AnsweredAssumed Answered

BSOD when installing AMD drivers

Question asked by guyfieri on Aug 2, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 2, 2015 by guyfieri

Relevant specs:

Cpu: AMD Phenom II x4 960t (HD 4000 series integrated graphics)

Gpu: HIS IceQ HD 7950

Hello folks, here's the situation:

I'm trying to install the latest drivers for my 7950. The CCC installer makes a good bit of progress, until it gets to the HD audio, then I instantly get a BSOD (Atihdw86.sys). I have long suspected that my integrated graphics driver is conflicting and causing this, but I am still unsure. I have attempted to uninstall the HD 4000 series integrated graphics driver via the device manager, yet upon a restart, the driver returns, ready to conflict more!

Each attempt at installing the driver for the 7950 has followed a procedure similar to this: 1- Boot into safe mode. 2 - Use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove all current display drivers. 3 - restart and enter normal Windows.(I have also attempted to install in safe mode, yet CCC installer says that it cannot detect my system,aka some sort of detection utility cannot run) 4 - Unpack the "amd-catalyst-14.4-64bit-win8.1-win8-win7-whql-aug" driver and let it run CCC installer after it finishes unpacking. Right about here is where the BSOD happens.

And yes, before somebody says it, back when I installed the card I set the pci-e slot as the main video device in BIOS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Outcomes