6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2015 1:58 AM by Meteorhead

Catalyst 15.7 is major performance drop in Diablo 3

Meteorhead

I recently gave Diablo 3 a spin since last driver update, and had to see that there is roughly a 66% drop in frame rate.

I am using a Lenovo Z50-75 notebook, AMD FX7500 + AMD R7 255M + 8 GB DDR3 RAM. The issue holds for both single dGPU render, and Hybrid CrossFire enabled. (It would be nice to now if the latter is supported by the driver or not. I generally tend to enable CF for all games from CCC, and in Diablo it did seem to increase performance signifacntly.) Before, with CF enabled the game was playable in native fullHD resolution on lowest settings, now it chokes on 1280*720 too.

• Re: Catalyst 15.7 is major performance drop in Diablo 3
          hardcoregames™

AMD should have a new driver out soon, so tough it out or go back to a previous driver that is know to run well with your game

Meteorhead

I hear those two words, 'AMD' and 'soon' too often together. Roughly 2 years ago AMD shifted to a 2 months driver release interval as opposed to the earlier 1 month practice (which was very pressing period). Since then drivers are being delayed and delayed till ETERNITY. Last WHQL driver was 14.12 Omega, and now 15.7. Does it really take 7 months to roll out a driver? And at THIS quality?

And by quality I do mean that even the things it was released for do not work. I am an OpenCL dev too, and 15.7 was supposed to being about OpenCL 2.0 multi-device support, but only the IGP get's recognised as a 2.0 device, the GCN 1.1 dGPU does not. Most likely this is the reason APP SDK 3.0 is not out yet, because it was waiting for a proper multi-device driver, but 15.7 failed on being that. So I (as an admin too) will have to install a beta driver cluster-wide which will fix things that ought to ship in 15.7. It is the second driver to feature the no-X feature on linux (something that has been overdue for YEARS now), and it still does not work properly. Without the root user launching an OpenCL app, user apps cannot find fglrx, and even then they are bombarded by error messages (that delay execution and are damned annoying). FFS, Nvidia has a ****, ****, ******* outdated OpenCL runtime, but at least their driver loads without the admins having to jump through hoops!

'Tough it out' in this regard has a myriad of other meanings. All I wanted was to do some bloody hack'n'slash'n'gore after work, but even this gets screwed up.

radexipro

I noticed same when playing gta v new drivers underclocks my gpu to 501mhz when reaching certain temperature and wont go up until system reboot.

Meteorhead

15.7.1 Indeed does fix the performance issues.

1 of 2 people found this helpful