5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2016 2:14 AM by paulhampson

Screen flickering with Windows 10

jensro

Hello,

recently I upgraded my notebook (Acer Aspire TimelineX 4820TG with Mobility Radeon HD 5650) to Windows 10. Right after the update, all was fine, but after a reboot, the screen started flickering permanently before the login screen appears. I can see the mouse pointer and the screen is alternating blue and black, but I cannot do anything. The only way to enter the desktop is to boot Windows in safe mode or to disable the graphics driver (then Windows loads a basic graphics driver and comes up with a resolution of 1024x768 pixels).

I downloaded the latest drivers from the AMD homepage (15.7.1) and installed those. It worked well after the first reboot but after next reboot, I had the same screen flickering again.

Is anybody having the same problem? Is there any known solution?

Thanks, Jens

• Re: Screen flickering with Windows 10
          jensro

Does really nobdy have a similar problem? I can hardly believe that...

Meanwhile I found out that I can activate the graphics driver after having booted with deactivated driver and it works (the HDMI port is not working however, but this is a different problem). But I have to deactivate it again before shutting down in order to avoid the screen flashing problem on next boot. So it looks like the problem is only related to the login screen of Windows.

jensro

I contacted the Acer support and they told me that my notebook is not on the list of Windows 10 compatible Acer computers. Hence they will never develop Windows 10 drivers for this hardware and will also not give support regarding Windows 10.

Therefore I now made a rollback to Windows 7 in order to be able to use my computer again. This is really a pitty, but I think this was the only option and I have to buy a new computer when I want to use Windows 10.

pantenepro

I would simply try installing a set of old AMD drivers for example 15.6 beta drivers or go even older, the new 15.7.1 are EXTREMELY unstable thousands of people are having problems in every way with them im using 15.6 beta drivers for win7/8 on my windows 10 installation and that fixed my problems it may fix yours. I'll also add im using an Acer Aspire Timelinex 5830TG which is a very similar model.

goinggreen

My solution is to continually soft power-cycle display 1.  On one instance this caused Fallout 4 to drop AA and I had to restart the game. 

Still broken in 15.11!

paulhampson

I am having the same problem with the Acer 7736ZG laptop . Changed the drivers to older, newest and still no joy. I would be happy if I could get the microsoft basic display driver to use a higher resolution.