1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 1, 2015 10:03 PM by jacqkl

on a RHES 6.7, regression with amd-driver-installer-15.20.1046-x86.x86_64.run

jacqkl

A few month ago I got my new laptop DELL PRECISION M6800 with RHEL preinstalled,

it worked fine up to the first upgrade of RHEL: X server broken, reason, the fglrx driver;

I solved the problem by downloading/installing 14.501.1003 (I guess, don't rememeber).

of course, no help from DELL, nor RedHat, they don't seem to be concerned by driver incompatibilities.

This summer, same game, after a RedHat update, X server again didn't launch (unresolved ...),

singleuser mode + startx  showed that it again was an fglrx problem,

so I downloaded the latest one (15.20.1046) and got rid of the blanck screen,  BUT

Now, I have at least two annoying problems:

1. the mouse cursor is messy, never good, sometimes two arrows, more often an arrow PLUS a rectangle filled with random pixels.

(result, I have to move cursor during read/edit of a text).

2. only (native ?) 1920 x 1080 screen resolution works, all other settings just display messy text,

(this was working with my previous  Xserver/fglrx couple, and I need the 1600 x 900 res. to visually pair with a second display)

Any chance to get these two bugs solved ?,

Is there an (even less powefull) alternative to the Amd driver for this graphic card ?

Jacques K.

• Re: on a RHES 6.7, regression with amd-driver-installer-15.20.1046-x86.x86_64.run
          jacqkl

After having installed a new OS to an other partition,  once started,  the mouse cursor was good but I still had the messy display at non-native resolutions.

This time I knew, the AMD driver is not involved, so I went back to original installation and

looked into /etc/X11. I discovered there was no xorg.conf file,  only two files named xorg.conf.fglrx-0 and .....-1.

I guess something did go wrong during the execution of   amd-driver-installer-15.20.1046-x86.x86_64.run ,  so I did it again

this time stepwise (--listpkg, --buildpkg and finally rpm -i ...). I got a bunch of warnings during rpm -i but at the end I had an xorg.conf (identical to the xorg.conf.fglrx-1)

And after reboot, everything  was fine.

My apologizes to AMD , the driver works (also with RHEL 6.7).

Jacques K.