5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2015 8:07 AM by benman2785

Dual Monitor Issues

benman2785

Hi, if i start watching a video in Browser (Firefox / HTML5 Player) or VLC one of my screens usually begins to flicker. (3x of 5 trys)

When i use OBS to see if that screen is rendered it shows me that its rendered without problems, just the screen flickers.

Win10; XFX 7970 BE (15.7.1 and earlier); FX-8150, MSI 990FXA-GD65; 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866er Kit; Dell 2209WA (main) + Dell E198FP (second)

//

and if i use GPU Scaling it doesnt scale as it is set in CCC (it always keep aspect instead of streching) -> when i disable it games are stretched correctly

thanks in advance

• Re: Dual Monitor Issues
          Thanny

Are you overclocking your GPU's memory?

benman2785

Nope - no OC

i think its a driver issue, because i doubt that my GPU is broken.

my main monitor is on DVI & my second screen is a VGA on DP-Adapter -> all plugs checked

Thanny

I agree that it's a driver issue.  I started seeing the same thing with a pair of 7970's (and then a single one when one died), but only after the drivers had gone past a certain point.

It was always triggered by hardware accelerated video of a certain kind.  MPC-HC would trigger it while VLC wouldn't.  Flash (with acceleration) and Vine would as well.  I saw reference to the problem being related to memory overclocking, which I was doing, and which I suspected you may be doing.  Since you haven't given numbers, you still might, but from the factory.

In my case, however, it was always the logical primary monitor.  If I disconnected that monitor when the problem was happening, it would move to the new primary monitor, then back again upon reconnection.

The "solution" I used was to hibernate the machine and resume, to avoid having to deal with a full reboot.  While I do believe the driver is triggering the problem, it's tied to the hardware state, so restarting the driver (with a utility like devcon) is insufficient.  The card needs to be power cycled.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      benman2785

Yeah, its kind of a hardware state Problem of GPU - sometimes i have to do a cmos reset because my desktop wont show anything on screen when started (black screen in booting and windows) -> boots without errors // sometimes of that sometimes i can fix it with a warm-reboot via case-key (but just in 1 of 10 times)

//

found out that when i activate all AMD related function in CCC for Videoplayback the flickering problem seems been fixed -> activated AMD Steady Video + Color + Deinterlacing + Hardware Acceleration // will test it some days and answer here if its fixed

thank you for you help

ps will buy next Desktop when Zen releases in Germany