8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2015 10:13 AM by totpeedoff

ANY Linux Catalyst Driver > 14.12

wavetyler

With the recent release of Catalyst 15.7, I have tried again with my configuration which works using Catalyst 14.12.  Once again, I am faced with it not detecting my 3rd monitor, only showing 1 monitor, or not booting at all.  I do not get a response when trying to find out why from AMD.  The only response I've received was from another user with an inaccurate response.  Is there a known issues list which states that DisplayPort MST is no longer working in the latest drivers?  Did AMD drop support for DisplayPort MST? Is there a conflict that I'm unaware of?  Should I stop caring about trying to have the latest drivers?  (Frustrated because of new releases wasting my time)

Configuration:

Ubuntu 14.04

Caicos XT [Radeon HD 7470/8470 / R5 235 OEM]
      (AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series)

1 Dell MST montior connected to the DisplayPort chained to another Dell Monitor (DisplayPort MST)

1 Dell monitor connected to the DVI port.

Works on CCC 14.12 and shows the appropriate DisplayPort information.

Does not work on any version beyond CCC 14.12.

• Re: ANY Linux Catalyst Driver > 14.12
          coroner

An active adapter is required... they flipped the requirements I guess after 14.12 to now require an active adapter for a multi-monitor configuration.

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=30039&sid=b9e1dc057b17678efd7ce6a3c31b0cf3

wavetyler

coroner:

Wouldn't this only apply to cases where a DisplayPort to DVI/HDMI cable is being used?  If the card has two clocks, then my configuration should still work as I have only two ports total and two ports being used.  1 DisplayPort connected to a monitor (1) that is then chained to another (2) using it's own internal dp(mst) hub, and then the final monitor (3) being directly into the DVI port (no adapter needed).  Where would an active adapter fit into this configuration?  I'm experiencing the same frustration as Uthrain in the post you mentioned, along with the same results, so I would like to pursue this direction if it applies.

coroner

While I would like to agree with you, it seems in practice to not be working.

I do not have a similar enough configuration to try this.

The only thing remotely similar was a major downgrade with 15.5 where turning on crossfire disabled 2 of 3 monitors but that is gone with 15.7

wavetyler

Coroner,

As everything (specifically MST HUBS) just works with CCC 14.12, and it is after this where they (as you say) "flipped" the requirements, I am concluding that perhaps something in my configuration is causing the problem. I just can't figure out what.  In any of the newer drivers the MST is disabled and I only get 1 DVI and 1 DP monitor to work.  It would make sense if the DP monitors continued to work, and the DVI did not, but that is not what I get. I even have an external MST hub, that I have tried to use so that all monitors are being driven off of the one DP (removing the need for DVI) but MST remains disabled in the newer drivers.  Perhaps it's just an older card and support really isn't there (despite it being listed in the supported list) for MST.  Are their specific types of DP cables that would make a difference here?  Are you (or anyone else for that matter) aware of any?

CatalystDisplayPortInfo.jpg

garwynn

Have you tried a different kernel?  Newer versions are designed to support up to 3.19 and depending on how you're taking Ubuntu updates it may not be keeping up.  There's also the amdgpu open-source driver that's coming that will do quite a bit of the basic functions without fglrx, something to keep an eye on.  (I'm using 4.2rc4 for 15.04 and sadly no Fiji support yet so I stay mostly on console.)

wavetyler

garwynn,

I have another hard drive on this system where I have installed 15.04 for experiments like the one you describe.  This version gives the same issues/results with 15.3, 15.5, and 15.7.  I've been following the MST support in the Intel drivers, and hopefully now that attention has been turned to the AMD/NVIDIA drivers this will give us more options.  I just wish display drivers in Ubuntu weren't so volatile.

Thanks for your thoughts.

garwynn

One thing that I've found helps - jump ahead on the kernels.

I had similar results as Ubuntu releases new kernels with sketchy results.

It works on 14.04 jumping from 3.17 to 3.19 - I wouldn't recommend it with 15.04 going to 4.0 yet.

(Unless you're up for manually patching to get the modules built for DKMS)

totpeedoff

TL:DR it all response, IME you have to use atconfing to tell it that you have extra monitors and how they relate.

I'm just battling with the latest catalyst driver and need to crawl through past notes on how to specify that layout as it is missing in the new man pages.