5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2015 2:23 PM by ray_m

Why are there ads in the AMD Install Manager?

sammyg

Hello!

I recently installed the drivers for my AMD Radeon graphics card, and I noticed that there are ads in the installation program. During installation, I kept seeing horrifying headlines (the next worse than the previous), such as (but not limited to):

"Dead Island"

"Epidemic"

"Murdered"

@mods: Please understand, those are AMD's [advertised] words, not mine.

Is my drivers installation program infected with a virus perhaps or some nasty spyware? If so, what can I do about it? Is this normal? If so, why is it normal? Why am I seeing this? Is this what I paid for? What is the meaning of this all? What kind of message is AMD sending to me as a customer and consumer? Are these the key words I am supposed to associate with AMD from now on? Death? Epidemic? Murder?...

Horrible! I can understand if you are trying to make some coins through advertising. But what's it doing in the installation program? Is it not enough that we are bombarded with ads already as it is; on the web, on the TV and radio, "social media" and so on? I have already bought the product! What more do you want? Why does AMD feel the need to bombard me with some more ads during the drivers installation process? Isn't that counter-intuitive? Unintelligible even?

The way I see it, this type of behavior from AMD serves as a customer deterrent. It presents a horrible OOB experience! If I want games, I know where to get them. These games are not even made by AMD! How much money is AMD earning by placing these third-party software ads in the installation program for their hardware products?

There is a check box option in the installation program, titled "allow web content". It is normally checked, but even when I click on it to un-check it, the ads continue to be served throughout the installation process. Worse still, it doesn't stop with the installation program. Once the drivers are installed, the ads continue to be served in the configuration utility (Catalyst Control Center). With the poor consolation that the "allow web content" check box works in the configuration utility and it does disable the ads.

What about the security of Catalyst Control Center? How can it deliver web content in the program window? Is it using Internet Explorer components to do that? Like the old ways of Windows 98 and Explorer shell? What if Internet Explorer is outdated and is not used as the preferred browser on the computer? The Control Center will still use that unsafe browser code just to deliver web ads? What if the web resource is hijacked and replaced with malicious code? Will Control Center deliver that too?

Ads be damned! I want quality products, not brainwashing ads! I guess I did get what I paid for then?...

What do you guys [users and customers] think about this? And what is AMD's position on this matter? Has this ever been discussed internally at AMD? Externally?... I only found one, somewhat related discussion on Reddit, concerning one specific advert. But other than that, there is really not much information to go on. Users must have developed some sort of immunity to this sort of thing...

• Re: Why are there ads in the AMD Install Manager?
          ray_m

Those are just ads for AMD supported gaming titles,

You can always uncheck the 'web content' box if they bother you.

sammyg

What are AMD supported gaming titles? Is AMD sponsoring these game developers financially, and assisting them with technical expertise?

There is this Featured Games list: http://www.amd.com/en-us/markets/game/featured

Is this what it is? Ads for featured games? What are featured games anyway? I didn't find the answer at the linked page. You have to forgive me, because I am not a gamer. Not all computer users are gamers. Just like not all computer users are enthusiasts. Neither are all enthusiasts who build their own computers based on AMD components gamers. I don't like putting labels on people. However, I do understand that AMD is hard at work profiling itself as a company of gamers, and as a brand of gamers. A catchy slogan like "by gamers, for gamers" might best describe these intentions. But AMD needs to understand that not all of its users are gamers! What about the rest of us?... What about "enthusiasts"? Is this a lost breed now? And what about your regular users who use computers for banking and e-mail?

But gamer or not, no one in their rightful mind likes having ads served up to them, right after they purchased a new hardware component and are installing the necessary drivers for it. Especially not ads by or from the same company whose product they purchased and installed moments ago. I can see how AMD might find that a perfect opportunity... you know, you got your graphics card installed, now you're installing the drivers... hey all you need now is some games you can play, and what's better than AMD "featured games".

The way I see it, this whole approach is wrong. But for starters, it would be nice to be able to disable the ads, but as I stated earlier, the "allow web content" check box is not doing anything useful for the Install Manager. Is this a bug? If it is a bug, then it is an acceptable bug [from AMD's point of view]... considering that it has been included in all Catalyst releases for more than a year now.

black_zion

Calm down. You're overreacting about simple banners about AMD sponsored games? I'd hate to see what you think about that crapware Raptr.

sammyg

You mean banners that don't even work sometimes? I have seen the installer display blank sheets and an X instead of the proper banner ads. On those rare occasions, even ads look fantastic.

Do you think it is OK to have ads in the installation program like this? I just want to know what your position is.

As for Raptr, I once installed that by mistake. I thought my PC got hijacked. Then I learned that it's just some gaming software. I was too quick on the Next button. But I was able to uninstall it and get rid of it that way. Also, unlike the ads, you as a user are given the option to install it, or not to install it. How do you pronounce "raptr"? I spit my monitor when I try to pronounce it!

In my opinion, Raptr or "gaming evolved", should be offered as a separate download, and not baked in as part of the Catalyst package. It has nothing to do with Catalyst drivers. OK, to be fair, it does seem to offer some kind of driver optimizations on game-to-game basis. But it is not an essential part of a functional graphics driver. To me, it's just a gimmick.