cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

CodeXL 1.8 just released today w/ lots of goodies

CodeXL 1.8 was just released today w/ lots of goodies. Check out the details in this new blog post: http://developer.amd.com/community/blog/2015/08/20/amd-codexl-1-8-released/

Then head over to the SDK page to download the latest version here: http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/opencl-zone/codexl/

twitter_codexl18.jpg

0 Likes
15 Replies
greenflops
Adept I

Great 🙂

maxdz8
Elite

I have just installed 1.8.9637.0 on Catalyst 15.200.1046.2.

The static analyzer is broken for me. In the left-click context menu, Build & Analyze is gone. Export binaries is grayed out.

I've seen there's a driver update available. Do I have to update drivers?

By the way, the GUI is missing the "analyze tools" bar on top. Something must have gone wrong.

Win10 x64.

0 Likes

Hi,

Let me address the issues you reported:

"Build & Analyze is gone"

The 'Build & Analyze' command was removed on purpose from CodeXL 1.8, as we have removed the Analysis view. We think the Analysis view was not very useful. It will probably come back in a future release when it is more useful and gives users clear indication of potential problems in their kernel/shader. Did you find the CodeXL 1.7 Analysis view helpful? Will you be willing to share how you used it?

The only thing removed is the Analysis view. The 'Build' command provides the offline build plus the statistics report. In addition, the new ISA view provides clearer visualization and easier navigation of the ISA, and it adds the Cycles column for a theoretical cycles count that the Compute Unit would require to execute the instruction.

"Export binaries is grayed out"

This looks like a bug, but luckily there's an easy workaround: build the OpenCL file again and the Export Binaries command will be enabled.

"the GUI is missing the 'analyze tools' bar"

Right-click the toolbar area and check the Static Analysis Toolbar to display it, or

Use the View menu's 'Reset GUI Layouts' command and then switch to Analyze mode.

Static_Analysis_Toolbar.png

I hope this helps,

Doron

For some reason, it never came to my mind I could right-click the menu bar as in every other program. Let's say this is fixed, even though of limited usability since there's no more analyzer.

The export is fixed as well. That's a bit odd because I'm rather sure I even deleted my CL files and re-imported them... but let's put that behind.

About the analyzer.

Considering it was slightly bumped in previous version I found surprising you pulled the plug on it.

When I started using it (say March 2014) I just couldn't make much sense out. The view with the instruction count (analysis?) in particular soon gained my disrespect as I couldn't see any correlation with the real performance, for GCN it always looked kinda broken. After profiling, I often found out the code was different and sometimes VGPR/SGPR as well.

Some months ago (I'd say with Omega drivers) the situation improved considerably as my kernels somehow converged to the same compiled.

I greatly enjoyed the improvements in 'statistics' from last version. I usually keep track of ISA size and overspill. I liked how it also pulled out how much extra LDS I was able to use keeping the same occupancy.

The addition of the few extra tabs on bottom for details were just a nice idea - I sometimes checked out that data.

What it had wrong: loop count. I do understand that was a static analyzer but seriously, I don't care. I want it to be able to loop as many times I specify (which I assume already happens if I loop on in-code constant) and since loop guards come from uniforms, I'd like to see some ability to simulate whole invocations.

I do understand looping on per-instance data is a considerable problem. I'm fine leaving that out.

dorono:

The 'Build' command provides the offline build plus the statistics report.

There is indeed a 'statistics' under each kernel, just above the various compiled.

But for me, the tab (which is basically all I really trusted) only shows 'Statistics are not available for the selected devices'.

I'm building Capeverde, Hawaii and Tonga.

I've hit rebuild a few times, removing the cl files didn't seem to make a difference.

I'm considering going to the appdata directory and delete the related files, I will update.

0 Likes

Hi,

When I started using it (say March 2014) I just couldn't make much sense out. The view with the instruction count (analysis?) in particular soon gained my disrespect as I couldn't see any correlation with the real performance, for GCN it always looked kinda broken. After profiling, I often found out the code was different and sometimes VGPR/SGPR as well.

Some months ago (I'd say with Omega drivers) the situation improved considerably as my kernels somehow converged to the same compiled.

This is precisely why we removed the Analysis tab (what you refer to as the 'view with the instruction count'). It was far from intuitive. Almost no-one outside the CodeXL development team could understand what it was about. We are exploring ways of making that information available in a clear and helpful manner.

There is indeed a 'statistics' under each kernel, just above the various compiled.

But for me, the tab (which is basically all I really trusted) only shows 'Statistics are not available for the selected devices'.

The Statistics tab on the other hand is a good feature we will likely continue to expand. It remains a part of CodeXL. The message you're seeing is surprising and indicates either a configuration problem or a bug. I can't reproduce this problem on our Win10-64 stations with driver 15.200.1062.1004 (see screenshot below).

Can you share:

• CodeXL's log file, located on Windows in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\CodeXL-username.log
  • OpenCL file you're trying to build. If you're not comfortable posting the CL code to the forum you can email it to GPUTools.Support@amd.com.

Doron

CodeXL_Analyzer_Win10.PNG

I'm not used to share things I'm working on but I've managed to replicate with a brand new project.

I pulled the CL kernel from my published work and put it in the new project you can find attached. I created the source by using the "create" action.

0 Likes

Hi,

I tried building the kernel you provided and after building it (I defined the ECHO_IS_LAST macro, no errors were generated during the build) CodeXL shows the statistics for it in the statistics view.

Can you switch the log level to Extensive, build again, attempt to display statistics and upload the updated CodeXL log file?

Doron

I'm surprised you had to define that yourself, I was pretty sure it was already defined in the files I sent... anyway.

Attached the EXTENSIVE log file. I've built in 32 bit and 64 bit CL, then saved. Neither works.

0 Likes

Hi,

Does the following file exist on your system:

"C:\Users\Massimo\AppData\Roaming\AMD\CodeXL\AnalyzerTest_KernelOutput\Kernel1_cl\Statistics Capeverde.cxltxt"

Can you upload it?

Doron

0 Likes

%appdata%\AMD\CodeXL\AnalyzerTest_KernelOutput\Kernel1_cl\Statistics Capeverde.cxltx

Does not exist. This directory contains bins for the three built architectures and a sub dir as below.

%appdata%\AMD\CodeXL\AnalyzerTest_KernelOutput\Kernel1_cl\Echo_8way

contains several files, none of which got the name you specified.

There is however Statistics.cxltxt, which seems to contain the information we're looking for. Attached.

The directory contains the following files:

Capeverde_IL.cxlil

Capeverde_ISA.cxlisa

devices.cxltxt

Hawaii_IL.cxlil

Hawaii_ISA.cxlisa

Statistics.cxltxt

Tonga_IL.cxlil

Tonga_ISA.cxlisa

Tonga_ISA.html

As a side note, I was considering renaming the CodeXL directories as suggested below but I'm avoiding all initiatives until you give me green light.

0 Likes

Hi,

I have also experienced the unavailable statistics problem with CodeXL 1.8.9637 and Catalyst 15.7 on Windows 7 64-bit. The OpenCL hardware is Caicos. I tried to compile my kernels for several different device configurations but the result is always the same: Statistics are not available for the selected devices.

I encounter the problem even when compiling a very simple kernel such as:

/* Kernel1.cl - Created with AMD CodeXL */

__kernel void Kernel1(global int * a)

{

int index = get_local_id(0);

a[index] = 0;

}

I can not get statistics even for an empty kernel (no args, no code inside).

There is no difference whether I add an existing kernel or write the kernel within the CodeXL.

Adam

0 Likes

Hi Adam,

can you please try the following:

1. Rename the CodeXL folder present in %ROAMING DATA%/AMD/CodeXL

2. Launch CodeXL and create a new kernel or open existing kernel and click on "Build".

Do you still see empty Statistics or Statistics are not available for the selected devices error?

Can you please tell us what you see in "Output" window when you click on "Build" command?

Thanks,

Kalyan P

0 Likes

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I renamed CodeXL folder inside Users/(Me)/Roaming/AMD and then I opened a very simple vector addition kernel. But again, I was not successful in getting the statistics, I got the same error message: Statistics are not available ...

The output is after doing "Build" is:

========== Build started: Building add.cl on 15 devices. ==========

1> Bonaire:

Compiling for Bonaire... succeeded.

2> Capeverde:

Compiling for Capeverde... succeeded.

3> Carrizo:

Compiling for Carrizo... succeeded.

4> Fiji:

Compiling for Fiji... succeeded.

5> Hainan:

Compiling for Hainan... succeeded.

6> Hawaii:

Compiling for Hawaii... succeeded.

7> Iceland:

Compiling for Iceland... succeeded.

8> Kalindi:

Compiling for Kalindi... succeeded.

9> Mullins:

Compiling for Mullins... succeeded.

10> Oland:

Compiling for Oland... succeeded.

11> Pitcairn:

Compiling for Pitcairn... succeeded.

12> Spectre:

Compiling for Spectre... succeeded.

13> Spooky:

Compiling for Spooky... succeeded.

14> Tahiti:

Compiling for Tahiti... succeeded.

15> Tonga:

Compiling for Tonga... succeeded.

========== Build completed. ==========

I am able to get the IL or ISA codo for the kernels. But this worked for me before.

Thanks,

Adam

0 Likes

Hi,

Can you switch the log level to Extensive (Tools->Options..., Debug Log Level = "Extensive"), build again, attempt to display statistics and upload the updated CodeXL log file?

Thanks,

Doron

0 Likes

Hi,

here is the extensive log for compilation.

I also have the Statistics.cxltxt file in the Roaming/AMD/CodeXL/Project1_KernelOutput/add_cl/add folder.

Thank you,

Adam

0 Likes