27 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2015 8:35 AM by 1337cammy

Help me build a new PC!

erin.maiorino

Red Team, I need your help! I’ve been working on a gaming laptop for some time now and feel I’m due for a major red overhaul. I’m returning to my roots and want to build a new PC! It’s been a while since I’ve built one, so I could use your suggestions on what hardware to purchase. Not only does this machine need to be a mean AMD gaming machine, it also needs to be a workstation for creating beautiful, super high poly source files for game and cinematic assets. Oh about budget, I’m planning to keep it under $1000 (excluding a monitor), but have some flexibility on this front.

Here is a general idea of what I am looking for:

• CPU: Needs to handle rendering, physics simulation and animation programs, and the latest and greatest games to hit the market! (I’m planning to play Star Wars Battlefront)
      • GPU: I want to CrossFire a couple of GPUs for rendering and texture management programs. Also, when I play Star Wars Battlefront, I want to believe that I am on Jakku.
      • RAM: Keep in mind my rendering needs; what do you recommend? (16, 32 or 64GB)?
      • Motherboard: Totally open to your suggestions here!
      • Hard drive: I’m thinking about a 480GB SSD for OS, gaming and apps, and a 1 or 2T HDD for storage. Thoughts?
      • PSU – Something greater than a 750w unit should do the trick, but I’m not too sure about Bronze, Silver and Gold Certification?
      • CASE – I’m leaning toward a mid-tower case
      • LED lights to make my box feel like I’m at a Def Leppard concert

Thank you in advance for your suggestions! I probably won’t be able to build the exact PC you recommend me (unless I win the lottery soon), but will do my best! I’m trusting you not to steer me wrong…no pressure…

Erin

• Re: Help me build a new PC!
          duramax08

I've been building PC's at work like crazy for solidworks, so I feel right at home here . Just a heads up im trying to stay in your 1k budget as much as I can. Feel free to upgrade/downgrade whatever that will fit your needs.

CPU: AMD 8350. I do some transcoding on some videos and it seems to do the job pretty well in a reasonable time.

AMD Processor FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W D8350FRHKBOX - Newegg.com

Since you'll probably be doing some CPU intensive stuff, I highly suggest a better CPU Cooler.

CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Evo 212. I use these alot at work and I love them so much that I have one on my personal computer at home. It keeps my AMD 8350 around 27c at idle, 45c at full CPU usage.

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Int…

GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380. Should handle almost all the games at max settings. Also gots 4GB of GDDR5 so it should take whatever you throw at it.

SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon R9 380 100384NT4GOCL 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 ATX Dual-X OC Version (UEFI) Video Card - N…

RAM: 16GB of GSKILL 2x8GB DDR3 1866. Back in the days, people told you that you only needed 4GB of RAM. Then it moved to 8, now its 16GB. 16GB should be plenty of memory for your needs. If down the road you need more, feel free to add another 2x8GB to have a total of a whoppin 32GB of RAM (which is the max the motherboard allows).

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL10D-16GB…

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA. Seems to be the #1 motherboard for AM3+ sockets. Plenty of spaces to crossfire down the road.

GIGABYTE Motherboard GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX - Newegg.com

SSD for OS: Samsung EVO 500GB. I just love samsung. They make really good drives. Ive been using them in almost all the systems I build and theyre just lightning fast. You could probably get away with a 250GB SSD, but eventually you'll want to upgrade down the road (just like me).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373

Hard Drive for Data: WD 1TB Blue. 1TB is a great starting point. I know that rendering and videogames will take up alot of space, so 1TB should hold you for quite some time. Since HDD's are cheaper then SSD's, I went all out on the SSD to 500GB. You can always add another HDD down the road whenever you need moar GEE BEEs.

Western Digital WD Blue Hard Drive 1TB WD10EZEX 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" | Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.co…

PSU: Corsair CS750M. 750W is just right to be future proof whenever you decide to crossfire. This PSU is also rated bronze, so its quite efficient. This PSU is also semi-modular, so you'll be able to do some awesome cable management!

CORSAIR CX series CX750M 750W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certi…

As for what 80 plus means, the higher the rating the much efficient the PSU will be at certain loads.

80 Plus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Case: Corsair Carbide Series w/ Red LED fans (gotta keep it red ). Great midtower case with tons of holes to to run all those wires. And guess what, it gots a window for your Def Leopard concerts!

Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 RED LED Black ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - Newegg.com

Computer Case Lights: NZXT HUE RGB LED Controller. This thing has tons of settings. I hope youre ready for that Def Leopard concert, or atleast a rave. I have this in my personal computer at home glowing red and everyone loves it. Heck you'll even catch me at time just starting at the window on my case, no shame .

http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-5-25-Inch-Changing-Controller-AA-HUE30-01/dp/B008RWT2IY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439246998&sr=…

Total Cost: $1051.20.

sabah70

some great suggestions so far. As far as gpu depends on price. of course i would say go fury but 390 / 390x would do the trick nicely I think. as far as ram for rendering definately as much as you could. I would say a minimum of 32 and definately 64 if possible. For psu i would stick to a cold rated power supply and closer to 1000w if you wanna go crossfire. if you want lights I'd look at the bit fenix magnetic led's. very convienant install cause you  know......there magnetic. looking forward to your build.

erin.maiorino

Thanks duramax08 and sabah70! These suggestions are great and the links helps immensely!

Do you think it would be worth going with a water cooled system or is that overkill for my needs?

swaccelerated

Check out our website Erin, could give you an idea what your in for.  Duramax hit the answer pretty square on the nose.

http://swaccelerated.com

erin.maiorino

Thank you for all the suggestions! A little over a week ago was my birthday and I received the first component to my new rig, a Corsair case!

FullSizeRender.jpg

dirtyprank

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here, for what it's worth. (about 2 cents, I guess )

The 8350 is a no brainer. Price/performance on that chip is sweet.

I'd go with the Coolermaster H212 air cooler over liquid. I know, I know, liquid is cool, and it does allow for some really nice overclocking on the 8350, which has massive OC potential... but the 212 does the job, and will still allow for some clock tweaking if you really want to. Plus, at a savings of $50 to $100, depending on the liquid system you choose, in a $1k build that money is better spent elsewhere.

Crossfire is a tricky proposition on this budget. Remember that for gaming, doubling the graphics cards doesn't double your buffer, so buying 2 cards at 2GB doesn't give you 4GB. This is what makes the choice between 1 higher-level card or 2 lower-level cards so tough. My opinion: Id rather get the best single card I can now, and upgrade to crossfire 2-3 years later when the price on that card comes down. For your graphics design purposes, the discussion is a little trickier, especially since I don't know what type of graphics you are rendering. That said, the RAM and CPU usually have much more of an impact on graphics design than the GPU does. Most programs use those components heavily to render finished designs, but the GPU is often barely touched. This changes in the case of real-time rendering, especially in 3D modeling previews and interactive display programs. Still, I'd bet that the GPU choice will have little impact here. My recommendation: the R9 290, or R9 380 4GB, at around $230.

On storage: given your design needs, this is a place you should really not overlook. You need speed and reliability here, and you don't want to skimp. I recommend a 500GB Samsung 850 Evo as your primary drive, and 3 Western Digital 1TB HDDs in Raid 5 or Raid 10 configuration.  Both of these brands are a little more expensive than their competitors, but when it comes to data reliability, you can't be too careful. Having the 3 HDDs may sound like overkill but it allows a fully reliable RAID setup so that if a drive goes kaput, you can replace it without losing any data. Plus you get the performance increase of reading/writing multiple drives in parallel.

Here's an idea from PCPartpicker, minus the case since you already have that (maybe you can use the extra $$ for the liquid?)

list.jpg

Also, according to PCPartpicker, this build uses 478 watts, so the 750 watt PSU may be a little overkill, but I'd go with that to have plenty of overhead, plus room for crossfire and overclock in the future.

Sorry for the information overload. Happy building!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      goodplay

How's that build going, put anything inside that case yet ?.

jakeshi

CPU  - I recommend FX-8350.

MoBo - Gigabyte GA-990FXA or Asus Sabertooth 990FX (I have much cheaper M5A99FX PRO R2.0 and I am very satisfied).

CPU Cooler - SilentiumPC Fera2 is good, Gelid Tranquilo too. (These are 2 reasonably-priced coolers)

RAM - If you want rendering, 16GB RAM is good choice. Some 2x8GB kit will be fine (and as someone mention, look for 1866MHz modules).

HDD - If you can, avoid Western Digital Green, I have very bad expreinces with them, some Blue (or better Black) will be fine.

It is all, what I can recommend to you.

abhishek_myth

I think you got all suggestion !

1337cammy

CPU:

I would recommend either the FX-8350 (1.)  or the FX-9370 ( WOX (LC) ) (2.)

1. Price/Performance winner on the CPU market.
                            2. If you could find the FX-9370 with liquid cooling it's definetly a good alternative because of its' lower price increase with a stock liquid cooling and slightly better performance with its' 4,7GHz turbo boost.

GPU:

The Graphics card is the most budged eating component in each System.

With an eye on video editing and rendering and since newer games like Witcher3 and AC needs tons of VRAM you should get an updated version of the R9-290x with 8GB of VRAM which safes you to get stable performance with higher resolution textures.

Furthermore the Hawaii GPUs are freaking easy to crossfire with older or newer graphics card which are similar to the R9 series (except the fury cards) or the HD7950.

RAM:

I guess 16gb of DRAM should be a good beginning.

Highly recommending 2 x 8GB sticks with a medium CL of 10 so you can get 2 more of them if you really need it.

1866MHz is the peak of frequency which the CPU is able to handle so here are some Corsair sticks which should do the job.

Motherboard:

The FX-9370 needs a stable mainboard like the sabertooth2.0 with alot of phases to get the 220watts TDP into the socket to power the CPU which results in a higher price.

The FX-8350 needs ''only'' 125watts TDP so a more cheaper mainboard like the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 with less phases would do the job as well.

Keep in mind that most of the mainboards on the market only support up to 32GBs of DRAM so you could upgrade on a maximum of 32GBs.

Hard drive:

If you really want an SSD a 240GBs SSD is best price/performance value you could get if your budget is limited.

This one here is a good opportunity.

If you got some money left you surely could get a 480GB SSD since it's always a good choice if you won't work on it every day.

2 TB harddrive in our days is not really expensive since seagate revealed a few monthes ago really good cost efficiency HDDs and is always usefull.

PSU:

Highly recommended 1000W PSU with the intention to keep the option for crossfire open.

Personally I got good experiences with the AURUM PRO series like this one.

It is semi modular and it got good cables for internal cable management since they have thin modular cables which were positioned from left to right instead of simply making a thick bundle of cables.

Video about what I meant.

The 80+ certification is simply a certification which was given to special PSUs which will deliver more than 80% of the Watts which they should give but due the fact that the voltage transformer and inner functions of the PSU lose some Watts because of heat to the air there is always a little drain.

For example the 80+ cert itself says that the PSU is giving 80% of its' Watts into the system.

80+ bronce is already giving 84% while silver is on 86%.

Gold is on 90% already while Platinum PSUs are giving 94% of the noticed Watts into the system.

Would love to see which decisions you are going to make and would love to see the final PC so keep us on track.

Regards,

Marcel K.