3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2015 7:50 PM by kingfish

Is there a way I can help with better reporting of driver bugs?

theacclaimed

This question is meant mainly for AMD's CSE. Is there a way to submit a detailed example of an issue with the drivers and R9 390/390x? For example, demonstrating an issue in order to help with speeding up the time it takes to duplicate the problem?

I was thinking just upload the issues to youtube explaining the issue and showing the exact real world setup (livestream setup) but that can have negative effects which I would prefer to avoid.

I have submitted multiple bug reports to amd.com/report and left my email address each time but never got any response for any of these issues. I sent these bug reports in back before the issues were widespread (back in June). The issues I'm referring to specifically are ones concerning DX11 D3D crashes due to driver conflict when multiple applications are using GPU acceleration. For example, start up a dx11 game. Next, start up a youtube video on the 2nd monitor. Watch as the game client crashes shortly after.

Most of the people complaining online are referring to games crashing such as GTA V, FFXIV, ARK, etc. but these are all related to the same underlying bug.

I'm guessing the answer is no since these problems are found on the Radeon 300 series and not the FirePro series which is in a different market segment (end consumer vs enterprise business). But it would be nice if possible.

• Re: Is there a way I can help with better reporting of driver bugs?
          kingfish

I have always disabled hardware acceleration on 2D applications that interfere with 3D games. With modern processors you won't know the difference. Right click on any flash video and uncheck hardware acceleration.

Submitting a issue report does not mean you will receive any direct response from AMD. The way it works is, it's the number of reports with the same issue that gets their attention...one report is basically ignored, and you can understand why. Millions of AMD users and to be frank, most issues are caused by the person in front of the keyboard. If multiple reports come in, stating the same problem...and that problem can be reproduced...then chances are good for a fix in the next beta or WHQL release. All driver updates are for the most part driver 'fixes' and as stated on the driver download page, these fixes are a result of users reports.

In any event, the 3xx series has received numerous reports (if users are sending in the reports as they say they are) and AMD has stated the next driver release , timed with the "official" release date of Windows 10 ( 2 days ), has addressed some of the 3xx issues.

theacclaimed

Thanks the answer. I hope that this update applies to Windows 7 and 8.1. Since I'm very confused at this point with what to do with the 390x. I can't use it for livestreaming since Xsplit cannot disable hardware acceleration (neither can OBS) and as a result I cannot stream any DX11 game without it eventually causing a crash.

If I revert to my 290x or the competitor gtx 970 there are no issues. I can run hardware acceleration, I can run tons of applications just fine without worry about the quality of the drivers. With the old 290x or the gtx 970 I have peace of mind that my computer is stable and reliable. The 390x with the current drivers (including 15.15, 15.20 (15.7)) does not inspire the same level of confidence. This is actually the first time I've ever had issues with AMD's products.

Also, the 290x with 15.7 works perfectly. It is only the 390x and this is the 3rd 390x card I have tested.

kingfish

I would assume the updates are not solely for Windows 10..but you know that is the focus. One good thing is Microsoft has been working with AMD..that eliminates the 'surprise!' factor, zeros in on the problem, adjusted, fixed... and hopefully frees up assets to spend on  their flagship graphics card release . The forum now is basically questions about Windows 10 or AMD 3xx series cards. You know that it's been noticed.