14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2015 3:46 AM by backFireX64

Windows 10 and Office

kingfish

Will my Office 2013 (or any version) work with Win 10? I have not found a definitive answer from Micro$oft. Has anyone with Office upgraded and can tell me for sure?

• Re: Windows 10 and Office
          kingfish
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            mightyucker

I am using Win 10 pro x64 and Office 2013 works fine for me.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                kingfish

Thanks

backFireX64

Yeah... late as usual ... i can also confirm full functionality of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 x64 (with installed proofing tools) on Windows 10 64bit.

Actually... every piece of software i used on Windows 7 & 8.1 64bit have been running smoothly on the "final" RTM version of Windows 10 64bit since installing the new OS... with the exception of Kaspersky AV/ firewall software.

Gaming is hassle-free as well so far, including crossfirex, but i won't go too off-topic here...

People should really consider trying or making the free upgrade to W10, as it already proves to be a solid and fun OS to work and play with on a daily basis, at least on my account.

esmea

Same situation here (including being late).

I have installed Office 2013 Pro Plus or Home Student on 3 machines running Win10x64 in my home with absolutely no issues. (I'm still getting used to no charms bar, though)

In fact, the only issues I've come across in Win10 were Bugcheck errors from hardware failures.

backFireX64

Ok, i'll highjack the thread a bit.... (sorry stumped )

The one thing i absolute dislike about the new OS is the automated windows update service. Still, it does a good job of halting the update process when your internet connection is being heavily used for other prioritized purposes. I'd prefer the good ol' manual way anyday though...

Otherwise, w10 is at least on par with w8.1, and that means it is already a mature and fast OS all-around.

I would like to see an overhauled OS by Microsoft at some point in the future... something completely different from the classic windows formula... going to revisit the movie "her" in a short... I wonder if the movie title could refer to an advanced Cortana AI... if you know what i mean, he he.

backFireX64

Yeah, i know, and thanks for the helpful link man.

But how do you configure windows update to "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them", just like on windows 7 & 8.1 ???

I don't want to just "hide" an update or postpone an automated download process. I want to download the updates i choose to install and when i want to.

Let me finish downloading my... "digital file" first, or finish streaming, you know ?

And one more thing.

Why download and install a display driver AND a catalyst control center software on top of my older installation, when i did not choose to do so, for my own reasons ? Cause it happened when i was also about to manually install the latest catalyst 15.7.1 software. I had to cancel the setup, uninstall 2 driver entries from device manager, boot into safe mode and use DDU, then boot normally into windows, disable internet (it is actually 3 years since i last pulled the ethernet cable from my PC/ or disable it from device manager for similar reasons) and start all over again.

Man... was i pissed !

esmea

I may be a bit out of line for saying this: I haven't uninstalled my AMD drivers for any of the non-beta updates since before Windows 8. I'm fairly certain that I've actually seen it documented that it wasn't entirely necessary for Win8+. Perhaps my frequency of reformats has been my saving grace for that.

I've actually encountered more problems when I uninstall/clean install drivers than when I just update on top of old ones.

Like I said, though, I may be out of line with that, and perhaps I'm merely lucky. I don't suggest it... at least until I find the documentation on it.

kingfish

Well I'm in the process of installing W10 on my Toshiba laptop..which has no discrete graphics, just the Intel HD 4600. I am going to wait awhile for my big/gaming  computer. Thanks for clarifying  the hide/postpone thing. I am with you, I don't like that idea at all. So you can 'postpone' it, but it is going to get installed someday. Nuts to that

Here's another

Disable Windows Update in Windows 10 - 4sysops

backFireX64

Not exactly to be fair...

If i manage to manually install the gpu driver/ software myself first, for example, before windows update does that automatically for you, then no harm is done.

It's a little tricky.

The thing is, i kind of like to control most of the inbound and outbound internet connections on my computer, and that includes OS and general software updates.

And most importantly, i want to be the one to determine the point in time that i choose to do so, not have a service do that for me and just inform me to restart the PC.

I kind of feel that i am nagging here, cause otherwise i am impressed on how stable the new OS is on day1, compared to some earlier preview builds.

backFireX64

About the ideal driver installation method.... there is not any.

I've experienced trouble in both clean and normal procedures, and even when overriding on top. But i also got by just fine with either method at times, so... it really depends on how clean you keep the whole system and windows registry (that's where a format will always help on software level, in expense of faster HDD/ SSD wearout), and that requires a bit of experience and knowledge on computers, as well as an open mind to learn from past mistakes.

I do prefer to clean install a software/ program, but i have learned and accepted the risks of using a cleaning tool (a restore point can be a valuable friend). The default uninstaller for any program is recommended for the casual user though, in my opinion. Otherwise, let's all get a horrendously overpriced mac and be done with it. More or less.

esmea

If MSFT went a different route from the ground up, we would encounter a situation quite similar to what happened with Windows Phone 7 - it would be elegant and beautiful, but nothing would work; resulting in a massive exodus of the platform and Windows dropping from market dominance down to a 5% market share.

I much prefer the slow changes and do not desire to ever see a WP7 incident ever again.