4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2015 9:29 AM by kingfish

Catalyst 15.7.1 causes BSOD

electricmckirk

All my problems began when I did a clean install of the AMD HD 7700 video graphics driver at 8/8/2015.

At first I would get a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) with variable symptoms from Windows 7 (64bit) regardless of what program was opened.

On 8/9/2015 I tried to do a full uninstall of the video driver because AMD had released an updated version. From control panel AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 was completely removed.

However, I cannot complete this process because I have only a black screen every time I reboot/turn on the computer.

I have tried multiple Desktop monitors and Windows boot up drives, but nothing is displayed on the screen.

The graphics card was purchased in February of 2015 and is kept in a very cool ventilated case.

Why would a major company make such a harmful software for their consumers?

• Re: Catalyst 15.7.1 causes BSOD
          papox

Same problem, i have 7790 black screen after turn on my computer...

i try on windows 8.1 and windows 10,but same problem cannot fix...

please AMD fix it...

kingfish

Run as Administrator a command prompt...type  sfc /scannow. That will check for and repair corrupted system files. Go to Windows Update and install all the relevant "Optional" and "Suggested" updates....especially the .netframeworks updates.

mevicks

Hi AMD Team,

Attaching the win7 x64 dump file for BSOD with 15.7.1 installation (082315-7815-01). Previously even 15.7 version was causing random BSODs (mostly after the laptop was idle for sometime or even during basic games like Counterstrike). Please do note that 15.7 seems to be working on a AMD only configuration (works ok on my sister's laptop) but gives issues only with switchable graphics it seems.

Even tried clean install to the last known good version 14.12 but this started crashing too (082315-6505-01).

crashreport.zip - Google Drive

kingfish

Your laptop is equipped with switchable graphics. In order to update the AMD driver, the Intel graphics should be the current version. Go to this Intel link, and manually ( do not use the Intel Driver Update Utility) find the latest graphics driver for your laptop, as pictured. Download and save it to your desktop. If you don't know which version of Intel graphics you have, look in device manager.

Screenshot_2_1.png

Download these AMD drivers and save to your desktop.

For Windows 7 64bit

Now delete the Intel drivers from your computer using 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel. Uninstall the AMD drivers from your computer using the 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel.

NOTICE IMPORTANT:

Computers with Intel processors select 'express' uninstall all AMD software including the install manager.

Computers with AMD processors custom uninstall the AMD graphics driver and Catalyst Control Panel only.

Reboot.

Note: All anti-malware/anti-virus/anti-anything should be disabled during driver installation.

Now install the Intel drivers first and lastly the AMD drivers.

NOTICE: If you do not want raptr/gaming evolved installed with your new drivers, select 'custom install' and uncheck the box for "gaming Evolved".

Reboot

If you are having issues with the normal installation of the Mobility drivers, use the clean install method , making sure you install the latest Intel drivers.