AnsweredAssumed Answered

Windows 10 BSOD when resuming from sleep everytime with ATI Radeon HD 3000 (integrated into ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3)

Question asked by andrewh1973 on Aug 24, 2015

Someone please help/advise me, ever since I've upgraded to Windows 10 my system (based on an AMD FX-8150 in a ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, integrated Radeon HD 3000 graphics) the system BSOD immediately when resuming from sleep or hibernate.  Worked fine, always, under Windows 7, 8 and 8.1.  Seriously starting to regret upgrading now (and stupidly, I didn't test sleep until a week or so after by which time I'd been happy that everything else was ok so deleted the Windows.old folder, doh!).  Whocrashed shows:

On Sat 15/08/2015 17:03:57 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081515-36406-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (0xFFFFF8017693ABDB)

Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFD0029C95D780, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8017693ABDB, 0x2)

Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys

product: ATI Radeon Family

company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver

Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I've tried both the Microsoft supplied specific driver and also installing the last version of Catalyst that officially supported it (13.1, I believe).  Same result every time, BSOD, I'm tearing my hair out. Interestingly when I use 15.7.1 it doesn't install a driver but updating the driver from device manager and navigating to the INFs shows there is an updated driver it is willing to use.. but switching to that driver merely results in the display operating as a standard VGA, i.e. low resolution and sleep/hibernate disabled (even though device manager thinks the driver loaded ok).

I appreciate that AMD regard this as a legacy product but it's important for AMD to realise that the mainboard that graphics solution is used in is still available to buy(I bought mine about 2 years ago), so to us users it's far from a legacy bit of kit that we need to junk, and yet I fear that is the only solution for it.

Please advise (or better yet, work with MS for a fix!), thanks!

Outcomes