTICE IMPORTANT AMD DRIVER UNINSTALL:******

******Computers with Intel processors select 'express' uninstall all AMD software including the install manager.

******Computers with AMD processors custom uninstall the AMD graphics driver and Catalyst Control Panel only.

Reboot.

Note: All anti-malware/anti-virus/anti-anything should be disabled during driver installation.

Install the Intel drivers...reboot

Install the AMD drivers...reboot

AMD+Community+PSU.jpg