5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2015 6:57 AM by remo

Problem with Microsoft Edge and Settings in Windows 10 after installing AMD Radeon HD 5000 series display driver (AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 driver package)

serpentpower

I recently upgraded my Lenovo Y460p laptop's Windows 7 Home operating system to Windows 10 Home. My laptop has an AMD Radeon HD 6550M graphics card and Windows automatically updated the display driver after the upgrade based on the newly released AMD graphics drivers for Windows 10 64-bit (15.7.1). I noticed that the installed driver is AMD Radeon HD 5000 series and not the one that should be appropriate for Radeon HD 6550M. The graphics in Windows 10 works fine after the installation of this driver, but  it has caused severe compatibility issues with many of Windows apps. For example, Settings won't run. When trying to start Microsoft Edge, the following message is given: "EXPLORER.EXE Element not found." Other apps may also crash or not run. I have confirmed that this issue relates to the driver. I uninstalled the driver (reverting to Microsoft basic driver) and everything went back to normal. Unfortunately, only AMD Radeon HD 5000 series driver is supposedly compatible with Windows 10 as I tried to install another driver from the package (AMD Radeon HD 6000 series), but Windows reports that it is not compatible with this version of Windows.

I need help resolving this issue. Will there be any new drivers available for AMD Radeon HD 6550M? Do I need to make some changes to the registry? This is very annoying!