2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2015 11:15 PM by mzaurov

When monitor turns back on, all windows are resized

mzaurov

Just got a new BenQ monitor and am using DVI-D for the first time. I have R9 290 on Windows 10 with latest drivers.  Whenever the monitor goes to sleep I can hear windows playing the device disconnected sound, and when it wakes up, the USB connected sound. All my open windows are resized in left corner of screen and very small, like 640x480. This issue doesn't occur with HDMI, only DVI-D. Is this a bug with drivers or anyone have a clue how to fix it? 

• Re: When monitor turns back on, all windows are resized
          mzaurov

I used DDU (display driver uninstaller) to completely remove AMD drivers in safe mode. It also disabled windows update from automatically reinstalling. I rebooted and was using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Everything worked fine. Windows did not disconnect the monitor when it turned off and windows were not resized. When I reinstalled latest drivers (15.7.1), I again am stuck with the same issue.  I also tried a replacement monitor, different DVI-D cable, and a fresh install of windows. This has to be an issue with AMD drivers. Could someone please respond about this?

Here's what my desktop looks like after the monitor wakes up: http://i.imgur.com/gunSkLl.png

• Re: When monitor turns back on, all windows are resized
            mzaurov

Hopefully AMD or MS fixes this eventually, whoever is at fault. I found a little program someone made just for this issue called Persistent Windows. It basically saves info about all open windows and their sizes and after monitor wakes back up reverts windows size. A bandaid for an underlying issue. I think the problem is related to hotplug detection. For some reason Windows detects the monitor as disconnected completely when it sleeps.