I have white-listed you, so you should be able to directly post in the appropriate forum. As this post seems related to the CodeXL forum, I am moving it there -- the experts there should be able to answer.
It looks like Hyper-V is enabled in your system. CodeXL 1.8 or earlier versions don't support profiling on OS running on Hyper-V hypervisor. Once Hyper-v is enabled, even the parent OS Windows 10 runs on Hyper-V hypervisor.
Please use the below steps to disable Hyper-V on your system.
1. Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off
2. Search for Hyper-V feature in the features list.
3. If the Hyper-V box is checked, then uncheck the box to disable Hyper-V.
4. It will ask for system reboot.
5. After rebooting the system, try profiling again.
Let us know if this doesn't work.
The error message is not very clear, we will put a meaningful error message in next release.
Yes, removing Hyper-V did the trick.
Hopefully the next versions will be able to work with Hyper-V.
Thanks for the solution.