88 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2016 5:49 AM by nospheratu

RSOD - Crossfire with Catalyst / Crimson drivers on select games/applications on Windows 10 x64

nospheratu

TL;DR: Red Screen of Death occurs immediately when 3Dmark, Crysis 3, Metro Last Light, Grid Autosport, Project Cars and Alien Isolation launch into fullscreen mode when Crossfire is enabled and running the 15.7, 15.7.1, 15.7.1 Hotfix1, 15.7.1 Hotfix2 and 15.8 beta drivers. If I create a custom profile for Metro Last Light with AFR Friendly Crossfire Mode, Metro Last Light does not BSOD/RSOD on startup and plays without issue. Crysis 3 works with an AFR Friendly Crossfile Profile as well with no BSOD/RSOD but certain textures are dark. 3Dmark also works with an AFR Friendly profile. The BSOD/RSOD does not occur when playing the following games Thief(2014), Sniper Elite 3, Tomb Raider(2013), Mortal Kombat X and Unreal Tournament 3 (both cards confirmed working flawlessly in Crossfire by using "Show AMD CrossireX status Icon" from the Catalyst System tray icon). These Crossfire RSOD's do not occur at all when running the 15.6 beta's for Windows 8.1.

TL;DR

On Windows 10 Pro x64, when I start select 3D applications/games with 7970M Crossfire enabled and the application/game launches to fullscreen mode from the Windows desktop, my laptop immediately crashes with a blank red screen of death (RSOD) and then reboots after Windows has completed creating the dump file. Usually there is a millisecond of what looks like corrupted textures before the blank red screen comes up.

- Only occurs when Crossfire is enabled with drivers 15.7, 15.7.1, 15.7.1 Hotfix1, 15.7.1 Hotfix2 and 15.8 beta.

- Does not occur with 15.6 beta for Windows 8.1 x64 (14.502.1014.1001)

- If I create a custom profile for Metro Last Light with AFR Friendly Crossfire Mode, Metro Last Light does not BSOD/RSOD on startup and plays without issue. Crysis 3 works with an AFR Friendly Crossfile Profile as well with no BSOD/RSOD but certain textures are dark. 3Dmark also works with an AFR Friendly profile. I have not tested the other games with the different Crossfire Modes.

- These BSOD/RSOD's occur on the following applications that I am able to test with 3Dmark Firestrike, Crysis 3, Metro Last Light, Grid Autosport, Project Cars and Alien Isolation.

- The BSOD/RSOD does not occur when playing the following games Thief(2014), Sniper Elite 3, Tomb Raider(2013), Mortal Kombat X and Unreal Tournament 3 (both cards confirmed working flawlessly in Crossfire by using "Show AMD CrossireX status Icon" from the Catalyst System tray icon).

- The BSOD/RSOD does not occur when Crossfire is disabled or if the application/game is run in window mode.

I have tested each graphic card independantly in the first pci-express slot and I receive no errors. I have also tried another crossfire cable to rule out that as a possible cause but since I dont receive the error with 15.6 Beta's and I'm able to workaround the error in Metro Last Light and Crysis 3 with a custom Crossfire profile using AFR, I dont think its hardware related.

My hardware is not overclocked. I have stress tested my RAM using Memtest at boot for 11 passes, my CPU using Prime95 for 12 hours with the blend setting and GPU's using 15.6 beta's for Windows 8.1 with 3Dmark's "Run Primary Test's" which runs all tests including their demo's consecutively. No errors occured in any of these tests.

As I mentioned the RSOD does not occur after a period of time when gaming, it occurs immediately when select applications/games launch into fullscreen mode when Crossfire is enabled and running the 15.7, 15.7.1, 15.7.1 Hotfix1 and 15.7.1 Hotfix2 drivers. I do not have an integrated GPU, the 7970M's are dedicated cards in my machine.

Please find Windows 10 memory dumps at the link below. It includes minidumps as well as full memory dumps, hence the size. I have used WinRAR to compress the files using RAR5 in order to reduce the file size from 19GB to 2GB.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8IDXugAxTo-QkJvR2N6Z0lOejA/view?usp=sharing

MD5: CDAF44E9EF2CF8533D0B2B87CEBAAA6A

I'm sure you will be able to retrieve some of my system specifications from the Windows dump files but I have included it below in the interests of being thorough.

Alienware M17X R2

CPU: Intel Core i7 920XM

RAM: 2 x 4GB Samsung DDR3

GPU: 2 x Clevo AMD Radeon 7970M

HDD: 256GB Samsung 830 Series SSD

• Re: RSOD - Crossfire and 15.7, 15.7.1, 15.7.1 Hotfix1 and 15.7.1 Hotfix2 drivers on select games/applications on Windows 10 x64
          loafer987

Im having exactly the same issue. Absolutely identical. Xfire on with any of these drivers = completely red screen while the program appears to be loading. Turning off Xfire or using windows 7 with the older drivers seems to work fine.

My specs are

Alienware M17xR2

intel i7 920xm

2x8gb ddr3 (16gb total)

Mushkin deluxe 240gb ssd.

RGB LED 1920x1200 LCD 17"

• Re: RSOD - Crossfire and 15.7, 15.7.1, 15.7.1 Hotfix1 and 15.7.1 Hotfix2 drivers on select games/applications on Windows 10 x64
              loafer987

Sorry, just so people dont have to assume or guess... I am also using dual 7970m gpus but to my knowledge they are both dell models.

nospheratu

Thanks for confirming loafer987  I'm really glad I'm not alone in this. keroppi667 is also experiencing similar symptoms although in TriFire mode with a desktop. I have also tried the new 15.8 beta's which was released yesterday and I experience the same problem.

I seem to have found a workaround which I mentioned in my original post but it does work for 3Dmark and Alien Isolation as well. Create a custom application profile in CCC for any of the apps/games you experience this error with.  Make sure you change the Crossfire mode under the profile to AFR friendly. For 3Dmark make sure you create profiles for all .exe's under the 3Dmark /x64 folder apart from the update executable. Previously I only created a profile for 3Dmark.exe which is why I think it still failed with the RSOD. I still get a millisecond of corrupt textures in full screen before the first test screen with the loading bar appears but at least it doesn't RSOD. Alien Isolation also works perfectly with an AFR profile which I havent tried before.

I've sort of reached the conclusion that the Crossfire profiles for these particular games are messed up and are using shared code which is why only particular apps/games exhibit this symptoms.

I have already logged it on AMD's bug report form and opened a support ticket on AMD's online service request form but it would help immensely if you could do the same.

keroppi667 requested me to try to replicate an error with Tomb Raider (2013). V-Sync on/double buffer causes graphical corruption and Triple buffer will give a RSOD as soon as you hit apply. Please try to replicate this if you have the game. I will do the same and report back.

keroppi667

No, nospheratu you are definitely not alone.

For the sake of completion, I will re-post my particular situation here, in more detail, outside of PM, as requested.

Windows 10 x64 Pro

Xeon E5-2663 v3 (2.9/3.3Turbo/25MB/10 core)

Asus X99 Deluxe MB

Ballistix 16GB DDR4 2133

OCZ Vertex 3 SSD

Lepa G1600 1.6KW PS

1 x ASUS Strix R9 390

2 x Sapphire R9 290 (Reference)

I, like nospheratu have ruled this out as a hardware problem. I have a power supply that can kill a horse, have tested everything from stock, all the way down to the maximum underclock Afterburner will let me. Furmark and everything else shows that all is healthy.

The 390 alone = working

2x 290 crossfire = working

390 + 290s = fail.

I have made sure to underclock the 390 to match the 290 speeds. (As an aside, not doing so manually *WILL* cause problems like reboots during Furmark and *also* need to be addressed by AMD).

I have also tried the 15.8 betas last night with no success. DDU cleaner for each new driver, etc.

This seems to be a matter of settings, as it does not appear to be specifically architecture realted, as it is happening on (at least) Pitcairn and Hawaii chips...but what I find odd in my particular situation is that the 390 is so closely based on the 290 (both Hawaii), yet the 290 crossfire works fine alone.

It has got to be a matter of particular instructions causing this, as Shadow of Mordor also exhibits the same issues with VSync as Tomb Raider, as well as when setting the 'Mesh Quality' to 'Ultra'.

The symptoms are very consistent, just like nospheratu I can also can run 3D Mark fine as long as it's windowed. I ran it all the way to 5K internal resolution without issue.

However, I have done nowhere near as extensive of software testing/crossfire AFR profiling as nospheratu has, but I didn't really need to, as I managed to find issues in 3 of the first 5 titles I ran.

Worth noting: 3D Mark 11 and Vantage didn't cause any issues on their default setting.

When I get home tonight I will test all of the above listed titles and see what I come up with, but I expect it to be more of the same hit or miss, depending on the title in question.

For anyone at AMD: I have nearly 4000 titles *installed* and ready to run on Steam; I will be happy to test any settings on any titles for anyone. I would really hate to have to RMA this card, and sadly, I have only about 2 weeks until I have to.

nospheratu

Thanks for adding your experiences to this thread well keroppi667 . I have completed the test with Tomb Raider and can confirm that changing vsync to Triple Buffer in game causes an immediate RSOD when I click the Apply button. I cannot replicate the double buffer issue though.

I can also confirm that 3Dmark11 works perfectly for me with no RSOD in sight.

I'm not certain if they updated the Crossfire profiles on the 15.7+ drivers since I dont get this on 15.6. It could also be that they havent updated the profiles and a function or method the profile uses was updated. These are all guesses though but we have to make AMD aware somehow.

Please open a support ticket with the link provided in my previous post if you have not already done so. Thanks.

I have received a response on my support ticket that I logged. I have copied and pasted it below. I have tried the instructions but it did not have any effect. I didnt think it would but it never hurts to try. I think the support agent saw "red screen" in my message and immediately assumed "red screen when installing the driver".

Response and Service Request History:

As i understand you are facing Redscreen issue.

Try these steps:

Uninstall amd drivers using the Display Driver Uninstaller program in safe mode.

start the driver installation and under installation type go for custom

Install just the driver. some options are mandatory dont worry about those. After the installation is done reboot

Now install remaining items except for catalyst control center. Again don't worry about mandatory stuff. after the installation is done reboot again

install catalyst control center it should work fine .

If you have further queries do revert back.

Thank you.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

I will follow up with them and report back. Hopefully something good comes out of this.

nospheratu

keroppi667 Did you mange to try Tomb Raider with an AFR friendly profile and enable triple buffering in game? I just did and I did not get a RSOD. I tried it multiple times to be sure and I couldnt get the machine to RSOD at all. The main menu screen appears to be washed out though which is most likely because of the custom application profile but in game everything is normal.

There must be a common reason why the driver is branching to the code that causes this behaviour with AMD's default Crossfire profiles and our hardware. SInce they have the WinDBG symbols for the atikmdag.sys driver, debugging my Windows dump files shouldnt be an issue. If only someone from their driver dev team would look at it

Creating and using an application profile with AFR friendly rendering for all apps/games that exhibit this behaviour isn't feasible considering the graphical anomalies we might encounter.

keroppi667

nospheratu No, I didn't try adjusting any crossfire profiles. I will see if I can't get a chance to try it tonight.

I am willing to bet if a dev would look at this issue in detail, they'd have it diagnosed rather quickly. It's not some intermittent problem; it is (very predictably) reproduce-able.

However, I fear I will have to scrap my setup before any of them even get notice, much less around to looking at it. 

Even if they did notice, they generally only release drivers once a month, and they *just* gave us the (equally unusable) 15.8 beta. That is, unless they considered this issue a "critical" bug fix. I personally feel like our machines straight up rebooting is pretty friggin' critical, but the dev team may not agree.

BTW, how long did it take you to get a reply after you opened a service ticket? I haven't gotten anything except the automated reply back, I opened the ticket early yesterday. Probably because I told them in the original ticket that I had already tried the suggestion they gave you.

nospheratu

I logged it on Saturday and they responded yesterday. I havent had another response from them after I replied to their message though. I will update the thread as soon as they get back to me.

From my troubleshooting I've come to the conclusion that the last driver that did not exhibit this bug is the 13.1 Cats. Windows 10 just made it more apparent which is probably a good thing granted it gets the attention it deserves and is fixed.

I suspect a lot of users experiencing BSOD's or reboots that seem unrelated stem from this bug in the drivers. When analysing my Windows dump file I noticed the memory address that caused the bugcheck is always the same for me which means a particular area/function in the driver is to blame.

keroppi667

nospheratu Testing report:

I ran an AFR profile on Tomb Raider and setting triple-buffer worked, same as you. This is definitely the same problem.

I also got a chance to test Metro LL and it RSOD *until* AFR friendly, just like yours.

Also, Thief (2014), Sniper Elite 3, Mortal Kombat X all run beautiful like you.

I don't have Crysis 3 & PCARS (need to fix that) and for some reason GRID Autosport won't boot (need to check my data integrity on that one)

I forgot about UT3, and about reached my dozen RSOD quota limit for the last hour

Alien Isolation: does *not* RSOD *BUT* I had forgotten, I have an Oculus Rift and updated the XML config file (one-liner) as described here so you might want to try that and see if it runs (it will look all distorted by design but should still be legible enough to start the game).

Up until a couple of days ago, I had a set of 5870s tri-fire in this machine, and never had any issues. Seeing as I have a 390 in the mix, I can't go anywhere near as far down as 13.1 Cats, the furthest I could go was some (modified) 15.20 (gotta love their ridiculous naming) and the issue persisted.

I had not really hunted the memory address other than to confirm it was consistent. Bet yours is the same:

caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x32D1A)
                                  Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800C8372D1A, 0xFFFFD0003EBEC778, 0xFFFFD0003EBEBF90)
                                  Error:
                                  SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys

Fingers crossed they actually notice this issue and get it worked out.

nospheratu

Brilliant post keroppi667

These results aren't even similar, they are EXACTLY the same! My RSOD dump even points to the exact same bugcheck code and symbol name! I think I can safely say you were running the 15.8 Beta's when the RSOD occured. I pulled the below info from WinDBG.

BugCheck 7E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff80094cf2d1a, ffffd00020bfa8b8, ffffd00020bfa0d0}

Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+32d1a )

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (7e)

This is a very common bugcheck.  Usually the exception address pinpoints

the driver/function that caused the problem.  Always note this address

as well as the link date of the driver/image that contains this address.

With 15.7.1 the symbol name is consistantly atikmdag+329fa.

I forgot to mention that it seems Mortal Kombat X doesn't have a Crossfire Profile as yet and will default to single card rendering. I forced Crossfire through CCC's "Enable AMD CrossfireX for applications that have no associated application profile". I confirmed the game was running in Crossfire mode by enabling the "Show AMD CrossfireX status icon (where applicable)" from the system tray.

I tried to run Alien Isolation with the Stereo mode setting to "Rift" but it doesnt launch at all. I can see the executable pop up on Task Manager processes but it disappears after a few seconds. I assume its looking for the Occulus Rift drivers/software and closes when it cannot find it.

For any AMD driver's devs's that hopefully has been made aware of this thread here is a few WindDBG commands that will provide you with some information from the dump when using 15.8 beta's.

4: kd> !lmi atikmdag.sys

Loaded Module Info: [atikmdag.sys]

Module: atikmdag

Base Address: fffff80094cc0000

Image Name: atikmdag.sys

Machine Type: 34404 (X64)

Time Stamp: 55d7d9fb Sat Aug 22 04:10:03 2015

Size: 150f000

CheckSum: 14a3688

Characteristics: 22 

Debug Data Dirs: Type  Size     VA  Pointer

CODEVIEW    5d, 3175e0,  3161e0 RSDS - GUID: {6041683D-F699-492F-84C7-B1CC1B3E2D01}

Age: 1, Pdb: c:\workarea\15.201.1151\drivers\kmd\build\wNow64a\B_rel\atikmdag.pdb

??    10, 317640,  316240 [Data not mapped]

Image Type: MEMORY   - Image read successfully from loaded memory.

Symbol Type: NONE     - PDB not found from image header.

Load Report: no symbols loaded

4: kd> kv L12

Child-SP          RetAddr           : Args to Child                                                           : Call Site

ffffd000`20bf98a8 fffff802`591755d8 : 00000000`0000007e ffffffff`c0000005 fffff800`94cf2d1a ffffd000`20bfa8b8 : nt!KeBugCheckEx

ffffd000`20bf98b0 fffff802`5915504f : 10c6548b`4cc08b41 d2854d70`2454894c 011824ac`8b44dc74 5c8944fb`8b450000 : nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+0xcd8

ffffd000`20bf98f0 fffff802`5916bd3d : 00000000`00000000 ffffd000`20bf9a90 fffff802`5939a500 83415f74`06fd8341 : nt!_C_specific_handler+0x9f

ffffd000`20bf9960 fffff802`5908c050 : 00000000`0000000c fffff800`93d09cb0 fffff800`93d03320 000004f8`840fd285 : nt!RtlpExecuteHandlerForException+0xd

ffffd000`20bf9990 fffff802`59088c78 : ffffd000`20bfa8b8 ffffd000`20bfa5d0 ffffd000`20bfa8b8 ffffd000`00000001 : nt!RtlDispatchException+0x4e8

ffffd000`20bfa0a0 fffff802`59170782 : 00000b60`00000b60 00000080`00000000 00000000`00000080 00000000`00001000 : nt!KiDispatchException+0x144

ffffd000`20bfa780 fffff802`5916eea2 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiExceptionDispatch+0xc2

ffffd000`20bfa960 fffff800`94cf2d1a : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiPageFault+0x222 (TrapFrame @ ffffd000`20bfa960)

ffffd000`20bfaaf0 fffff800`94cf2c11 : ffffe000`e6059020 fffff800`94d829b3 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : atikmdag+0x32d1a

ffffd000`20bfab20 fffff800`94db497c : ffffe000`e8d8fc40 ffffd000`20bfac70 ffffd000`20bfabb0 fffff800`94dedf73 : atikmdag+0x32c11

ffffd000`20bfab60 fffff800`94db4828 : 00000000`00000000 ffffc000`9f19d800 ffffe000`e8d8fc40 00000000`00000000 : atikmdag+0xf497c

ffffd000`20bfab90 fffff800`94db4321 : 00000000`00000003 ffffe000`e8d8fc40 00000000`00000000 fffff800`94cd4704 : atikmdag+0xf4828

ffffd000`20bfabd0 fffff800`94db52b3 : 00000000`00000001 ffffd000`20bfb190 ffffd000`20bfb1e0 ffffd000`20bfb1e0 : atikmdag+0xf4321

ffffd000`20bfac40 fffff800`94df9e7d : ffffe000`e6f225c0 ffffd000`20bfb190 00000000`00000000 ffffe000`e6f225c0 : atikmdag+0xf52b3

ffffd000`20bfb0d0 fffff800`94cd459f : ffffe000`e6059020 ffffd000`20bfb200 ffffe000`e8f047e0 00000000`20ae0000 : atikmdag+0x139e7d

ffffd000`20bfb100 fffff800`925ec7c3 : ffffd000`20bfb3b0 fffff800`91e935c0 ffffd000`20bfb3b0 fffff800`925ec81f : atikmdag+0x1459f

ffffd000`20bfb2b0 fffff800`91efd0ca : ffffe000`e8a20080 ffffd000`20bfb3b0 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000001 : atikmpag+0xc7c3

ffffd000`20bfb300 fffff800`93d3527b : ffffd000`20bfb440 ffffc000`9ef880e0 ffffe000`e8ee1000 ffffd000`20bfb450 : dxgkrnl!ADAPTER_RENDER::DdiBuildPagingBuffer+0x8a

4: kd> .trap ffffd000`20bfa960

NOTE: The trap frame does not contain all registers.

Some register values may be zeroed or incorrect.

rax=0000000000000000 rbx=0000000000000000 rcx=ffffe000e8dfc000

rdx=0000000000000000 rsi=0000000000000000 rdi=0000000000000000

rip=fffff80094cf2d1a rsp=ffffd00020bfaaf0 rbp=0000000000000001

r8=0000000000000000  r9=ffffd00020bfabb0 r10=ffffe000e6059020

r11=ffffd00020bfabc8 r12=0000000000000000 r13=0000000000000000

r14=0000000000000000 r15=0000000000000000

iopl=0         nv up ei pl nz na pe nc

atikmdag+0x32d1a:

fffff800`94cf2d1a 488b5cc310      mov     rbx,qword ptr [rbx+rax*8+10h] ds:00000000`00000010=????????????????

4: kd> !pool fffff800`94cf2d1a

Pool page fffff80094cf2d1a region is Unknown

fffff80094cf2000 is not a valid large pool allocation, checking large session pool...

Unable to read large session pool table (Session data is not present in mini and kernel-only dumps)

fffff80094cf2000 is not valid pool. Checking for freed (or corrupt) pool

Bad previous allocation size @fffff80094cf2000, last size was 0

4: kd> ub fffff800`94cf2d1a

atikmdag+0x32cfa:

fffff800`94cf2cfa 498bf9          mov     rdi,r9

fffff800`94cf2cfd 4c8bd1          mov     r10,rcx

fffff800`94cf2d00 84d2            test    dl,dl

fffff800`94cf2d02 741d            je      atikmdag+0x32d21 (fffff800`94cf2d21)

fffff800`94cf2d04 488b99183b0000  mov     rbx,qword ptr [rcx+3B18h]

fffff800`94cf2d0b 418bd0          mov     edx,r8d

fffff800`94cf2d0e 488b8cd1303b0000 mov     rcx,qword ptr [rcx+rdx*8+3B30h]

fffff800`94cf2d16 488d0452        lea     rax,[rdx+rdx*2]

Help us amdmatt, you're our only hope.

keroppi667

nospheratu Sorry, the post from 9:43AM I made just after midnight last night, it was moderated for language and didn't post.

I got my reply to my service ticket, it was the same copy/paste that they sent you, all the way down to the "it should work fine".

Sadly, I specifically spelled it out in my ticket that I had done those exact steps, so it's clear that they are not even actually reading it.

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if it is a bot that finds the term "red screen" and spits that out as a response.

Very pathetic customer service, I can only hope that their dev team are a little more receptive to the issue.

I may have "fixed" it (at least temporarily) by reverting my whole system, but I will not be shocked if it happens again by going back up in driver version.

We'll see when I get home tonight, I'll keep you posted.

nospheratu

Lol no worries

That's really sad about the customer service though, I realise it's first line support but I was really hoping it was a route to getting this issue escalated to someone from their driver division. If they aren't really bothering to read the message we're banging our head against a wall.

I also received another response today for my service ticket. Just a heads up, you might be receiving this shortly

1. Make sure all mother board and chip set drivers are up to date.

2. 1) right click on computer

2) click on advanced tab

3) under performance click settings

4) click on advanced

5) under virtual memory click change

6) click no paging file

7) click ok, and save, restart the computer, load into safemode

8) go back to the same place

9) go to virtual memory

10) click system managed size

11) OK and restart.

I doubt its a bot, a bot wouldn't make typo's with their numbering and would use proper captilisation. I tried the steps anyway, it didn't work.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I noticed in your post below you mention the driver version was 15.5. I'm not sure as to how that was installed when you were installing the 15.8 Cats. I thought maybe Windows Update pushed it but AMD's first Windows 10 driver was 15.7, 15.5 was released only for Windows 7/8.1. This error is only accentuated on driver versions 15.7 and later for me on Windows 10. So 15.6 works without the immediate RSOD on launching apps/games.

I sincerely hope that isnt the case for you though, and that the reset did somehow fix this issue.

keroppi667

nospheratu Well the joy displayed in that screenshot was short-lived. I had gotten home yesterday and I got a garbled screen for like 3 seconds then all black. Consistent through reboots. I had to 'reset this pc' again.

OT: <rant>The guy who made the design decision for all recent bios' to use F8 for boot selection/recovery menu (you know, one of the *only* pre-boot function keys 90% of PC users use?) You know that guy? He should be drawn and quartered. If I had him trapped in a room with Hitler and 2 bullets, I shoot him twice. Seriously, I spent as much time trying to get to the boot menu as I did actually resetting Windows.</rant>

Anyway, I know how 15.5Beta got on there. After half a dozen rum n' cokes, a 5 looks like an 8, and I got all my AMD drivers since 14.12 omega in the same folder.

So I had accidentally forced that Win8 driver on it, and it worked briefly. I think it may have worked because it thought it was a 290 until reboot and then snapped out of it. I dunno. The only thing it proves is that it is actually possible to run my tri-fire on 3D Mark in Win10, and that the issue was presented after 15.5. Which makes it all the more frustrating.

Even worse, I have a 390 in the mix, and the only pre-15.7 driver *made* for a 390 is 15.15 (Win8) and 15.20 (Win10).

So I have tried:

15.5 Beta (forced onto Win10) - worked for a while (until possible reboot or sleep) - massive issues (not surprising)

15.6 Beta (forced onto Win10) - Catalyst won't load

15.20.xxx - RSOD issue

15.7.xxx - RSOD issue

15.8 - RSOD issue

So I have exhausted every Win 10 driver, and even forced a couple extra. My only option now is to backtrack to Windows 8, which I get a whopping single supported driver (15.15) to try, and I can also try 15.5 Beta and 15.6 Beta again, and hope they work better since they're at least on the correct OS this time.

Having my machine randomly risk restarting every time I try a new game is unacceptable. So with this issue persisting my machine is worthless. I like Win10, and I'm pretty annoyed that I have to try going back to 8, but in the end, I need the machine to be stable and not reboot on me.

I got less than 2 weeks to *try* to RMA this new 390 if I can't make this work, and a total of $800 in AMD cards (less than a year old, no less) that I might just have to completely scrap. Not cool.

amdmatt

Can you please get someone to actually look at this (crippling) issue?

It's reproduce-able with exact and consistent results across at least 3 driver versions (not counting hotfixes) on completely separate hardware platforms, you got at least 2 users here happy to jump through however many hoops and send you whatever info you need to help...and the best we can get out of the support ticket system is to change swap file settings? rly?

keroppi667

nospheratu I am almost sad to say I have fixed it: http://i.imgur.com/5W6x5z1.jpg

Sad because the answer was 'reset this pc'. It kinda forced my hand when I RSOD trying Uniengine Heaven and (unbeknownst to me) Windows was installing the latest build in the background. I couldn't get it to come back up, even though I explicitly remember enabling system restore. Trashed the box

And worse, I am too tired and drunk to understand what is going on. After restore, I immediately installed the 15.8 Beta. Skipped the usual routine, no chipset drivers, nada. all my screens (I run an 8 screen video wall) sh*t all over themselves, continuous 'driver quit responding', flashing like crazy. CCM doesn't even list Crossfire.

I reboot, get one set of driver quit responding, then all is well. I check CCM, shows all 3 of my adapters linked, lets me create my eyefinity goup, and shows....15.5 Beta...WHAT THE <...>????

Anyway I immediately downloaded Steam and 3D Mark. Runs like a champ. The screenies you see are running 6400x2400 resolution.

To note, reset pc sent me back to build 10240.

Device manager shows all 3 cards as 290s, 3D Mark says they're 290s or 390s depending on the screen. My pc is def confused...

I really have no clue what the hell is going on. I am going to enable system restore, take a capture, and go to bed. I will try (re) installing 15.8 Betas first thing, then test. Will do all updates, and test. Will test after every driver. I will do everything I can to help, I am not sure this is permanent. But it is now 100-percent clear that this *CAN* work. You just gotta ask yourself...is it worth a (semi) wipe-n-load?

Anyway, talk at you tomorrow, the room is spinning.

zealotki11er

Can this happen during game play? I was playing BF4 with my Cards Overclocked and got RSOD. Cards are Water Cooled. It does not even have to be a high OC. Does not happen @ Stock.

berchielli

I have exactly the same problem. Started to happen today only, don't know why.

Crossfire of 280x. My PSU is a 1000w Corsair Gold.

Was using Windows 10 + 15.7.1 playing Assetto Corsa and when I quit the race I get instant RSOD and a reboot.

Updated to 15.8 Beta to no avail. (Used DDU first, of corse)

Another way to get RSOD is to run Haven Benchmark and, "in game", press ESC and uncheck VSYNC. As son as you hit Apply, you'll get RSOD.

If I uncheck Crossfire X in the driver, the RSOD stops.

It's important to note that the RSOD is not in game but only in certain circumstances  as when you quit the game. For sure is a Driver Problem and it's AMD responsibility to fix it.

Really hope for AMD staff to see this thread and give proper attention. It's a show-stopper.

Sorry for my english.

nospheratu

Thank you for sharing your experiences here berchielli, its really appreciated.

If you have not done so already please report this issue to AMD by using the form at www.amd.com/report.

I assume you meant UNIGINE's Heaven benchmark which I dont have currently. I will download it and perform the test and report back as soon as I can.

Just to confirm, do you also get a RSOD when using 3Dmark and it launches into fullscreen mode?

keroppi667

nospheratu I fixed it, by going back to Windows 8. So, at least we can tell AMD (if they ever $%^&! listen!) that the issue lies in the calls to Windows 10.

I installed Win8 and *immediately* installed 15.15 (the lowest supported driver for 390 series)...it recognized the 390, but not the 290s. I said to hell with it, and went for the gusto and installed 15.8 Beta. Worked a champ. I then installed all my drivers, starting with chipset, one by one, and testing after.every.single.driver. to make sure there was no conflict or issues.

There is *no* explanation other than poor/lack of testing of the drivers on Win10 in crossfire. This really should have been caught. I am pissed that I have no Cortana, nevermind DX12 stuff once it hits the fan, but I guess at least this gives time for the lazy Red boys to fix it.

Like I said before, I just need a machine that works, Windows 10 be damned. I am just happy that I don't have to scrap this set of vid cards. I am going to stay right where I am for now.

I will toss another drive in the machine in the next couple of days and throw 10 back on it in dual boot, that way I can follow along (and help troubleshoot), as in the end, this needs to get fixed.

It's just really $%^&-itty that the only fix for a functional machine was a complete wipe-n-load and downgrade. I buy $800 in vid cards and spending 5 hours on my holiday weekend is the only way to get them to work correctly.

amdmatt

Forums like this are made to supplement/enhance customer support, not *replace* it. I don't give a damn *what* holiday is this weekend, I still haven't gotten more than a single copy/paste response from anyone other than a tier one tech that didn't even read the service ticket in *days*, this includes you. I expect better response from a one-man-show; that's just plain *ridiculous* for a multi-million dollar company.

You guys need to get someone *in the know* to look at this. Quickly.

As an aside, you might want to post your resume on Monster.com. I heard AMD is is in the red on the books...and I am starting to comprehend WHY.

nospheratu

Thanks for the update keroppi667 I'm glad that you can enjoy these AMD cards again even though it's with no help or acknowledgement from AMD. All that needed to be said is they are aware of this or they have forwarded the information on to the driver team and it will be resolved in an upcoming driver. I dont even think it's that complex of an issue. 15.6 beta doesn't cause a RSOD for me on launch of an app and 15.8 works IF you bypass the AMD optimised Crossfire profile. The fact that the core driver works in Crossfire with a custom AFR profile clearly points to the AMD optimised Crossfire profile. I'm sure there is shared code between these profiles.

I think I may just go your route and dual boot 7 or 8.1 with 10.

Can you please do the Tomb Raider test again with 15.8 and Windows 8 as that's a slightly different way to reproduce the bugcheck than the normal launch into fullscreen issue.

The latest copy and paste nonsense from my AMD support ticket is below.

Please try these steps.

1. Right-click My Computer and select Properties.
                                                    2. Click on the Advanced tab.
                                                    3. Click on Environment Variables.
                                                    4. Below the bottom Environment Variables window panel (System Variables), click on New.
                                                    5. For Variable Name, enter devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
                                                    6. For Variable Value, enter 1
                                                    7. Click OK to close Environment Variables and OK again to close System Properties

Open Device Manager, click on View and then select Show hidden devices from the menu. You can identify the hidden devices by their grayed-out icons.

Go to the Display adapters and show your old cards. Right-click the selected card and choose "Uninstall" driver on every one.

Restart & Reinstall CCC.

There was no hidden devices, partly because they told me to use DDU in their first response.

berchielli

Hello,

Yes, I ment UNIGINE's Heaven benchmark.

Sorry, I don't have 3Dmark.

Will report the issue on all the channels that you recommend.

Thanks

nospheratu

I just found the below in a few gaming forums. I'm submitting my feedback now and tagging this thread in there as well.

AMD Needs Your Help - Requesting Feedback for Catalyst Driver

Hello everyone,

Our Catalyst Driver Team needs your help

As we continue to improve our Catalyst Driver software suite, we kindly ask you to help us by submitting any issues or bugs you have experienced with our latest drivers by using the form below.

We value your feedback, and similar to last year when you helped us with the launch of Catalyst Omega, we intend to use the information you provide us to make our Drivers better.

Note that this form, which closes on September 12, is different from the standard Issue Reporting Form we regularly use; therefore, please use this form even if you’re already provided your feedback in the last few months.

Please click AMD Issue Reporting Form for AMD Catalyst™ Driver for Desktop Radeon™ Products   to access the form.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance!

Send me a private message if you have any AMD related questions

nospheratu

New response from AMD's support ticket, it seems my little rant did get them to read my last message properly.

Thank you for the resposne.

In this case i suggest you to post this query on our issue reporting form so that our driver team can work on it.

www.amd.com/betareport

If you have further queries do revert back.

I will report it again... hopefully this persistance does pay off. I want to use Windows 10 and I cant afford to change my GPU's due to compatibility restrictions with the rest of the hardware since its a laptop. I've invested a lot of time and money into this machine to let suspect Crossfire profiles deter me. The GPU's alone were $400 each.

keroppi667

nospheratu Well I hope they do help, I can try to report as well, but I no longer have the same OS/issues (only different ones now)...I suppose by time they respond I will have probably dual-booted by then and can replicate the issues again lol.

I finally got another response over the weekend; it was the same as the 2nd one you got, including the typo "2. 1) right click on computer" so...if it isn't bots, it's SURELY copy and paste.

I figure if I bothered replying they'd tell me to remove the non-existent hidden device also as step 3. I figure they got somebody ("Tier 1") who just runs through a few e-mails worth of scripted "suggestions" before they point you somewhere else for actual help.

I have not run the 15.7s yet, but I have had a couple of problems with the 15.8 Betas on Win8, but they are definitely *different* now.

I did the test again with Tomb Raider...it started up with Double Buffer V-Sync on, the graphical corruption I mentioned earlier was still there, which may be another issue entirely.

Turning on Triple buffer did NOT reboot the machine, it worked fine (but still corrupted). HOWEVER, (ironically) turning V-Sync *off* caused me to lose signal to my screen. Nothing would get it back except a reboot. The machine was still running (caps lock, hdd activity, etc.) so there was no BSOD/RSOD. Just couldn't see.

I have otherwise had 3 other games cause a reboot, but it was an INSTANT reboot, no RSOD with a few seconds of memory dump included. I can check the dumps tonight (assuming there are some), but last night I really just wanted to play. Only one of these was as soon as the game opened:

Mad Max - Instant

Shadow of Mordor - ran fine, but defaulted at 70% internal resolution. Rebooted when changed to 100%

Ryse Son of Rome - ran fine (but choppy) - defaulted to 100% internal resolution. Rebooted when changed to 70% (ironically)

So 2 of my major issues where dealing with resolution scaling, which could have something to do with AMD's new VSR, or it could also be aggregated by the fact that I have a super screwy monitor resolution/ratio to begin with. (6400x2400 24:9 format)

Regardless, I will check the bugchecks (assuming there are some) to see whats up, but based on the completely different symptoms I am having, my problem may be related but is DEFINITELY different than the problem we (you) had (have) on Win10.

nospheratu

keroppi667, I think I will have to dual boot as well to get this working and troubleshoot in Windows 10 when I need to. I dont mean to sound pessimistic but I think the problems you mentioned are the same thing thats causing the RSOD in WIndows 10, Windows 10 just makes them stick out like a sore thumb. That's why I mentioned earlier the last driver that not exhibit this problem for me was the 13.1's. I suspect they added an "optimised" module of code to be used within a compatible Crossfire Profile afterward. I did post about the problem somewhere before but since it occured very rarely I never bothered much. If you look at the common pattern between these RSOD's and reboots it always seems to happen upon screen mode change...

1. Vsync enabling/disabling (in game)

2. From Windows desktop to fullscreen mode (game launch)

3. Upon resolution change (in game)

I bet, if you disable TriFire, go into Shadow of Mordor and set 100% resolution then exit the game, enable TriFire, and start the game again you wont have any reboots running at native res. To sort of solidify this theory, can you run Ryse/Shadow of Mordor with the custom AFR friendly profile and try changing res in game. It should not reboot with the custom AFR profile.

berchielli , I tried running the Heaven benchmark and I experienced an immediate RSOD on launch I think its related though as I mentioned above.

Did you try creating a custom AFR friendly Crossfire Profile in CCC and check whether you still experience the RSOD in the Heaven benchmark? The custom AFR profile works with Tomb Raider and stops the RSOD when applying the Triple Buffer Vsync.

• Re: RSOD - Crossfire and 15.7, 15.7.1, 15.7.1 Hotfix 1 & 2 and 15.8 drivers on select games/applications on Windows 10 x64
                                                                nospheratu

berchielli I did try UNIENGINE's Heaven benchmark again with a custom Crossfire Profile. AFR Friendly mode did not cause a RSOD but there was a lot of flickering during the benchmark run. I then tried Optimize 1x1 and the flickering was gone. I also tried disabling and enabling Vsync with both AFR Friendly and Optimize 1x1 modes and no RSOD.

I suggest you give it a try.

amdmatt if we are able to run any of these apps/games that give us RSOD's with a AFR  Friendly/Optimize 1x1 rendering modes surely the Optimized Crossfire Profile has a bug that our hardware combination accentuates. The fact that a desktop and laptop throws out the exact same driver symbol in a Windows dump file consistently as the cause of the problem cannot be coincidence.

• Re: RSOD - Crossfire and 15.7, 15.7.1, 15.7.1 Hotfix 1 & 2 and 15.8 drivers on select games/applications on Windows 10 x64
                                                                    berchielli

Hello,

I tryed creating a custom CF profile to Uniengine and II had the samd result as before. When I try to uncheck Vsync I get a Blue Screen of Death and a reboot feel secunds after.

this is the same to everybother game that has problems. In MGSV i get a a BSOD asa I try to quit the game.

The only workaround is to disable CF in CCC.

thanks

nospheratu

Thanks for the feedback berchielli

Did you use AFR Friendly or Optimize 1x1 in the custom Crossfire profile?

The reason why theres a delay after you see the Blue Screen and the reboot is because Windows is creating a dump file that contains the reason for the crash. The easiest way to see what the reason was is using a simple utility like BlueScreenView by NirSoft. If its possible take a screenprint and post it here. I think your bugcheck code will be 0x1000003B.

berchielli

Hello again!

Thanks for the software, never used it before. My Bugcheck is not 0x1000003B but 0x0000003B. Hope it is related, otherwise I will have to start looking for my very own solutions.

==================================================

Dump File         : 091415-17484-01.dmp

Crash Time        : 14/09/2015 00:50:39

Bug Check String  : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Bug Check Code    : 0x0000003b

Parameter 1       : 00000000`c0000005

Parameter 2       : fffff801`7dd2313b

Parameter 3       : ffffd000`6a46fe30

Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000000

Caused By Driver  : atikmdag.sys

Caused By Address : atikmdag.sys+b3313b

File Description  : ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver

Product Name      : ATI Radeon Family

Company           : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

File Version      : 8.01.01.1500

Processor         : x64

Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+14e240

Stack Address 1   :

Stack Address 2   :

Stack Address 3   :

Computer Name     :

Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\091415-17484-01.dmp

Processors Count  : 4

Major Version     : 15

Minor Version     : 10240

Dump File Size    : 281.200

Dump File Time    : 14/09/2015 00:51:31

Dump File         : 091415-16953-01.dmp

Crash Time        : 14/09/2015 00:43:54

Bug Check String  : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Bug Check Code    : 0x0000003b

Parameter 1       : 00000000`c0000005

Parameter 2       : fffff800`a6d0313b

Parameter 3       : ffffd000`24108e30

Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000000

Caused By Driver  : csc.sys

Caused By Address : csc.sys+26c313b

File Description  : Windows Client Side Caching Driver

Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

Company           : Microsoft Corporation

File Version      : 10.0.10240.16384 (th1.150709-1700)

Processor         : x64

Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+14e240

Stack Address 1   :

Stack Address 2   :

Stack Address 3   :

Computer Name     :

Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\091415-16953-01.dmp

Processors Count  : 4

Major Version     : 15

Minor Version     : 10240

Dump File Size    : 281.256

Dump File Time    : 14/09/2015 00:44:48

nospheratu

Hi berchielli, I do think it is related, your 3B bugcheck is correct. I installed Windows 8.1 in a dual boot configuration with Windows 10 last night and I'm not getting the RSOD's on app/game launch with the 15.8 drivers, just as keroppi667 has experienced after installing Windows 8.

I did however try Heaven benchmark and tried to replicate your RSOD in Windows 8.1 but I was unable to. I tried enabling and disabling Vsync in game multiple times and managed to get one BSOD but it was a 7E bugcheck code.

Do you perhaps own a copy of Crysis 3 and/or Watch_Dogs? If you have Crysis 3, change resolution and/or vsync in game and see whether you BSOD with Crossfire. If you have Watch_Dogs install and launch the game, configure settings the way you'd like it, exit to Windows and then start the game again and see if you BSOD.

What I've noticed is that with these problems WIndows 8/8.1 exhibit Blue/Black Screens and with Windows 10 this turns into Red Screens. The Problem could also be intermittant as well which doesnt help matters. At least with Windows 10 it occurs more frequently which would help diagnosing but I might be out of luck because of the age of my machine as you can see from the response from AMD through Futuremark below.

I opened up a support ticket with Futuremark about this problem with 3DMark and they contacted AMD on my behalf. This is AMD's response.

Our

engineering team investigated the problem but were unable to reproduce

it on our recent drivers we tried. Based on these results, and the fact

that this issue

affects an end-of-life laptop, we will not be able to pursue our

investigations.

You and keroppi667 might have better luck bringing this to AMD's attention as you both have current desktop hardware which would be easier to attain and replicate in their test labs.

nospheratu

Still not fixed with the new Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.30.1025... setting an AFR friendly CrossFire mode still stops the RSOD from occuring.

nospheratu

Still not fixed with the new Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.11.1 Update...  RSOD is still consistently reproducible and setting an AFR friendly CrossFire mode still stops the RSOD from occuring.

I also noticed that under Radeon Software Crimsons System Info my primary card is detected as #2 and secondary card as #3. I have no integrated GPU at all, my 7970M's are dedicated GPU's.

nospheratu

The new Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12 doesnt resolve the issue and still exhibits the consistently reproducible RSOD.

nospheratu

Unfortunately disabling ULPS or the numerous other common fixes do not help in resolving the issue. The only way to stop the RSOD/BSOD on launch of certain games/apps on Windows 10 when using CrossFire is to use an AFR Friendly rendering profile. As you can imagine there are graphic anomalies since its a generic rendering mode.

I have been reporting this to AMD using their bug reporting form on www.amd.com/report for almost every driver revision with no response. I did manage to get a response from AMD in a roundabout way by going through Futuremark support (since the RSOD/BSOD occurs with 3Dmark as well) and the response from AMD was that since my system was EOL they would not be able to investigate in depth. I've also tried reporting it to AMD using other users current system configurations that are experiencing this issue. This problem although not widespread seems to affect a lot of different CrossFire configurations as seen on this thread and other therads on these forums.

I've informed as many users as I could that have experienced this bug to complete the bug report to AMD. Unfortunately since this only affects CrossFire and Windows 10 most users are removing a card or downgrading to Windows 8.1. I am currently dual booting 8.1 and 10 so that I can game on 8.1. However, Bogdanco seems to be having a similar issue on Windows 7.

bogdanco

I saw the "disabling ULPS" on another forum and I also tried some time ago. It didn't fixed my problems.

nospheratu

The new Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.1 Hotfix doesnt resolve the issue and still exhibits the consistently reproducible RSOD.

nospheratu

The new Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.1.1 Hotfix doesnt resolve the issue and still exhibits the consistently reproducible RSOD/BSOD.

The RSOD/BSOD can still be worked around by using the AFR Friendly Crossfire profile.

Bug Check String  : SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Bug Check Code    : 0x1000007e

Caused By Address : atikmdag.sys+34801

Crash Address     : atikmdag.sys+3490a

aytacaksel

i have same problem. its random. i got this error few times when i launch fallout 4 and when playing. if i disable crossfire looks everything is fine.

also crossfire looks unstable in fallout 4, lots sync problems or screen artifacts on 120hz monitor.

so i bought a freesync 144hz monitor yesterday.  looks sync and other problems gone for now. red screen of death is still exist and random..

looks we have another problem with new drivers, power management. huge fps drops when turn mouse for look around. looks because of gpu clock is not stable.

if you lock gpu clock with thirty party software its working great.

my system is:

i7 6700k @ 4.7 ghz -> (at stock speeds problems still exist).

3200mhz 16gb ddr4 ram

2x sapphire r9 390x nitro -> (at stock speeds problems still exist).

thank you.

nospheratu

The new Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2  driver still exhibits the consistently reproducible RSOD/BSOD.

The RSOD/BSOD can still be worked around by using the AFR Friendly Crossfire profile.

Caused By Address : atikmdag.sys+34881 (consistently the same for Crimson 16.2)

Crash Address     : atikmdag.sys+3498a (consistently the same for Crimson 16.2)

amdmatt, @ray_m

nospheratu

The Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1  driver still exhibits the consistently reproducible RSOD/BSOD.

The RSOD/BSOD can still be worked around by using the AFR Friendly Crossfire profile albeit with graphical anomalies on certain games such as flickering, washed out effect, etc.

Caused By Address : atikmdag.sys+34881 (consistently the same for Crimson 16.2.1)

Crash Address     : atikmdag.sys+3498a (consistently the same for Crimson 16.2.1)

amdmatt, ray_m

nospheratu

The new Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3  driver still exhibits the consistently reproducible RSOD/BSOD.

The RSOD/BSOD can still be worked around by using the AFR Friendly Crossfire profile albeit with graphical anomalies on certain games such as flickering, washed out effect, etc.

Caused By Address : atikmdag.sys+35661 (consistently the same for Crimson 16.3)

Crash Address     : atikmdag.sys+3576a (consistently the same for Crimson 16.3)

amdmatt, ray_m

In addition the "Show CrossfireX Status Icon (where applicable)" is no longer present under the Additional Settings->Crossfire tab. It can be found under the Global Settings

nospheratu

The new Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3.1  driver still exhibits the consistently reproducible RSOD/BSOD in Windows 10.

Caused By Address : atikmdag.sys+35661 (consistently the same for Crimson 16.3.1)

Crash Address     : atikmdag.sys+3576a (consistently the same for Crimson 16.3.1)

Interestingly, I am getting the same crash error with RSOD/BSOD in Windows 7 intermittently and I cannot reproduce it consistently like in Windows 10. The crash address atikmdag.sys+3576a is exactly the same in Windows 7 (x64).

amdmatt, ray_m

In addition the "Show CrossfireX Status Icon (where applicable)" is no longer present under the Additional Settings->Crossfire tab (since 16.3). It can be found under the Global Settings

• Re: RSOD - Crossfire with Catalyst / Crimson drivers on select games/applications on Windows 10 x64
                                                                                            nospheratu

The new Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3.2  driver still exhibits the consistently reproducible RSOD/BSOD in Windows 10.

Caused By Address : atikmdag.sys+35671 (consistently the same for Crimson 16.3.2)

Crash Address     : atikmdag.sys+3577a (consistently the same for Crimson 16.3.2)

amdmatt, ray_m

• Re: RSOD - Crossfire with Catalyst / Crimson drivers on select games/applications on Windows 10 x64
                                                                                                ray_m

I have escalated you issue and this is the feedback I have received.

If you are using a Dell/Alienware gaming system, you have to use the drivers off the Dell/Alienware web site or those that came on the CD. If you sill experience issues, you will need to contact Dell.

That being said, the Dell website clearly states that there is no Windows 10 support for this product.

Product Support | Dell US

nospheratu

ray_m, thank you for taking the time to escalate the issue and providing feedback, it's much appreciated.

I can perfectly understand your colleagues decision not provide support for an EOL laptop that is not supported by the manufacturer with Windows 10, however this bug does not only affect my laptop. If you look at keroppi667's post in this very same thread, here, you will notice he experiences the same issue right down to the exact same memory crash address for the atikmdag.sys driver. He is running a desktop system with Tri-Fire. His detailed system specifications can be found on his post here.

Another example is from chaosfiend. His thread can be found here detailing the exact same bugcheck code. He on the other hand is using a R9 295x2. After using the AFR Friendly rendering mode workaround he also is able to launch the game without a RSOD/BSOD.

jo2806, also experienced the same issue in this thread here, he is also running a desktop system with Tri-Fire.

As you can see from following these users experiences, they are either downgrading their OS and/or are removing a card to game. These users aren't running EOL hardware and the fact that the same bug check code and memory address crash is experienced on vastly different system configurations and GPU architecture (Pitcairn and Hawaii) surely cannot be coincidence?

Add the fact that this only occurs on select games and we are able to workaround the RSOD/BSOD by using the generic AFR Friendly rendering mode it seems to be related to CrossFire profiles that perhaps share code?

Even though my machine is EOL I would be more than willing to work with the driver team to resolve this and provide any necessary log's or WinDBG information. As the memory crash address for the atikmdag.sys driver is the same across all our systems it should resolve the issue for all of us and any potential users who might experience this. Alternatively, the lab could replicate the other user's system configs to try and reproduce the bug.

nospheratu

The new Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.4.1  driver still exhibits the consistently reproducible RSOD/BSOD in Windows 10.

Other users with currently supported desktop hardware experiencing this issue can be found here, here and here.

Caused By Address : atikmdag.sys+35671 (consistently the same for Crimson 16.4.1)

Crash Address     : atikmdag.sys+3577a (consistently the same for Crimson 16.4.1)

ray_m, amdmatt

nospheratu

ray_m has logged an engineering ticket for this issue but I though I would update this thread with the latest results using the new driver.

The new Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.4.2  driver still exhibits the consistently reproducible RSOD/BSOD in Windows 10.

Other users with currently supported desktop hardware experiencing this issue can be found here, here and here.

Caused By Address : atikmdag.sys+355b1 (consistently the same for Crimson 16.4.2)

Crash Address     : atikmdag.sys+356ba (consistently the same for Crimson 16.4.2)

I have been using 3DMark Firestrike for testing but ever since the latest version (2.0.2067) I cannot seem to get the CrossFire profile to activate. I have tested with the older version and some games to confirm the issue is the same.

nospheratu

ray_m has logged an engineering ticket for this issue but I though I would update this thread with the latest results using the new driver.

The new Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.1  driver still exhibits the consistently reproducible RSOD/BSOD in Windows 10.

Caused By Address : atikmdag.sys+355c1 (consistently the same for Crimson 16.5.1)

Crash Address     : atikmdag.sys+356ca (consistently the same for Crimson 16.5.1)

I have been using 3DMark Firestrike for testing but ever since the latest version (2.0.2067) I cannot seem to get the CrossFire profile to activate. I have tested with the older version and some games to confirm the issue is the same.

nospheratu

I feel as if I'm dreaming or in some alternative reality typing this post. It's been a long journey since I started this thread but thanks to ray_m and the driver engineering team I can finally say that I did not experience a single RSOD with CrossFire in Windows 10 x64 with the new 16.5.2 drivers.

I've tested 3Dmark, Crysis 3, Metro Last Light, Alien Isolation, Grid Autosport, Project Cars and Fallout 4 without any red screen in sight. I don't know what the AMD team did since nothing in the release notes seems to tie up with this issue but I want to extend a sincere heartfelt thank you for your work and dedication to resolving the bug.

ray_m , thank you for not abandoning the issue and logging the engineering ticket. I'm not sure if the fix originated from it or some other bug that was logged but I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

chaosfiend, keroppi667, jo2806, loafer987, berchielli, bogdanco, gmherber I'm uncertain if you guys are still experiencing CrossFire issues but if you are I would suggest trying the new 16.5.2 beta's. If you were holding off on the WIndows 10 upgrade it seems the time has finally come

I'm still reeling from the fact that I haven't had a single RSOD with CrossFire and it's not because of any recent Windows update, I installed 16.5.1 again to confirm it wasn't any other factors influencing the outcome and the RSOD was back. Installed 16.5.2 again and no RSOD whatsoever. I'm still in the process of testing but everything that used to trigger the RSOD on app/game launch has no effect now. It just works.

I'd also like to thank all the members who provided support and suggestions throughout this thread and other threads. Hopefully this fix will be carried through to WHQL and future drivers.

bogdanco

Unfortunately Crimson 16.5.2 beta doesn't have support for HD 5970. I installed the drivers but still the same BSOD in Win 7 x64. In the meantime (since I posted last time here) I have upgraded my computer to with a new motherboard a new cpu and new RAM. If I will change the video cards then it's a new computer

Still, for me the problem is not gone so it's definitely the drivers.

lemings
                                                                                                            SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED     atikmdag.sys

To the people of AMD: When are you going fix your products? Also, it has been a challenge just to post this onto this forum thread.

Dear community: I am getting irritated and this constant blue screen (which i guess you guys refer to as a "red screen") is really getting annoying. I chose AMD because i thought they're hardware was awesome. i read an amount of comments and i'm not too impressed now. Is there a fix for this? would anyone know of a guide or link to a program that can fix this? i would really like to not have to read through this entire thread which seems to just be disecting the issue and seems no one's figured out how to resolve it yet. i suppose i should make it known i'm running windows 7.

nospheratu

Sorry to hear you are experiencing BSOD issues. This issue was resolved with the 16.5.2 Crimson Edition driver as indicated by the post marked, "Correct Answer" below the original post.

I assume you are running CrossFire as this particular issue only occurred when CrossFire was enabled with certain games/applications. I would suggest starting a new thread if any driver after 16.5.2 does not resolve this issue. I would also suggest disabling ULPS as that is a cause of various CrossFire problems.

Once you create a new thread detailing your symptoms and your full system specs (Use this thread as a guideline) please post a link on this thread so that I can try to help where I can.