AnsweredAssumed Answered

Which driver should i choose, if not AMD catalyst?

Question asked by tyler.b99 on Aug 28, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 29, 2015 by goodplay

Hello everyone, i have a problem with my visual drivers on my Windows 7 PC.

I have a dedicated graphics card called the AMD Radeon R9 290x TurboDuo, here are the specs:

Chip: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x67B0)

DAC Type: Internal DAC (400MHz)

Approx. total memory: 4095Mb

The problem is that I installed AMD Catalyst software for this as a driver update but I experienced a few problems with it, for one I had very bad cutoff around the edges of my screen, no matter what resolution i changed it too it never fitted properly (I am using a Generic PvP Monitor if that make any difference). Also I use my PC for gaming so I obviously want the best graphics and performance I can get but with AMD Catalyst drivers installed, a lot of my games kept crashing (Counter Strike) and some were unplayable because the graphics severely messed up when they started (Assassin's Creed). After about a month I uninstalled AMD Catalyst and there were no problems with anything, no crashing, nothing. I was very pleased at this until I tried to play my newest game (Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 beta) and it came up with an error message saying my drivers were out of date and the game could not be played.

I accessed the Directx Diagnostics Tool and it gave me this information about my drivers:

Main Driver: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,at (I'm not sure if this is a bug and it should just be 'aticfx64.dll' since it's repeated over and over)

Version: 14.501.1003.0

Date: 21/11/2014 03:44:20

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

DDI Version: 11

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

When I put in details of my graphics card to see which drivers I should install for my specific one it always recommends AMD Catalyst but after my previous experience, I don't want to go through it all again!

So, is there any chance of any of you being able to find the right drivers for me which aren't AMD Catalyst ones because I have no clue what I am doing and it is very frustrating.

I don't care whether my performance and graphics are worse than they would be with AMD Catalyst with the normal updated ones, I just want some that work and that I can update myself without having to get AMD Catalyst again.

I would be very appreciative of anyone who helps me in this matter as I have gone way out of my knowledge zone to try and get this sorted and have failed.

Thanks all - TylerB99

Outcomes