AnsweredAssumed Answered

Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 100% GPU Usage since Windows 10 and Catalyst 15.7.1

Question asked by stewootten on Aug 16, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 7, 2015 by Hardwood

I'm having a weird issue with my Sapphire Radeon R9 290 where on SOME games the GPU usage is instantly maxing out at 100% and sticking on 100%. It first happened when I played a game for the first time a few days after I upgraded to Windows 10 and I updated to to Catalyst 15.7.1. I'm really struggling to work out why it's suddenly started doing this on some games!

Symptoms

On some games the GPU usage maxes out at 100% and sticks at 100% as soon as the game reaches the start menu; I'm not even actually playing the game! Games that I have ran and the 100% symptoms occur on are The Witcher 3, Battlefield 4, Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor, and Sniper Elite V3. Before I upgraded to Windows 10 and Catalyst 15.7.1 the symptoms definitely didn't occur on The Witcher, Shadow of Mordor, or Battlefield. Even if I turn the graphical settings down to the lowest possible setting the GPU still maxes out at 100% and sticks at 100%, and even when I Alt + Tab out of some games the GPU continues to stay at 100% usage.

What's strange is it doesn't occur when playing some games such as Far Cry 3, Red Faction Guerilla, and Dragon Age Inquisition.

Attempts at fixing

I've re-downloaded Catalyst 15.7.1 and reinstalled it; on Device Manager Windows is reporting I have Driver Version 15.200.1062.1003 and MSI Afterburner reports I have Catalyst 15.7 but the symptoms still occur.

I also attempted to Roll Back Driver from Device Manager which put me back to Driver Version 15.200.1046.2 but MSI Afterburner wasn't reporting the Catalyst version I had so I'm not sure if the Roll Back worked  ? Anyway the problems still occurred after that attempt.

I've also had the card out and checked the connections which are all fine.

I've also used the Display Driver Uninstall tool provided by Guru3D to totally remove any installed Display Drivers then re-install Catalyst 15.7.1

I'm pretty stumped as to what is causing this, can anyone offer any suggestions? Or can anyone point me in the right direction to the last Driver before 15.7.1 which I can try and install to see if it something other than a Driver issue?

Outcomes