AnsweredAssumed Answered

R9 390 + catalyst 15.7.1 drivers + windows 10 = problems everywhere

Question asked by funkadikto on Aug 31, 2015
Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 by funkadikto

I HAVE EDITED SOME THINGS ON THE POST:

Hi guys.

I just got a brand new Sapphire R9 390 8gb Nitro last week. This is my first high end graphic card since I got the GeForce 9800, 8 or 9 years ago. Boy, the graphic cards are EXPENSIVE this days.

Well, to the point. Did I said I got a new sapphire R9 390 nitro last week? Well, it´s been the hardest working week of my life, spending hours and hours trying to make the graphic card to work. Too much time, taking into consideration what this cards costs. And, until now, the graphic card just won´t work.

I have an Asrock z97 Extreme 4 motherboard, 16 gb of g skill trident x cl 10 ddr3 ram, an i5 4690k core with an CoolerMaster EVO 212 cpu cooler, and a Tacens Mars Gaming 700W PSU.  Also, and most important to the matter, I have WINDOWS 10 installed.

So, I installed the graphic card. Everything seems fine, no troubleshooting or crashes while installing. I do some gpu benchmarks. Everything still ok. So I start playing GTA V on high/ultra settings to really test the graphic card. After a while, like 30 minutes later, the computer reboots. Being aware  that I could have overheating or PSU problems with this card, I downloaded Sapphire strixx software to monitor gpu temps and workload, downgraded GTA V settings to normal/high and started playing again. The pc reboots again. So, at that point, I was starting to get convinced I had overheating problems or my PSU didn´t have enough WATTS to handle the graphic card. With this in mind, I downloaded Furmark to stress test the card, just to confirm the card can overheat itself (or the entire system) to a point where the computer needs to reboot to avoid any damage and/or to check if the graphic card could drain enough WATTS from the PSU to the point where the pc just didn´t have enough energy to work. I´m using a 24" inch monitor with a max resolution of 1920x1080p, so I run the Furmark Burn-in stress test at 1080p with x4 atialiasing. For hours and hours. To my surprise, the Sapphire R9 390, running at a 100% workload and 80ºC for a few hours, passed the test everytime I did it without crashing or rebooting my pc once. So I though maybe it was GTA V the problem.

So I installed Wasteland 2, Planet Side 2, Warframe and Tomb Raider (2013) to see if those games worked alright. And you know what? My pc reboots randomly in everyone of those games. It doesn´t matter which one I was playing, my pc would reboot at some point (THIS HAD TO GIVE A CLUE...)

So, it finally comes to the drivers... Holy drivers. So, I start looking around and see that Windows 10 has installed AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 drivers. I checked on internet and discovered those are the ones I want installed if using Windows 10. So, to make shure it wasn´t a driver conflict (the previous card was a Sapphire R9 270), I unistalled the drivers using the "configuration-system-apps-amd catalyst unistall" method, then, I download last version of DDU Utility, go to safe mode, unistall drivers and then restarted Windows and intalled the 15.7.1 drivers again. The first time, letting Windows 10 to auto-install them, the second time, using DDU to block the hardware auto-installation so I could install the drivers manually using the ones on Sapphire web site. No luck there, same problem. Benchmarks ok, games rebooting the pc. So I clean installed Windows 10 from a usb pen, formating the hard drives first. No luck this time neither same results.

So, I start looking if there is any other driver that I can use on Windows 10, and you what? there isn´t any. Some people say that they´ve installed 14.12 omega drivers or 15.6 beta. Well, I did try to install those, but off course, the system just got obliterated when I did that, trying to install drivers ment to Windows 7 and 8 on Windows 10. I had to remove the graphic card, start the system using the DVI output from the motherboard and unistall those drivers, because the pc went into the classic "blackscreen" mode that you get when you try to force things.

So, one week later, a 360 € (400$) high end graphic card is giving me the incredible experience of been able to play every single game for around 40 minutes before rebooting my pc. THE OPTIONS ARE: I HAVE A FAULTY GRAPHIC CARD, CATALYST 15.7.1 JUST DON´T WORK ON WINDOWS 10, OR IT CAN BE A PSU PROBLEM.

SO, I THINK I´VE FINALLY SOLVED THE ISUE. THERE WHERE SOME CLUES ALONG THE WAY BUT I WASN´T AWARE AT THAT TIME. THANKS TO THE GUYS REPLYING.

I BOUGH A NEW CPU (A GOOD ONE) AND THAT SEEMS TO HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM. I WASN´T SHURE OF THAT BECAUSE THE GRAPHIC CARD WAS DOING OK IN EVERY STRESS TEST AND THE COMPUTER WASN´T REBOOTING AT ALL DOING THOSE TEST. AT THAT MOMENT, I WAS GUESSING IT COULDN´T BE AN OVERHEATING PROBLEM (WHICH IT WASN´T) OR A PSU PROBLEM BECAUSE OF GRAPHIC BENCHMARKS DOING PRETTY WELL. ERROR. I COULD HAVE GUESS, AND THIS IS THE POINT, THAT GRAPHIC CARD STRESS TESTS DON´T LOAD THE CPU, BUT GAMES DO. AND NOW I KNOW BOTH CPU (HASWELL IN MY CASE) AND GPU USE THE PSU 12V RAIL. SO, WHEN GAMES LOADED BOTH CPU AND GPU, MY OLD PSU COULDN´T HANDLE THE ENERGY CONSUMING OF BOTH. i´M NOT EDITING THE REST OF THE POST BECAUSE I THINK IT DESCRIBES THE PROCESS OF TROULE SHOOTING AND RESEACH I DID PRETTY WELL AND I MAY HELP OTHERS THAT ARE EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM.

IF YOU DON´T HAVE OVERHEATING PROBLEMS, BENCHMARKS AND GRAPHIC CARD STRESS TEST ARE OK, BUT GAMES ARE KILLING YOUR COMPUTER... IT MAY WELL BE YOU DON´T HAVE THE ADECUATE PSU TO HANDLE A R9 390 CARD.

Mensaje editado por: Pedro Peña Snow

Outcomes