25 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 12:44 AM by pemartins

AMD Radeon HD 7340 graphics hw acceleration problems

pemartins

My laptop is an Asus X55U with a AMD Radeon HD 7340 graphic card, OS Windows 10 and I'm having trouble with video hardware acceleration.

When I run flash content I always get a green screen, some other stream platforms beside flash just give me a black screen only with sound and no image. To solve this I always have to turn off hw acceleration but this is no solution because the display is way worst and more cpu is used.

Also if I use hw acceleration in media players for streaming, lets say in xbmc, the player crashes.

I already had this problem while using Windows 8.1, thought that updating to Windows 10 would solve it but I had no luck. I'm not sure when the problem started.

The driver version I have installed is 15.200.1045.1. When I run Raptr I always get the message that there is a Catalyst Driver update (15.7.1) but when I run it the video driver installation always fails. So I don't know if I have the latest driver or not.

The problem is really in the video drivers. I tried deleting the video driver in the device manager (and went through hell to be able to install it back, I had to create a new user profile and do some things more and install it to be able to get it back) and, while only a generic Windows driver was being used, I tested and there were no green screens in flash nor black screens on other video stream platforms, all was fine concerning to that issue.

How can this be solved?

Thank you very much in advance.

• Re: AMD Radeon HD 7340 graphics hw acceleration problems
          legendsphinx

On Flash i have on first Load - A green Screen : If i pull back the Player Button to Zero it shows correctly. HD 6310 (AMD E350) with Display Driver Catalyst 15.6 Beta (thx AMD i cannot use 15.7.1 even if my System is USE WDM 1.2...)

IF you ask i believe AMD Disabled since longer time Hardware Acceleration on specific Graphiccards regarding Flash. I cannot even play 1080p Videos on youtube ~ Where as i had years ago Catalyst 12.10 and Flash 10.2 i or so i gave up AMD,Adobe or whoever will return our Expirience back.

oneten

Same problem. Driver version 15.200.1045.1 (7 July).  Catalist offers 15.200.1062.1003 (28 July), but installation crashes with package error. If use manual installation from folder with driver, we have window "This package is not compatible with the platform of Microsoft Windows you are running. This application will now abort."

pemartins

That is exactly what happens to me also. And I also tried doing the manual installation and I also got the same error.

EDIT: I got the error "This package is not compatible with the platform of Microsoft Windows you are running. This application will now abort." while trying to do a manual installation both in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

oneten

We are aware that the AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 driver for Windows 10 does not install on some AMD APU systems.

The following APUs are not supported by AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 driver for Windows 10:

AMD Radeon HD6200 Series

AMD Radeon HD6300 Series

AMD Radeon HD6400 Series

AMD Radeon HD6500 Series

AMD Radeon HD6600 Series

AMD Radeon HD7200 Series

AMD Radeon HD7300 Series

If you have already upgraded to Windows 10, please follow the steps listed below to resolve this issue :

Uninstall the AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 driver using the Add/Remove Programs option in the Control Panel

Reboot the system

Use Windows Update to install the appropriate graphics driver for your APU.

If you plan to upgrade to Windows 10, please do not install the AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 driver. Windows Update will automatically install the correct driver for your product

kingfish

In order to get any meaningful support for your issue, the following information is requested:

Please do not post any DXdialog or links to a image.

LAPTOPS:

Laptop manufacturer

Laptop exact model number

Operating system? Is this the original OS?

Graphics chip (card)

Switchable graphics? (AMD + Intel or AMD + AMD)

When did this issue first appear?

DESKTOPS:

Operating system

Processor

Graphics card(s) ( exact..not just the series)

Power Supply ( wattage,manufacturer, and model number )

Motherboard bios updated?

Windows Update current?

When did the issue first appear?

Steps you have taken to correct the issue

oneten

Laptop: DNS W253BZQ

CPU: Dual Core AMD E2-2000, 1747MHz (17,5x100) Zacate with Radeon HD7340 Graphics

MB: Clevo W240BL/W250BZ/W270BZQ

Chipset: AMD Hudson-1, AMD K14

Video Driver: v.15.200.1045.1 (07 July 2015)

No hardware video acceleration with win10

kingfish

The AMD E2-2000 (codename Zacate) is a dual core processor for small notebooks and netbooks. It offers a relatively powerful integrated graphics card and a single channel DDR3-1333 memory controller. Compared to the older E2-1800 offers only slightly higher CPU (50 MHz) and GPU (15 - 20 MHz) clock rates.

Inside the E2-2000 two Bobcat cores can access 512KB level 2 cache per core. In comparison to the Atom processors, the Bobcat architecture uses an "out-of-order" execution and is therefore faster at the same clock speed. However, the performance is far worse than similar clocked Penryn (Celeron) or Danube (Athlon II) cores. On average the cpu performance of the E2-2000 is a bit below a Celeron SU2300 at 1.2 GHz or a Athlon II Neo K325 at 1.3 GHz.

Bobcat architecture (2011): Ontario, Zacate, Desna, Hondo

Main article: Bobcat (microarchitecture)

The Bobcat processor is not listed as compatible.

Windows® 10 will install the default Microsoft® Basic Display Driver (MBDD) for these graphics adapters. MBDD provides basic display functionality (low resolutions and color) on a single monitor but DOES NOT support:

• Display scaling control
                              • Multiple displays
                              • Display rotation
                              • Video capture
                              • Power settings
                              • VSync control
                              • Brightness control on integrated display panels
                              • AMD Catalyst™ Control Center
                            kingfish
                            • These APU's are certified for Windows 10. Earlier versions are not. Do a google search for your APU if you don't know which version yours belongs to.

No graphics card older than the 5000 series is supported in Windows 10.

• AMD Radeon™ R9 Series graphics
                            • AMD Radeon™ R7 Series graphics
                            • AMD Radeon™ R5 240 graphics
                            • AMD Radeon™ HD 8000 Series graphics for OEM systems (HD 8570 and up)
                            • AMD Radeon™ HD 8000M Series graphics for notebooks
                            • AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series graphics (HD 7730 and up)
                            • AMD Radeon™ HD 7000M Series graphics for notebooks (HD 7730M and up)
                            • AMD A4/A6/A8/A10-7000 Series APUs (codenamed “Kaveri”)
                            • AMD A6/A8/A10 PRO-7000 Series APUs (codenamed “Kaveri”)
                            • AMD E1/A4/A10 Micro-6000 Series APUs (codenamed “Mullins”)
                            • AMD E1/E2/A4/A6/A8-6000 Series APUs (codenamed “Beema”)
                                pemartins

Laptop manufacturer: ASUS

Laptop exact model number: ASUS X55U-SX038H

Operating system? Is this the original OS? Currently Windows 10.0 Home Edition (10240); Original OS was Windows 8, then upgraded to Windows 8.1

Graphics chip (card): AMD E2-1800 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 7340 1.70 GHz

Switchable graphics? (AMD + Intel or AMD + AMD): I don't know what this is or means

When did this issue first appear? The issue has been going on for about more than a month, I believe it first appeared after I updated the video driver to 15.200.1045.1. The issue started while I was using WIndows 8.1, after upgrading to Windows 10 the same exact issue kept going on.

Kingfish thank you for getting back to me. The answer you gave was marked as correct but I could not figure out what the solution was.

I already deleted the video driver, deleted AMD Catalyst, I restarted the pc and let Windows update install the video driver but the issue was not solved. The same driver 15.200.1045.1 was installed ( just checked and tested).

So this is not a Windows 10 issue, I had the same exact problem in Windows 8.1. Actually the only reason I updated my laptop to Windows 10 was to try to solve this issue.

How can I solve this issue?

pemartins

It's really disappointing how something that should be so easy to solve is given no solution...

So can someone please help me with these couple of things than can probably solve my problem:

1) How can I revert back to the video driver released before 15.200.1045.1? Where can I get it and how can I install it?

2) Most probably this issue was caused by AMD overclocking the gpu. So how can I reduce the clock usage of the gpu?

kingfish

I am not aware of AMD overclocking your GPU.

Your issue is > Graphics chip (card): AMD E2-1800 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 7340 1.70 GHz  is not supported for Windows 10;

Not supported = APU with AMD Radeon HD7300 Series graphics

Supported APUs >

AMD A4/A6/A8/A10-7000 Series APUs (codenamed “Kaveri”)

AMD A6/A8/A10 PRO-7000 Series APUs (codenamed “Kaveri”)

AMD E1/A4/A10 Micro-6000 Series APUs (codenamed “Mullins”)

AMD E1/E2/A4/A6/A8-6000 Series APUs (codenamed “Beema”)

Not supported APU graphics:

APUs with the following graphics components are not supported by AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 driver for Windows 10:

AMD Radeon HD6200 Series

AMD Radeon HD6300 Series

AMD Radeon HD6400 Series

AMD Radeon HD6500 Series

AMD Radeon HD6600 Series

AMD Radeon HD7200 Series

AMD Radeon HD7300 Series

Previous drivers > Previous

pemartins

I don't understand what you mean by not being supported, is it not support by this forum? Or by Windows 10?

I already mentioned twice before that the issue started in Windows 8.1, it used to work perfectly in Windows 8.1 until one day the issue started and I had in mind it started after I upgraded the video driver to 15.200.1045.1.

That's what I thought at first. And now I'm 100% sure of it, because I just installed video driver 14.301.1001.0 and the issue is solved and all is working perfectly, including the video hardware acceleration!

Tested with Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge and Kodi. No green screens, no black screens, no crashes and no issues whatsoever. Nothing but perfect image in flash, DXVA or HTML5 or anything else.

As I had in mind this is not a Windows 10 problem, it is an AMD's video driver problem.

4JDbHHI.png

So here's how to solve the problem caused by the defective video driver 15.200.1045.1 (or any other 15.xxx driver):

1- Prevent Windows from automatically updating to the defective video driver:

Go to Control Panel > Advanced System Settings > Hardware > Devices Installation Settings and make sure you leave it all like in this image:

WnfwCCs.png

As I found out the hard way, Windows 10 still updates your video driver even if you do this...

So here's the working solution:

1- How to stop Windows 10 from automatically updating your video card driver:

Go to this page (you must have cookies enabled in your browser).

Download this Microsoft tool from that page. Run it. This is a tool to "Show or hide updates".

In the "Show or hide updates" screen click "Next", a scan will start. After the scan click in "Hide updates" and your video driver update show be on that list. Just check it for not to be updated automatically and click "Next". If your video driver is not found, you'll have to wait for the system to automatically update it first and then it should be there. Wait for a bit and that should do it. When it's done, click "Close".

2- Unistalling the current defective video driver installed:

Install "Display Driver Uninstaller" v15.3.1.0 (google it) and execute it. First it it will tell you there is an update, ignore it. They it will ask you if you wanna restart Windows in safe mode. Click Yes and the system will restart in safe mode, which is needed for the video drivers to be uninstalled properly.

Now in safe mode, "Display Driver Uninstaller" will open and then choose:

Select Graphic Driver: AMD

and click "Clean and Restart". Then wait for the process to finish. The video driver will now be unistalled.

<Note. An alternative to this procedure of uninstalling the defective video driver is going to Control Panel > System > Device Manager > double click "Video card" > right click "AMD Radeon... (name of you gpu) and choose Uninstall. This also should get the job done.>

3- Installing the perfectly working video driver 14.301.1001.0 from AMD:

After the system reboot, go to the AMD previous video drivers page by clicking here.

Download the 14.9 package here. The direct download link to the package is here. Download it, install it and reboot.

That's it, the problem is now solved, you'll now have video driver 14.301.1001.0 and all should work just fine.

kingfish

It's not supported by or for Windows 10.

pemartins

I don't understand how that answer could ever solve my problem. I never asked if my gpu worked in Windows 10 or something alike but by your answer I can just understand that you are telling me that it wasn't supposed to. So it must kinda hard to explain how it works perfectly with an old video driver released about a year ago, way before Windows 10 came out...

I just wanted help for the issue I clearly explained at the beginning. I didn't want an answer telling me about lack of support to Windows 10 or whatever, I just cannot see how that could ever solve my problem.

I mentioned the issue started with Windows 8.1 so I really have no idea why you kept on mentioning that my gpu is not supported by Windows 10. And it is now working perfectly in Windows 10. If there will be no more drivers for it in the future... it's better that way, after the troubles AMD's last defective driver gave me, I do not intent to update the video driver ever again on this laptop.

But English is not my native language so probably I didn't understand something along the way.

Well, finally after two months I figured out how to solve this issue. Thanks for the link to old video drivers.