9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2015 11:11 AM by garwynn

Final Fantasy Xlll-2 PC 20 FPS Lock

empty213

As stated in the title, Final Fantasy Xlll-2 won't go any higher than 20 fps during exploration and 30 fps during fights.

Even at lowest AA and Shadow Scale settings using FFXlll-2 Launcher still wont go any higher than 20fps during exploration (map) and 30 during fights. Please explain!

Works fine when playing The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt solid 50|+ fps 1920x1080 so why 20 and 30 fps only in FFXlll-2???

AMD FX-6100

MSI 990FXA-GD80

XFX R9-390

8GB CORSAIR RAM

AMD Catalyst Driver Package Version: 15.20.1062.1002-150715a-187327C

Catalyst Version: 15.7.1

• Re: Final Fantasy Xlll-2 PC 20 FPS Lock
          backFireX64

Where do i start with FFXIII-2....

Let me see... BAD PORT.

Turning off the mini-map can boost your frames on some areas (cause of the way that anti-aliasing is implemented on this game... !!!!), but you can surf on most Steam forum threads to find out the bitter truth.

Oh, there is even a mod to change fps limit, but most of the times it... @#$%&. Kudos to the modders though !

garwynn

I thought they had the option now in updated versions under settings?
              IIRC it came in at the same time that they allowed larger resolutions.

backFireX64

Does the game play smoothly on 60 fps now ?

Cause last time i played after a couple of updates i got max ~45 fps when exploring areas and frames would go down to 30 fps when in-battle depending on the camera angle.

And yeah, resolution was at least fixed on launch, in contrast to the previous installment (where i had to use GeDoSaTo).

I've since uninstalled it permanently, so if there is a really good reason to revisit the game, and taking note that i am on limited HDD space and internet bandwidth right now, please, I'm all ears...

garwynn

I have it installed, will test out and report back.

garwynn

Tried both and I'm holding steady 59-60 fps at max settings according to Steam.

But please keep in mind I have a 5960X, 32GB DDR4 + Fury X so YMMV based on your config.

If you're getting a low frame rate try adjusting the shadows first, then AA.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            backFireX64

Well, the CPU and RAM won't matter anyway, as long as someone use a high-clocked intel 4-core minimum cpu and the minimum required system memory (with some decent clocks and timings/ low latency, just to be sure), and i am pretty much covered in that (i7 975 8-thread enabled at ~4.00 Ghz and 12gb 1600 Mhz RAM at 7-7-7-20 on basic timings)

The gpu... now that's where i would possibly need an upgrade, though FFXIII was perfectly playable on a single HD5970 adapter (on a single core/ not crossfirex, overclocked at 940 Mhz).

I am not particularly interested in max settings. The default will do on 1080p for me. Maybe i will give it a go again at some point.

Thank you for taking the time to test it mate and for reporting back, even with such a monstrous rig like yours.

empty213

i found the culprit, apparently fraps was causing the game to lock at 20 fps whether in battle or during exploration. Does AMD have its own fps counter or something similar? Thanks!

1 of 1 people found this helpful