AnsweredAssumed Answered

Radeon R7 260x keeps freezing computer

Question asked by exdec on Jul 31, 2015
Latest reply on Sep 6, 2015 by louisojeda

Hello!

I bought myself Asus Radeon R7 260x in January and I've been having a lot of problems with it since then.

Everything started fine - computer booted up and everything worked. After 10-20 minutes it just crashed with black screen. All the fans and HDDs were running fine - just no image on screen. After restarting computer with the button on my case the computer didn't boot up. Again - everything was running but I kept getting "No signal" on my screen.

Tried everything, nothing worked. So I sent the card back and got a replacement (an indication the card was faulty). Although the replacement works much better, I still get a lot of driver crashing and computer freezing (screen just freezes, can't do anything else except restart with a button). It's getting very, very annoying. Also, whenever I get a Skype call or start one myself, AMD drivers crash. Sometimes they recover immediately but sometimes it all ends with computer freezing.

Yesterday I also got THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER blue screen after everything froze.

I had same problems with Windows 8.1 Pro and now with Windows 10 Pro (upgraded to it yesterday).

Full PC specs:

Motherboard: ASRock B85M-DGS

CPU: Intel i5-4460 (had Pentium G3220 until first week of July - had same problem)

RAM: Crucial Spectek 4GB 1333MHz CL9    (don't remember exact model and I'm not willing to open my case and take it out to look at it)

HDD: Toshiba 500GB   (don't remember exact model)

PSU:Inter-Tech SL-500A 500W

Monitor: AOC E950SWN

I know this is graphics card problem because I never got problems like this while I was waiting for it to be delivered and was using Intel integrated graphics. Also didn't have any problems with my old HD6670. And since it's been few years while this graphics card is out I guess they have never been very interested in fixing it. And I know I'm not the only one with a problem like this.

Outcomes