19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 5:45 AM by tomtalk24

amd fx8350 watercooling

carl

Hi AMD friends and collegaues,

I would have a question about a "really good"! cooling system for the AMD FX8350 with 8x4.0GHz.

Currently I'm using the Corsair H100 watercooling system with 2 fans on it

but unfortunately it seems so that even this cooler system is not strong enough to keep the cpu cool

even if I reduce the GHz power to 8x3.4GHz or 8x2.7GHz it exceeds 70°C and more.

I cannot imagine that a temperature about 70°C is normal for a CPU like this, especially with 8x3.4GHz or less??

I would be really glad if somebody could give me an advice to go for another cooler system or

to change something at the system settings.

Greetings Carl

• Re: amd fx8350 watercooling
          ucouldbrong

Consider a Swiftech H220 with Cougar PWM fans in push/pull bringing outside air into case.  40's highly loaded (FX9590) with summer ambient temps.

carl

thank you very much for the answer and the advice. The H220 is looking pretty much the same what I have currently with the Corsair H100.

You mean you have a maximum of 40°C CPU temperature with this cooler system?

greetings carl

lokenall

I Have the same cpu and purchased the swiftech Apogee cpu mount, mcp655 pump and MCRx20-XP (extreme Performance) series radiator with 4x120mm fans setup as a push pull system. The radiator is outside of my chassis, using the the cooler room air to cool it(This is important.) Works great. I also have a fan blowing directly onto my VRM's with another directly above (sucking air out the top) and a make-shift venting system to keep the airflow running directly over the VRM's. That's very important. My FX 8350 is running around 4.5 ghz with my HTT frequency at  346mhz with a multiplier of 13. NB and sb frq at 2768mhz. 24/7 stable.

pabupata

make sure your VRM and casecooling is good too before you start changing your cpu cooler.
                VRM cooling is really important with amd FX cpu's.

techguy

The Corsair H100 is not a very good cooler. It should however be enough to cool an FX-8350 under full load unless your ambient room temp is above 85 F or you are doing serious overclocking. The liquid cooled systems work best with the air blowing from outside the PC case into the case because the room ambient temp is lower than the air temp inside the PC case. If you are blowing the warm air in the case out through the radiator, it will perform poorly. You should also check your mobo BIOS to see if the fan speeds are all set at 100% or FULL on as typically they are only about 60% which is not enough. If you use a system monitoring applet like OCCT or similar you can see what the CPU voltage is under heavy load. If the CPU voltage is spiking above 1.4v then the mobo is over-volting the CPU making it run excessively hot. The BIOS LLC control should allow you to adjust the CPU voltage so it does not over-volt the CPU. If not then the mobo is not properly designed or manufactured to use the FX-8000 or FX-9000 series CPUs which draw a lot of electrical power.

dragonvet

The H100i is plenty of cooler for the 8350, I used a H80i on mine, and currently a big Cooler Master air cooler and NEVER reach the temps you describe, even overclocked to 5ghz.   It sounds to me like your heatsink isn't installed properly, with the right heat transfer compound in the right amount.

sirmatthewofhodge

I agree with dragonvet. I had my 8350 on a tiny 92mm rad and two ball barring fans in push pull and never saw temps over 60c. Even at 4.5ghz... I think the waterblock isn't tightened down all the way or correctly, and/or the thermal compound wasn't put on correctly.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          infinitezero

I am a new 8350 owner, just put the system together last night.  I'm using the stock cooler and the stock clock of 4.0ghz and 4.1ghz turbo and running BOINC all 8 cores at 100% for hours, the highest temp is 60C

This is a bit warm but considering the load I think well within the safe range, and a very respectable temp for basic cooling.

Disableing BOINC it quickly drops town to 25-30C

techguy

Your results are normal for an FX-8350. The OP's H-100 has installation or operational issues as it too should deliver similar temps around 60C or slightly lower under full load P95 type stress testing, IME. AMD has yet to post the max operating temp for the FX processors released after the FX-8150 which has a 61C max operating temp. IME operating the Vishera FX CPUs above mid 60's C can result in BSOD, reboots, etc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  sirmatthewofhodge

The thermal limits of an FX-8350 are 72c at the socket and 62c at the core.

Unless I specify, I'm usually referring to the socket temp.

techguy

As previously indicated in a separate thread, AMD should be posting the CPU core max operating temp and P zero state voltages under the individual specifications for each processor model on the AMD website so that PC owners can properly determine the operating conditions of their AMD processor. The vcore voltage supplied on many mobos is poor IME, particularly on 8-core AMD CPUs which draw a lot of power. Excessive vcore voltage has been confirmed to cause CPU overheating conditions even with proper CPU cooling. Socket temp especially on 8-core CPUs can vary drastically depending on the duration of the load and mobo cooling. The CPU core temp responds quickly to changes in processor load and is the best choice for monitoring the CPU's thermal state. 70C core is where internal throttling of most newer AMD desktop type CPUs begins as to prevent destroying the CPU from overheating.

tomtalk24

I disagree, I have a Aquacomputer water block with a constant intake temp of 30oc. From what I've seen with my 8350 is the CPU Core will react fast, but the socket/AUX will be much more likely to hit the warning zone and hang around. Where's the CPU Core will bounce around, not suggesting anything getting too hot. Your also looking at the delta of the water flow as well, if the water is flowing twice as fast as idle, the core will notice it first and reduce a fair bit in comparison. It should be pointed out to that anyone using a water block rather than air cooled should have something cooling the VRMs so that area of the board isn't as effected by the highs and lows of other components really. And especially on water where the pins will suffer more damage from overheating well before the chip does over time. Unless you pump stops.

I think CPU Core is just to control the fan PWM signal. As the algorithm works like you stated, if its under load, and or the chip is hot, the fan will work harder. But I wouldn't consider it consistent enough to relay on. I use it to determine the speed of my pump and it does a good job. Plus its a pain explaining to people that its impossible to have a CPU idle at 10oc.

techguy

The reason why your socket hits the "warning zone" is because you don't have good processor socket cooling and the socket doesn't have a heatsink or a fan blowing on it like a normal HSF provides. (Most VRMs also need fan cooling which a HSF can and often does provide).

The CPU core temp changes directly with thermal load and that is what is critical not the socket temp. All CPU/APU controls for frequency, power consumption, fan speed, etc. are based on CPU core temp because the core temp is what is critical and all that really matters. Socket temp is just a byproduct of the CPU's operation and can drift all over the place as you have witnessed with liquid cooling vs. a std. HSF. Maintaining a proper max CPU core temp prevents damage to the CPU/APU and a drop in operating frequency. It's also worth noting that the socket temp "danger zone" is much higher than the CPU core temp. That's why it is important to know what the max CPU operating temp is supposed to be and actually is so that you can maintain your CPU below the max core temp to prevent system hangs, BSOD, rebooting, etc. Socket temp won't have any influence on system performance unless it's ridiculously hot.

tomtalk24

But this is water cooling. With only the CPU cap and the thickness of the waterblock wall as the convection level. Where's as on air, convection is much greater due to heat pipes or just the fact they are massive. The chip itself will always be cooler on water in comparison due to this.

Providing the water block is well made and has good heat conductivity, the chip will always be less hot during these moments of long heat generation. So with watercooling, its the socket. If you turn your pump off or down to a trickle, say you have a 5oc difference from water in to out. Then the core would make sense as the delta of the water flow will be much less. Much less heat removed. But if you have the pump working at full power, the water passes over it twice in the same amount of time. So CPU Core is much more susceptible for that than the Socket. I don't think anyone cools the socket directly.

Its all relative, the pins will be conductively connected to the clip, where as the chip itself is directly connected to the waterblock. The coolest part of the chip will be the CPU cap. The back of the processor with no cooling is where heat cant escape. If your CPU Core is hitting the warning or danger zone before the socket then there is something wrong with the water block. I can see where you getting at.

hardcoregames™

Spend some $ on a tube of Arctic MX-4 and use 1/2 of a BB worth

then make sure front fans are intake, rear and top are exhaust