AnsweredAssumed Answered

AMD R9 280x serious issue - fullscreen flicker / garbage output

Question asked by radicalhatter on Aug 5, 2015

Hello!

For some time now, I can't really remember how far back the first instance of this was, I've been pseudo-randomly getting garbage output from my graphics card. Sometimes it starts a few seconds after I open a webpage, sometimes 20 seconds after Windows boot, sometimes not at all for weeks (I generally have long uptimes). A few times I've been able to recover from it by simply closing a web-page I've been visiting, but that seems to only work occasionally. Once it was fixed by an unrelated windows error message. This is extremely frustrating and I've tried everything I can think of to fix this. I've updated drivers, gone from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (no change at all), turned off all kinds of overclocking - both BIOS-related and Windows-related - and probably a whole lot more that I can't think of. Clean install of Windows does not seem to help, but it's kind of hard to tell because of the randomness. Since I have two monitors I've even tried turning off every single process that was allowed in the task manager after this occurred with no change at all. I changed my DVI-cable only to realize after some testing that if I unplug the "broken" screen, unplug the second screen and then re-plug the second screen, the second screen has the garbage output instead, no matter which port I insert it into.

So, yeah, this is really, really weird. Any ideas? Here's a link to what it looks like (if you don't trust the attachment):

Dropbox - IMG_6011.avi

image1.JPG

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm completely stumped. Should I just send the card back and demand a refund? I actually sent my monitor back because of what I think was this issue and got it back with a note saying "no problemos muchacho" (not an actual quote).

Attachments

Outcomes