7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2015 5:40 PM by jawadsmokii

Crossfire and Temp

jawadsmokii

Hello , I have 290 MSI gaming , I was stupid enough to replace the thermal paste for one of my cards , the card was running flawless ... now it have temp issue the temperature goes fast to 94 and even when i put it as 2nd card .

I tried everything dot method tighten the screws ...

the problem is RMA would take 6 months at least for my country .

nothing wrong with my air flow btw ... Everything is good , i m just tempted to know what i have done wrong when i changed my thermal paste ...

thanks in advance .

i hope someone had the same issue and got it solved .

• Re: Crossfire and Temp
          backFireX64

Hello mate.

Apply a very thin layer of thermal paste onto the gpu die. Too much, or less than that will give you thermal issues.

What kind of paste (brand/ quality) did you use ? What is the cure time ?

Were there any thermal pads on the vram chips and voltage regulators that needed to be replaced as well ?

Have you properly reconnected the fan power cable ?

You might also want to take a look at this:

MSI R9 290 Gaming OC replace stock thermal compound before and after result - YouTube

savagebeastzero

Hey jawadsmokii,

Sorry to hear you're having issues, but I'll assist you in rectifying your situation. With that being said, let's get started!

Please elaborate the specifics of the TIM (Thermal Interface Material), otherwise known as Thermal Paste/Grease used during reapplication. That information would be extremely helpful for me to ensure that it's not simply a TIM that isn't compatible with your Twin Frozr IV Copper based plate.

Please state the exact TIM used during application. This is very important!!!

When you previously applied the thermal interface material, What steps were taken prior to application/the method used?

Below, I have listed the specific steps one should always take when replacing the thermal interface materials, specifically for a graphics processing unit. The methodology is quite different than for that of a central processing unit and each step below should be followed exactly for best results.

Note: Never apply the "dot" or "rice grain" cpu pressure methods when replacing thermal interface materials to a graphics processing unit, regardless of what the common misconception is. The thermal interface materials should always be spread out in an even fashion via applicator on a graphics processing unit as noted in the method I utilize below.  It can also be applied via the X  or asterisk * pressure method, but use this method with caution as the person conducting the maintenance tends to over apply with this method, which insulates the graphics processing unit. Thus negating the very purpose one would replace the thermal interface material.

Proper Graphics Processing Unit Thermal Interface Material Application Method: It's best to apply thermal interface material to a graphics processing unit by hand utilizing a razor as applicator to ensure the most even spread possible across the entire graphics processing unit, this ensures best heat transfer to the copper heat transfer plate located on the cooling unit.

The following materials are needed:

• 91% or higher Isopropyl alcohol or denatured
            • paper towels
            • infant cotton swabs
            • coffee filters
            • Soft Cloth such as eye glasses cleaning cloth or micro fiber cloth
            • High Quality thermal interface material such as Gelid GC Extreme or another non-conducive thermal interface material. Gpu's tend to produce massive amounts of heat and in my results Gelid GC Extreme provides the best results overall not only in terms of it's abilities, but also for it's ease of application and safeness, when applying it to such a delicate area. Gelid GC Extreme specifically will dramatically reduce temperatures and is non curing, thus will also offer immediate results. There are other comparable TIM's on the market, but this is a perfect example of a high quality TIM for use on a graphics processing unit that produces immense amounts of heat such as the R9 290
            • Head lamp or well lit work area
            • Anti-static sleeve/bag to place the graphics processing unit on while you perform the maintainance
            • Ability to ground yourself while conducting the maintenance to ensure the safety of yourself and the component
            • Razor

Step 1 / 1-7 (Cleaning the Graphics Processing Unit and the Twin Frozr's Copper heat transfer plate)

1. With a paper towel remove the immediate layer of thermal interface material on both the graphics processing unit and the heat transfer plate until only a "ghost" layer remains
            2. With a infant cotton swab remove any and all excess thermal interface material in the surrounding areas of the graphics processing unit
            3. With a paper towel applied with a small amount of isopropyl or denatured alcohol begin removing the "ghost" layer on both the graphics processing unit and the heat transfer plate, until both begin to shine
            4. With an infant cotton swab applied with a very small amount of isopropyl or denatured alcohol lightly dab the outer areas surrounding the graphics processing unit to ensure any remnants are removed
            5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 once again
            6. With a coffee filter applied with a small amount of isopropyl or denatured alcohol, gently rub both the graphics processing unit and the heat transfer plate until you are 100% confident that you cannot clean it any further. Both the graphics processing unit and the heat transfer plate should be immaculate at this point.
            7. With a micro fiber cloth, once more begin gently rubbing both the graphics processing unit and the heat transfer plate to ensure that both surfaces are as clean as possible leaving no fiber remnants behind from the previous materials, otherwise they could remain and promote poor heat transfer when under use

Step 2 / 1-8 (Applying the Thermal Interface Material)

1. Apply a small amount of thermal interface material to the graphics processing unit and with a Razor begin spreading it evenly across the graphics processing unit. Once evenly spread across the graphics processing unit, the thermal interface material should be roughly the thickness of a sheet of construction paper +/-. With that being said, continue to apply small amounts if needed until this result is achieved
            2. Ensure the work area is properly lit
            3. Ensure any and all thermal solutions (pads etc) are properly aligned as they were previously before joining the graphics processing unit pcb and the heat transfer plate
            4. Align the screw holes and to the best of your abilities, gently, but evenly lower the graphics processing unit onto the heat transfer plate of the Twin Frozr
            5. In an altenating pattern (example: bottom left, top right, top left, bottom right), begin tightening the screws of the heatsink/Twin Frozr, until firm yet not so tight that you destroy the graphics processing unit. Simply tighten by hand with a screw driver until normal/light force applied cannot turn them anymore due to resistance.
            6. Once resistance is felt, then take the screw driver and perform 1/4 turn to ensure best spread of thermal interface material
            7. Reassemble the unit
            8. Install into system and monitor your temperatures under normal conditions and once immediate results are deemed successful, monitor and record temperatures for data collection/future reference.

I hope this helps and if you have any further question, please don't hesitate to ask. Have a nice day and good luck with your maintenance.

AMD Community Thank You Template.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              black_zion

Your RMA would be denied anyway because you opened it. You also need to be using a TIM with LARGE particles, such as Arctic Silver 5, and don't even think about diamond based TIM for a GPU unless you want to kill it. Put a small sweet pea sized dot in the center of the GPU die and then attach the heatsink, tightening the X plate in an alternating corners method until the screws are snug. Don't bother with spreading it as the high pressure heatsink and very warm temperatures will spread it during use. Also I hope you were very careful not to damage any thermal pads or tape, or you're going to run into VRM or VRAM overheating issues.

savagebeastzero

Actually MSI allows the original owners to service their products personally, pending upon RMA, you return the product in it's original state. They changed their RMA policy due to the previous few AMD GPU generations such as the R9 290(x) running so hot, that many users deemed it unfair that they would lose their warranty status if they opted to adopt a water cooling solution to maintain their purchase under safer operating conditions.

For graphics processing unit's, MSI has one of the most flexible if not the most flexible warranty policies on the market today. This is the exact reason that I only purchase MSI based graphics processing unit's, aside from their fantastic air cooling solutions and general penchant for greater overclocking abilities due to that fact.

Anyways, I thought you'd like to know that as, it's what changed my perspective on them as a third party vendor.