AnsweredAssumed Answered

Alternating Graphics on Windows 10 not working (AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series)

Question asked by fredlc on Aug 23, 2015
Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 by daz1ar

I have an AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series in my laptop (HP Pavillion dm4 1095), and yesterday I installed Windows 10.

Apparently, all worked, except that, as far as I can tell, the system is locked in the low performance/energy saving "intel HD graphics".

I have the latest drivers installed (version 15.20.1062.150803a-184226e), as confirmed by the tools in the website; and I have set everything for high performance, and still, it is the "intel" icon, not the "AMD" icon, that appears in the taskbar, contrary to what happened in the windows 7, that would deactivate this icon for an AMD one when I plugged the power in. I even alternated the settings to maximize performance even when running on batteriesf, just to see if this would cause a change, to no avail.

I thought that maybe in the windows 10 driver it was different, the intel icon could be visible even when running the high performance graphics, as the current driver allows for specifying performance per application.

So, I decided test this by installing a relatively non demanding game that should run - Pillars of eternity - on my machine, and I specifically set it to run with high performance. The game loads fast, I get the music that runs on the logo, and the one of the main menu, but save for showing the mouse cursor, all I get is a black screen. This result is simmilar to what happened when I had Linux installed for a short time on my machine, and also had trouble setting the graphics variation.

I know this is not a Windows 10 issue, for I run exactly the same test on my desktop, with a non-alternating graphics card (albeit a Nvidia, the point here is that its Pillars on windows 10 and certainty that power graphics are avaiable), and it ran without any hickups.

My questions, than:

1) Am I correct that the persistance of the intel icon is an indication that the power saving graphics are locked on? should this change to an AMD icon in windows 10, like it did on windows 7?

2) if that is the case, is there anything I can do to properly set the alternating graphics?

3) Is there anyway I can manually force the change with this current software setting?

I'm sending a few images of the intel icon that I am getting, as well as catalyst configurations, just in case my explanation was not clear enough.

I thank in advance for any help given.

Best regards .

Outcomes