lbxzero

Graphical Resolution Glitch out R9 Radeon Fury

Discussion created by lbxzero on Aug 4, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 18, 2015 by lilsassy

I got the ASUS STRIX Radeon R9 Fury card.  It has a DVI port on it, and I am using that to connect to a Samsung 2343BWX monitor, which has a resolution of 2048x1152 and only has dual link DVI.  I have sent an email off to ASUS as well on this, but I want to open the issue here to see if others have similar problems.

To start, I had the resolution at 2048x1152.  After about an hour after boot up and being anywhere in Windows 7, the screen shrinks down and has glitched lines in it.  After about a minute, the system goes into a blue screen of death and reboots.  Sometimes, the computer give beep code errors regarding to GPU failure, but a power down/up cycle resolves that.  If I change the resolution while the glitched image occurs, it clears up the screen, and I think recovers the driver.

My current solution was to reduce resolution to 1920x1080.  Instead of the screen going weird, the system comes up with "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."  Sometimes, this error comes in a batch of 3 or 4 over 15 minutes.  My current leads at this time is either a really faulty GPU, the Fury GPUs are Fury X's that didn't pass for Fury X, and the DVI modification by ASUS has some issues in implementation.

Regardless of my thoughts, I have reviewed the Event Viewer on the most recent attempts over this issue and tried to paste other errors that lead up to the "display driver stopped responding" error into a text file, attached.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-x79-UD3

RAM: Corsair 2133MHz 4x4GB

GPU: ASUS STRIX Radeon R9 Fury

Driver: Catalyst 15.7.1

Issue existed in Catalyst 15.7 as well

Currently, I am testing underclocking to check for stability.  I will try connecting to my TV when I have time to move my PC this week to eliminate possibility of the DVI port feature having problems.  I am posting the error logs to see if someone may recognize the error messages and determine another culprit.

Outcomes