rexfesto696

Display Scaling on Windows 10 won't work on non-widescreen resolutions

Discussion created by rexfesto696 on Jul 31, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 5, 2016 by rexfesto696

I installed Windows 10 on my previously Windows 8.1 laptop yesterday, and so far I'm loving it! Until I try to run games and/or programs that run at non-widescreen resolutions (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768)...

Here's the problem: Catalyst Control Center defaults to pillarbox mode for display scaling for non-widescreen resolutions. But I don't like pillarbox mode; I want the whole screen filled. So I go into the Control Center settings and change it from pillarbox to fullscreen. Then I switch the desktop resolution from 1366x768 (the default and highest on my laptop) to 800x600, and it works like I want it to.

However, when I try to run ANY program (it doesn't have to be a game) in a non-widescreen resolution, it automatically goes back to pillarbox mode! I quit the program and go back to Catalyst Control Center and check the settings, but they're the way I set them. I go back to the program, pillarbox mode again! Then I try minimizing the program (still at the non-widescreen resolution) and go into Catalyst Control Center and change it from pillarbox to fullscreen there, but even that doesn't work! It looks like it will, but when I quit the program and change the desktop resolution back to 1366x768 and start the program again, it STILL goes back to pillarbox mode! Even when I leave it at the non-widescreen resolution after changing it from pillarbox to fullscreen and quitting the program, it still goes back to pillarbox mode when I start the program again! It's not just one program either, I've tried several...

One more thing: I upgraded my desktop computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 yesterday as well. That computer uses a NVIDIA card and the NVIDIA Control Panel, and never had any trouble with display scaling! I even ran a program on it just now for a test. No trouble.

So this is AMD's fault. Can any of you people help me out with my problem and try to fix it? Because I wanna be able to enjoy Windows 10 on my laptop and NOT be frustrated by the video driver refusing to cooperate with my preferences!

Outcomes