5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2015 1:17 PM by loadtheorig

hd7870 unable to use any 16:10 resolution

loadtheorig

AMD system, upgrade from windows 7 pro, at end of install, screen appears at 1080P, in order to use my taskbar, I have to use the scaling and drop 8 points to fit monitor.  If I try any other BASIC resolution, one of 2 things happen, I end up with a SQUISHED desktop with 4 inch boarders on each side of the monitor.  It seems that only the 16:9 or 4:3 is being used.  Have tried 6 different ways of installing AMD graphics drivers, NOTHING changes.

Monitor is a ViewSonic x2433, video card is an MSI HD7870 Frozen with 3GB DDR5, connection between card and monitor is HDMI. Have spoken to Microsoft and they really have no idea what in windows 10 can be doing.  Windows 7 64 pro install using 15.7 drives works perfectly, all resolutions and screen ratios are available, default desktop is 1680x1050 @32 bits.  Also noticed 8 bit is the only selection I have in the Catalyst center.

Glenn

• Re: hd7870 unable to use any 16:10 resolution
          loadtheorig

AMD FX8350 8Core running at 4.0GHz

kingfish

You didn't specifically say, but I am assuming you are having this issue after upgrading to Windows 10. It sure sounds like a bad driver installation, but you say you have tried many different ways of reinstalling. I am not sure what those ways were, but here are two ways that are proven to work and I suggest you give one or both a try. Please use a new download of the 15.7.1 drivers from AMD...not the version you previously downloaded.

1. Using steps 1-5 , manually select your graphics drivers HERE and download/save to your desktop. Do not use automatic find and install.

2. Remove old drivers using 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel****    

FOR COMPUTERS WITH INTEL PROCESSORS***

Select AMD Catalyst Install manager and EXPRESS uninstall all AMD software including the install manager. Reboot. Install the new driver suite. Reboot.

FOR COMPUTERS WITH AMD PROCESSORS***

Select AMD Catalyst Install manager and selectively uninstall the graphics drivers and CCC only. Reboot. Install the new driver suite. Reboot.

Note: Disable all anti-virus/ anti-malware/ anti-anything while performing the installation. Very important.

Please note that if you choose "Custom Install" the new drivers, it will automatically install the 'Gaming Evolved' (raptr) app in addition to the drivers. If you do not wish to have raptr on your computer, choose 'Custom' install the new drivers and uncheck the box next to 'Gaming Evolved'.

This is a proven installation method that will work 99% of the time for everybody. However, there is the 1% who will need to use the 'Clean' install method. Use this if you run into issues.

loadtheorig

I have tried the 15.7.1, they were available when I did the second set of installations.  After speaking with a lvl 3 Microsoft dev  we have determined that it is either windows 10 or the driver.  As I have said before I have done every version of native windows 10 video drivers.  Until yesterday I did not know what was actually going on via the drivers.  Microsoft wants AMD to get involved in this. It is not as you have assumed a bad driver install, I use driver fusion to completely rip the driver and registry entry’s then boot into safe mode and check for left over files or reg entries.  I am not going to waste my time trying what I have already done, I am not only a certified IT tech but have owned my own IT company  for 20 years, just retiring  2 years ago.  You can be sure I have tried every way to install the drivers, with NO change in desktop functionality.  6 rips and reinstalls should have eliminated any corrupt files, 2 of them were complete installs of a clean windows 10 pro.

I will give amd a few more weeks before I try again, unfortunalty, your suggestion was the last build I did before I stopped trying

Thanks for the answers

Glenn

loadtheorig

Problem as far as windows 7 is concerned the HDMI circuitry in the monitor was NOT reporting or displaying the basic resolutions correctly. DVI connection works as it should through all resolutions.  Will give the windows 10 a retry in a couple days to make sure that this is the fix and not a temp one before something else blows,  Thanks for the replies.

Glenn