11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2015 7:19 PM by panelrob

No 2xDVI 1xHDMI and incorrect aspect ratio after upgrade from omega 14.12 to 15.7

panelrob

This week I upgraded from catalyst omega 14.12 to catalyst 15.7. I have a Radeon 280 which was happily outputting the following:

- HDMI to DVI adapter - 1920x1200 - Dell 2405FPW (native res 1920x1200)

- DVI - 1680x1050 Dell 2005FPW (native res 1680x1050)

- DVI - 1680x1050 Dell 2005FPW (native res 1680x1050)

Following the upgrade I am no longer able to output to more than 2 of these monitors at a time. According to http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/170  my working set-up was never officially supported anyway, so it seems that functionality has been removed for some unknown reason.

But it gets much worse. If I attempt to output any resolution to either of my Dell 2005FPW via DVI, no matter what resolution I set, no matter whether I enable VSR or not, no matter whether I enable GPU up-scaling or not, no matter what preferred scaling mode I set, the output is ALWAYS 1920x1080 as measured at the monitor. The content of this 1920x1080 signal is then somewhat related to the chosen resolution with beautiful letter-boxing or scaling issues, depending on the exact combination of scaling at the monitor (Fill/Aspect), scaling in CCC, and VSR. In any combination either I have letter-boxing, or if the image fills the display then the image is in an incorrect aspect ratio. I know this becuase the monitor is categorically 16:10, so if I set CCC to output a resolution of 1680x1050 then a square image should be square on the display, it is rectangular. I do know how to use a ruler so I was able to check that myself. This is not entirely surprising as the resolution at the monitor is measured as 1920x1080 which is a 16:9 aspect ratio and entirely inappropriate for the display. In CCC under My Digital Flat Panels -> Properties the maximum reported resolution is 1680x1050, and yet Desktop Management -> Desktop Properties offers up to 1920x1080 even without VSR enabled which makes no sense at all. What is going on I do not know, but this is specific to the new driver with inconsistent behaviour across the UI and an output which is inconsistent with user configuration.

I do have an active displayPort to DVI adapter but this will negatively impact my switched HDMI setup. Please advise on both aspects of this post.

• Re: No 2xDVI 1xHDMI and incorrect aspect ratio after upgrade from omega 14.12 to 15.7
          panelrob

More evidence of the incorrect resolution and aspect ratio. Although in CCC under Desktop Management -> Display Settings I currently have 1440x900 selected and listed as the active mode for my only active Dell 2005FPW, windows "Screen Resolution" reports the resolution as fixed at 1920x1080 with no option to change resolution. Out of curiosity I have also tried changing the resolution on my Dell 2405FPW attached via HDMI and although the aspect ratios are correct for this monitor, any resolution chosen was reported by the monitor as a signal received as 1920x1200. Again this is specific to this driver as these monitors have correctly displayed and reported resolutions previously, including with this graphics card and more than 4 others.

Only slightly off-topic but I am also entirely unable to duplicate displays in any configuration. Attempting to duplicate a display in CCC results in a dialog saying "Your displays have been reconfigured. Do you want to keep these changes?" yet nothing has happened, not even a flicker.

• Re: No 2xDVI 1xHDMI and incorrect aspect ratio after upgrade from omega 14.12 to 15.7
            theacclaimed

I think the output resolution from the monitor's point of view will always be either the maximum (native) resolution or a lower resolution. Anything higher is actually a "virtual resolution" something that the GPU is downscaling and then outputting to the monitor.

For example, if you set the resolution to 1920x1080 on a monitor that's native res is 1920x1200, depending on the monitor you will either get a letterboxed image with black bars on the top and bottom or you will get a vertically stretched image if the monitor does not support letterboxing.

If you select a higher resolution than the monitor can handle such as 2560x1440 this is actually a Virtual Resolution enabled by VSR. What is actually being displayed is a resolution divisible of the selected virtual resolution because of the downscale algorithm. On a 1200p monitor this will result in letterboxing because of the difference in aspect ratio.

The problem here is the 16:10 vs 16:9. Also, keep in mind that running multi-monitors where you have different resolutions is a lot more complicated for the driver than multi-monitor same resolution. I mention this last point because there could some issue with the multi-monitor resolutions and VSR.

Also, if VSR is disabled you should not see any resolutions higher than the max supported for that monitor; unless you have the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" option unchecked in windows.

panelrob

Nope. When I say the resolution is "reported by the monitor" what I mean is I am going into the monitors configuration menu and reading the values from there. That involves no interaction with my machines operating system or catalyst drivers what-so-ever. As far as the monitor is concerned it is receiving a resolution of 1920x1080 and downscaling it to 1680x1050 which is its native "optimal resolution".  "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" is indeed unchecked for all monitors, but it is also disabled so I am unable to configure it. If that were a significant factor I would expect the options in CCC to go above the native resolution of my main monitor without VSR explicitly enabled, which it does not. Only the listed resolutions for my two secondary monitors extend above the EDID maximum (and only by 1 resolution setting, nothing fancy here at all).

To re-iterate, when I choose the resolution 1680x1050, the monitor does not receive a signal at that resolution. If anything, the behaviour is more consistent with VSR always being enabled and always at the wrong resolution for the monitor.

theacclaimed

The monitor is not receiving 1920x1080. It is receiving a downscaled 1080p at 1680x1050. The graphics card is downscaling the resolution. Monitors cannot downscale from a resolution they do not support. If you send 1080p to the monitor you will get a black screen.

Monitors have a fixed pixel count. They cannot change the shape of their physical pixels.

panelrob

You will notice that I talked about EDID reported maximum and the monitors native resolutions, which are not necessarily the same as the monitors maximum supported resolution. I have not said that the monitors are incapable of receiving higher resolutions. What you are asserting is that my monitor is receiving 1050p but then reporting an entirely different resolution to the user, which has nothing to do with the received signal, and yet happens to match the one resolution CCC offers above what should be the "maximum" (in the EDID sense, for optimal viewing) for the monitor - a spooky coincidence indeed. I am not sure why you believe that makes more sense than a monitor being capable of downscaling in addition to upscaling to a native resolution from a wider range of resolutions it is capable of receiving

Do you have any evidence for this opinion which is not anecdotal?

theacclaimed

If you set the resolution higher than the monitor is capable of, assuming this is a non-virtual res, you will receive an "out of range" error or something to that effect displayed by the monitor. It means the monitor will not display that resolution.

Example without VSR enabled.

Example with VSR enabled

panelrob

I am not sure how to respond to this without seeming antagonistic. What you are saying is quite possibly true in the general case but is not necessarily always the case for all. You almost certainly can not assert what you are saying with authority because it requires you to prove a negative, over a set of thousands of products and yet further ranges of supported resolutions, recommended resolutions and maximum resolutions. If what you were saying were correct then either:

1. there would have to be a very strange back-channel through which the host machine reported the screen resolution independently to the video signal, AND this would require that the two would not have to match
                                2. all 3 of my monitors are faulty, but in a way which is only evident when interacting with the latest 15.7 drivers, and yet in a way which my experience would indicate is far more likely to be a software glitch on the host machine

Occams razor would suggest both of these scenarios are unlikely, and your extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. What I am suggesting is quite simple, that the monitor can support resolutions slightly above the resolution it reports as an EDID maximum, as the EDID maximum it is reporting is infact the "optimum resolution" (using Dells own terminology) as it matches the native resolution of the display. Then, if a signal is received at a lower resolution the image is upscaled, depending on the scaling setting chosen in the monitors menu - as is standard across many monitors. If however a signal is received which is larger than the native resolution, but still within the maximum resolution the monitor is capable of processing, the main board in the monitor is capable of downscaling to the native resolution. I strongly doubt this is as far-fetched as you imply, as the differences in upscaling and downscaling algorithms tend to be trivial.

You are providing very generic, trivially simple information. Even if this were accurate it is not clear how this would be beneficial from a troubleshooting perspective. I am not an ignorant new user with little experience of software or hardware, I have a doctorate in a technical discipline and many years of software engineering experience. I appreciate your attempt to help, but please read fully the information I have provided rather than assuming I do not understand the most basic aspects of the hardware.

To repeat myself again. The maximum resolution offered within CCC is higher than the EDID maximum with VSR disabled. The resolution reported at the monitor is that same resolution. No matter what resolution I select in CCC, the secondary monitors report receiving 1920x1080 which is above the EDID maximum.