AnsweredAssumed Answered

Freesync not working in all games?

Question asked by nazric on Jul 29, 2015
Latest reply on Jul 31, 2015 by nazric

I recently picked up a freesync monitor, the Acrer xg270hu to be exact, and I was a little dissapointed to see that screen tearing was still evident sometimes while gaming. I did the windmill test to make sure that it was working, which it was, but I noticed certain games would still experience tearing. Team Fortress 2 there was an improvement with Freesync, but there was still tearing all over the place when quickly panning the camera, and I was hoping that a fast paced first person shooter like TF2 would provide noticably better results with freesync on. A game I found especially bad was Dishonoured. In the begining of the game when you first get control you are told to speak to a woman who is standing in an area surrounded by pillars. I noticed that when I move the camera even at a moderate pace tearing was still evident especially visible in these pillars. Turning Freesync on and off made no visible difference in tearing. A game which has produced notably good results is Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeros. Even when turning the camera very fast I see no tearing (although I do see tearing in cutscenes which I think is due to bad porting from console), and only a little ghosting due to the lack of anti-ghosting in this monitor. I wanted to know, does freesync not work with every game, and are other people still experiencing some amount of screen tearing in certain games? (other peoples experiences with Freesync, and the games/monitor I mentioned are greatly appreciated) Is there something wrong with my setup thats causing an issue? And before you ask yes I do have Freesync enabled in catalyst and the popup explaining there is a Freesync compatible display did show up upon connecting the display.

System Specs:

Intel 4790k (Overclocked at 4.44 Ghz)

MSI Gaming 290X (On most recent driver and have tried both overclocked and stock)

Asus Z97-A motherboard (BIOS fully updated)

8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (running in its default XMP profile at 2400mhz)

Outcomes