20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2016 2:52 AM by oki

Fried GPU's Latest Drivers and Windows 10

d3fcon

Lets start from the beginning as i had made other posts and realised the screen shots were no help as windows SS would not show the issue.

Clevo Mobo with Dual 7970M's for crossfire wit an i7 and 16gb Ram (Clean installs no junk)

Updated to Win10 64bit from Win 7.1

Installed latest ATI Drivers for Win 10

Restarted to a Black Screen. Was un responsive - Had to restart manually

Constant restart to black screen and BSOD

I restarted in Safe mode to see hundreds of vertical lines across my screen.

Decided to do a format because removing drivers was no help.

Noticed now in post and windows install screens blue lines every where and pink bars running down the screen

Continued to install cause i was a hope-r and there there permanatily now even in bios.

I can't install any drivers they just fail or say can not detect card in any current or previous drivers.

One or both of my GPU's are completely dead.

Thanks allot AMD. there is no return from this right? Fried Vram i'd guess. AMD needs to issue bios updates for there cards to run dx12 not just say they can.

Please explain.

Screen shots taken on from google as i am at work at the moment and are very similar to my current issues

http://i.imgur.com/UqKY7Oz.jpg

http://i.stack.imgur.com/p5P74.jpg

It is a Notebook so i cant just replace a GPU 

• Re: Fried GPU's Latest Drivers and Windows 10
          d3fcon

Pulled one of the cards out last night to test it running with only one card (after swapping them around to see if only one was dead) I found one that seemed o.k, It seems the screen tear/lines/colors issue has gone with that GPU that was taken out (Damaged one), Now i can not install 15.7.1 Drivers as i just get BSOD but i could use 14.12. Now on the hunt for a new HD7970M Card.

Just be careful with the 15.7 | 15.7.1 Drivers and the HD7900 Series with Windows 10. If you get a Black screen please don't wait for it. Go Safe mode and remove the drivers with the uninstall tool ASAP before it damages your cards... Same deal if your game freezes unusually, Don't just keep trying as it's doing damage to your card/s.

I would wait until there are new drivers other that 15.7 or 15.7.1 as many users are having issues

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              n3on-samurai

Mine is dead too now. Single 7970m in a clevo p150em. Upgrade to win10. Then clean install, then installed 15.7.1 and a few days later (while playing bf4).... Dead. Now I can't use the card at all. Any time I do a clean install and try to install the amd drivers my machine locks up. So, unless anyone knows how to fix this... What the hell is going on

d3fcon

Mine died during BF4 Also, Would just lock up and freeze until it went completely dead, I have no way to fix mine m8. Clevo board also. Once it's done it's done. The cheapest i have seen them going for is 300 at aliexpress.

Tries Re adding Thermal paste for a new cooling fit

Tried updating Bios and restoring

It just causes freezes when it is plugged in.

Sorry you got screwed from Ati also and considering BF4 is heavily advertising ATi then there is another issue..

7970M with BF4 and those drivers = death

insomnia

Neon, I am suffering from the exact same issue and I have tried everything that you have mentioned as well as a clean install of windows 10, but to no avail. Can find people reporting this very issue on multiple forums but with no solution in sight. I have already started considering the outlandish option of baking my GPU if I don't end up finding one by the end of this week. Please let me know if you make a breakthrough, so will I.

rahuljthakur

I don't think the GPU is fried. I have the similar config (Clevo 370EM, HM77 chipset, i7 3630QM, 16 GB DDR3-1333, dual xfire 7970m 2GB).

Let me explain my end of the problem first -

I am having same issue but without any lines on the screen, the display is rendered correctly (even with no amd display drivers installed).

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and system was pretty stable for several weeks.

After 15.7.1 update on windows 10, system started getting BSOD with THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER and occasional boot to a black screen with frozen machine.

I decided to reinstall windows 10 and clean install amd catalyst drivers 15.7.1 hoping system will be stable.

But since then, my every attempt to install drivers (15.7, 14.12, 15.7.1, 15.9.1 beta, 15.10 beta) on different clean windows installations i.e. 7, 8.1 and 10 x64 have failed.

I tried Device manager driver install as well as AMD setup.

In both cases, when the driver begins installation (after CIM, C++ packages etc), the machine freezes in couple seconds.

I am able to install driver in safe mode through device manager but when I boot, may laptop screen goes black and freezes (no response to num lock key toggle).

All the components are stock w/o any overclocking whatsoever. I have ensured fans are clean and operations and heat sinks are functional (dusted up and good air flow).

Now, I think there is something unholy that happens with Windows 10 and catalyst 15.7.1 update which has caused lot of problems in 79xx and 89xx xfire configs. Many people are reporting this BSOD boot loop or black screen boot with frozen machine.

I am hoping AMD pays attention to this problem and publishes fixes soon.

At very least, It will be kind to recreate the problem and acknowledge the community.

I am here if more info is needed.

rahuljthakur

BTW, previous similar issues of black screen boot with frozen machine were direct to disable the "EnableULPS" registry values in safe mode and reboot.

I have tried this and in my 4 attempts, on windows 10 with 15.7.1 and 15.7, I realized that 15.7.1 worked once i.e. black screen boot freeze didn't happen but the system eventually BSODed with THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER.

I restarted in each attempt 3-4 times but eventually I landed on the black screen with frozen machine on boot.

I have tried DDU and AMD cleanup utility while trying different drivers with hopes that any such registry leftover entries are cleaned between attempts.

insomnia

Rahul, I hope you are right when you say that the GPU isn't fried because I am suffering from the exact same issue and I have tried everything that you have mentioned as well as a clean install of windows 10, but to no avail. Can find people reporting this very issue on multiple forums but with no solution in sight. I have already started considering the outlandish option of baking my GPU if I don't end up finding one by the end of this week. Please let me know if you make a breakthrough, so will I.

insomnia

I am suffering from the exact same issue and I have tried everything that you have mentioned as well as a clean install of windows 10, but to no avail. Can find people reporting this very issue on multiple forums but with no solution in sight. I have already started considering the outlandish option of baking my GPU if I don't end up finding one by the end of this week. Please let me know if you make a breakthrough, so will I.

System Specs:

Alienware M17x R4

AMD 7970M

soverpowered

Hi All,

I'm running:

MSI Radeon HD 7850 DirectX 11 R7850-2GD5/OC 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

On MOBO:

ASRock Z77 Extreme3

Yesterday morning was playing Arma3 and had a lockup where my screen went a beige color. I felt the top of my case and it was a bit hot, so I shut the PC down and started it up again a few minutes later. I get BIOS splash screen, brief windows loading screen (as normal) but then my monitors just turned black like the video card had stopped pushing signal.

I rebooted and went into Windows 8.1 Safe mode and it was rock solid, but only on one monitor. I tried re-installing drivers but it made no difference.

I disconnected the MSI Radeon card and cleaned out its fans with compressed air and a small tool, as it had some dust accumulated into the fan grill. I replaced it and tried again, but still same black screen / signal loss while Windows 8.1 was booting

I did a full format of my SDD and HDD and installed Win 7 again, upgraded to 8.1 and tried things all over again but had same results. Black screen and signal loss after windows loads, but display had no issues in Win 8.1 safe mode, or just browsing BIOS options.

I have no upgraded to windows 10 and think I may try the card in another PCIe 3.0 x16 port to see if maybe that is the issue.

Kind of strange though that the card is fine in safe mode. I mean, I get if maybe I've damaged something and it's dying when 'load' approaches a certain %, but very weird to have it just black out and no screen artifacts now or crash msg or anything.

One thing I was a bit confused on, couldn't seem to understand if I'm supposed to use the most current AMD drivers for the card in Win 10 x64 Bit, or if i'm supposed to use windows sourced drivers? There was a web posting somewhere I saw where they seemed to indicate for 7850 range cards that Microsoft drivers is best bet.

If this thing is dead I guess I have to buy a new one, but trying to exhaust all options before I have to shell out ~$200 at Christmas time on a new GPU

Fortunately for now I have an on board Intel 4000 or something, it seems to be doing fine with my one monitor so for now can operate and research at least, but no gaming

waltc

These troll threads are getting funnier as we go...insomnia opened an account yesterday, 12/23; soverpowered opened his yesterday, the 23rd, too...;)

This thread was started in August and ended in October ...except for our newly logged in troll(s)...:D  Take a bow, guy(s)... I think AMD should hand out prizes for the most idiotic trolls...like coal and switches, maybe?  Heh...seems like people would have better things to do so close to Christmas.  Tsk.Tsk.

Yea, sure, guy(s)...& I'm Santa,btw...;)   I had my elves make a couple of brand-spankin' new nVidia GPUs for you boys--but for some reason they melted when we plugged 'em in!  Ah, well--all I've got left is AMD cards now--and it's plain to see you boys don't want those!  So...see ya's next year, boo*bs-er, boys!

Rudolph...chop, chop little reindeer (whip crack)...let's go! Got a long night ahead! Dasher, Vixen, Prancer...keep in line, there!

soverpowered

If anyone is a Troll, I think it's you, Waltc.

I have my card plugged in and running right now, but with basic Microsoft Applie driver only. If I add the most up to date Windows 10 64bit drivers from AMD it crashes 100%.

insomnia

You are spot on with your analysis of this new breed of trolls, soverpowered. These are precisely the kind of self-indulgent, self-righteous, heedless, pretenders of being the most neutral appreciators of technology that keep companies with huge potential, such as AMD, from improving and truly offering competition to industry behemoths like Nvidia - something that we all want, and which is truly beneficial for the whole sector. These guys think that their delusional thinking of pretending that the problem does not exist will somehow make the problem disappear. This mentality of dismissing without evidence, and brushing stuff under the carpet, could prove to be the ruin of us all.

For your information, I have been suffering from precisely the same issue since the past whole week, and have posted for help on multiple forums including notebook review, guru3D, tomshardware, anandtech etc. Stop discrediting others if you cannot contribute anything in the way of solution, and let people who consider this important, have the wherewithal and clarity of intention, resolve this issue for the benefit of AMD as well as the customers who have put their trust in AMD.

@Soverpowered: After trying various solutions, and extensive research on the internet, I have reached the conclusion that we have damaged our GPU's hardware and must consider getting it re-balled/repaired. Do let me know, if you have any better ideas. Thank you!   

insomnia

You are spot on with your analysis of this new breed of trolls, soverpowered. These are precisely the kind of self-indulgent, self-righteous, heedless, pretenders of being the most neutral appreciators of technology that keep companies with huge potential, such as AMD, from improving and truly offering competition to industry behemoths like Nvidia - something that we all want, and which is truly beneficial for the whole sector. These guys think that their delusional thinking of pretending that the problem does not exist will somehow make the problem disappear. This mentality of dismissing without evidence, and brushing stuff under the carpet, could prove to be the ruin of us all.

For your information, I have been suffering from precisely the same issue since the past whole week, and have posted for help on multiple forums including notebook review, guru3D, tomshardware, anandtech etc. Stop discrediting others if you cannot contribute anything in the way of solution, and let people who consider this important, have the wherewithal and clarity of intention, resolve this issue for the benefit of AMD as well as the customers who have put their trust in AMD.

@Soverpowered: After trying various solutions, and extensive research on the internet, I have reached the conclusion that we have damaged our GPU's hardware and must consider getting it re-balled/repaired. Do let me know, if you have any better ideas. Thank you!   

soverpowered

One of the technicians at my local computer store told me yesterday that AMD had basically washed their hands of older model cards and that new drivers are not built with old cards in mind. He knew my problem exactly when I started explaining it, and seemed like he had heard this several times recently. Fair enough for AMD I guess, but it says plain as day on the website that my MSI AMD Radeon 7850 should work with the newest drivers in Windows 10 64b and it clearly doesn't...

(MSI Radeon HD 7850 DirectX 11 R7850-2GD5/OC 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Ca)

The fact that I was able to run that card in safe mode, or with the Microsoft default driver, makes me really question if I cooked that card or not. I put my old GeForce 550Ti into the same PCIe slot and it worked flawlessly too, so no chance that I've pooched the PCIe port or done something to fubar my power supply. 

The shop also suggested rolling back to an older Catalyst Driver set, but to be honest I wanted to upgrade anyway and having to go back to old drivers just feels like taking a step backward for no reason. I looked around a bit and ended up purchasing a Zotac GeForce GTX 960 4GB AMP! edition card yesterday along with 2 new fans for my case (just in case).

Not here to troll or put down AMD or any such thing, but the possibility that they purposely did a 'planned obsolescence' job on my other card did kind of shy me away from the Sapphire Radeon R9 380 that I was looking at.

(Sapphire Radeon NITRO R9 380 4GB DL-DVI-I / DL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP Dual-X OC Graphics Card 11242-13-20G: Amazon.ca: Electr… )

If this does get corrected in the near future I will happily throw the MSI Radeon into my other tower and use that as a media PC in the living room, otherwise the GTX 550 gets that honor and this MSI will sit in an anti-static bag

qwixt

I find it highly unlikely that drivers "fried" your GPU. You can find people reporting similar issues because there are a lot of people that do not know what they are doing, "It worked before these new drivers. Therefore I can only conclude that the drivers fried my gpu."

Meanwhile, the soverpowered dude has an integrated gpu with windows 10, and is installing a dedicated gpu. In my opinion, that's just asking for trouble. He should prevent win 10 from installing device drivers automatically. Get DDU, and remove all GPU drivers (amd, intel, nvidia). Disable the worthless integrated gpu in the bios. Make sure all your motherboard drivers like usb, sound card, and intel chipset drivers are updated. Install Amd gpu drivers.

soverpowered

..."Meanwhile, the soverpowered dude has an integrated gpu with windows 10, and is installing a dedicated gpu. In my opinion, that's just asking for trouble."

How many manufacturers these days are pushing Motherboards that don't have some kind of integrated graphics? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think most have that.

He should prevent win 10 from installing device drivers automatically.  [Done during testing]

Get DDU, and remove all GPU drivers (amd, intel, nvidia). [Done - several times during testing]

Disable the worthless integrated gpu in the bios. [Done]

Make sure all your motherboard drivers like usb, sound card, and intel chipset drivers are updated. Install Amd gpu drivers. [Done]

It's kind of weird to assume everyone else is an idiot and you're the only smart guy around.

I ran the PC with integrated GPU disabled for quite a while, with my primary monitor connected directly to the MSI Radeon card, with PCIe set as prime in my BIOS. If I go into safe mode I'm golden, if I run with Microsoft Windows 10 automatically configured drivers I'm golden, if I install what AMD lists as the most up to date driver for my card and my OS it crashes on every boot without exception.

qwixt

Sounds like you're not using win 10, and that your card sounds like it died during use. Correct me if I am wrong here, but it sounds like it died during gaming. I am not sure what drivers are used for boot into safe mode, but I can believe that it would work for that, and not the regular boot into windows because the normal boot would use the full api and hardware set, possibly using the damaged section of bad card.

If you go to the AMD drivers page, http://support.amd.com/en-us/download, you will see a section on the right for your card and OS, (7850/win 8.1) 64 bit. The link will take you to the page for the drivers that you are suppose to use for win 8.1 - 64 bit, http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows+8.1+-+64.

The Win 10 and 8.1 links for the 7850 drivers appear to download different .exe files, so you definitely do not want the win 10 version for win 8.1.

insomnia

On a suggestion I got at the notebook review, I attempted installing the 15.6 beta drivers, and true enough the driver installation completed without interruption /freeze/bsod, as suggested to me. But perhaps I was hoping for too much; upon the required restart I was confronted with 4 varying scenarios:

1. Blank black screen after the initial BIOS load,

2. BSOD with Kernel security check failure,

3. BSOD with irql_not_less_or_equal

4. BSOD with system_service_exception

So, whereas the 7970M got activated for the first time for me in a week, it was impossible to get back into windows after the restart. :-(

Would really appreciate if someone could look into this...

oki

Hi,
                                                              Feel free to read only the bold font as it has the essential information
                                                              First of all I entered this thread because I am facing the same issue.
                                                              I have a single HD7970m card. I had Windows 8 installed with drivers 14.4 (I guess the number is correct -> I don't remember now but to that in a moment).
                                                              One day i think something finally broke down in Windows (had the system for about 4 years or so). So I decided to reinstall it.

Reinstall done but with all the fuzz about Windows 10 free yata yata yata i decided to give it a go -> why not? It's new and free. So i've installad the Windows 10 "base" (with some drivers) and then decided it's time to play something so lets install the AMD drivers.

// HERE the pain begins...

"BSOD" System stuck in device thread.
                                                              I have tried some various drivers and those gave me either a crash during install or BSOD/black screen/freeze (on the spinner) after restart.a

Read some threads. Guys saying about a possible hardware issue that reinstalling - reverting to older windows does not work... I got scared that i also faced the death of my card. Tried some live installation but finally decided to install Windows 8 aside 10. Downloaded the recognition tool for windows 8 and it proposed drivers v 14.4. It was late i think i restarted the computer to get a freeze/black screen.

The next day i unscrewed the laptop and tapped on the chipset through the heatsink. Restarted and booted to windows 8 and its working on 14.4. Ok i think maybe it was late and the tapping did not influence the outcome.

Anyway i decided to install 14.4 and i get "Windows has stopped the device because it has reported problems".

So the bottomline on this. Are you guys still facing this Windows 10 issue? Or did you find some driver that works . Im really thinking about reverting to Windows 8.
                                                              Apart from that i entered the "ATI/AMD" world with this card when it had bad drivers but then i decided hey -> They will fix it. Yes they did a week or so after i bought it and gaming still was an option. But now... I see that there are always issues with these drivers. Come on guys I know that they maybe glitches but I Had NVIDIA cards and nothing more than a good experience.