12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2015 3:11 PM by imasundaj

Another integrated/dedicated cards problem.

tjen420

Hello,

I've recently bought an MSI GX70 3CC Destroyer laptop with the intent of well, gaming of course. But i've encountered some problems with some games not being able to recognize my dedicated graphics card and somehow always using my integrated one. The dedicated one is a lot better so i have to make serious compromises to be able to play. Now, the games who had this problem i always was able to bypass it in someway, going in my performance settings or my switchable graphics settings and all that. I was glad that i had solved this for all of my games, until i bought GTA V.

This is a very stubborn game which does not support crossfiring and seems to resist every solution to the problem so far. It still only recognizes my onboard graphics. I have contacted Rockstar Support and had a lengthy conversation about it and we were able to conclude the following:

"I have an APU (AMD A10-5750M CPU + integrated AMD Radeon HD 8650G 768MB GPU)
      + a dedicated GPU (AMD Radeon R9 M290X or a.k.a. the rebadged HD8970M 2GB)

GTA V and other games seem to only use the integrated card, and ignore the dedicated one. Hence the game (GTA V) only showing 768mb video memory.

Things i have tried: Multiple re-installs of the drivers, disabling the integrated card in device manager, putting the game and the launcher to 'High Performance' setting which would indicate it was using my dedicated card. None of these things have worked.

I have also looked into my BIOS where some people have found the solution, which was simply disabling the integrated card. There is no such option in my very limited BIOS.

Other people have reported solving this by simply going in AMD's Control Center and disabling dual graphics. I also have no such option in my Control Center.

Next step: Contacting AMD about this problem."

So this is me, reaching out to AMD with this issue.

I'd appreciate any help with this because eventhough the game wouldn't be able to run on very high settings because of it's beefy requirements, the game runs extremely poor now so it feels like a waste of money.

Thanks in advance!

Me and Rockstar Support will both be awaiting replies.

Greetings,

Tjen

• Re: Another integrated/dedicated cards problem.
          imasundaj

Hi,

I have the same problem but on a different laptop. I have a Lenovo G505s with an A10-5750m APU and an R5 M230 dGPU. Using GPU-Z I can confirm that the dGPU is not active. It doesn't matter what I play or what program I use. I tried setting profiles for different applications, bought a brand new hdd and installed win7 clean, tried using Lenovo's drivers and the newest 15.7.1 Catalyst drivers. No luck with it so far. I'll try installing win10 but I doubt it will solve anything as there is a known issue with the Catalyst drivers.

• [423520] AMD Dual Graphics may not be available on some AMD A10-5750M-equipped laptops

A sticker on my laptop says "A10 Elite Quad-Core". Yeah...elite...

thing50

I cant believe it! I have an ENVY M6 1302sa with Radeon Dual Graphics, I read the first post and it said something about disabling dual graphics and it made a MASSIVE difference!...GTA V has been running like a dog for me...popping out textures....roads disappearing....choppy when driving just awful...

Now it runs like the youtube videos I was watching before I bought it.

Install the latest catalyst drivers from AMD 15.7.1 and right-click your desktop and select 'graphics properties'...in there go to 'performance' and 'AMD Radeon Dual Graphics' and simply disable it...I just cannot believe the difference this had made...

nskyline

Hi,

I have the same laptop as imasundaj(Lenovo G505s A10 5750m + r5 m230),and I have the same problem. I like to monitor the pc while I am gaming and I noticed a long time ago that my r5 m230 is not active. Then i started thinking what is the source of the problem. First I tested a lot of driver versions beta and normal too, that didn't help. I tried some gpu based work to test if the card work at least (mining bitcoin and even at futuremark, but only at the highest settings) and it turned on and worked fine so its not a dead chip or something like that. I remembered when i bought the laptop I had used the r5 only, because I had only a 4GB 1600 cl11 ram and the input-lag was terrible. I realized that the r5 stopped working after upgrading ram (it sound *** but..)(btw the "new" rams are 2x 4GB 1600MHz cl9 HyperX). I tried to put the old ram back and worked, i tried mixing them and every other option and the result was: Dual Graphics only works If only one ram module installed (at least for me), i do not know how it reacts with other manufacturer's rams and unfortunately i don't have the opportunity to test it. other bugs if you install the new rams u have to enter the bios and save it otherwise you end up with 3,2 Gb of system memory AND ~4.8GB of graphics memory( GTA V seen this and hell this worked i mean none of the textures missed or anything but there wasn't enough system mem. to run. My other experiments that while using mantle dual graphics works fine (dragon age inquisition).

anyways that APU is really good, I happy with my choose with AMD, it runs Titanfall, Guild Wars 2, and other games fine. A lot of people told me: "oh the cpu performance is sh***". 1 it is an affordable gaming laptop and for games you do not need tons of cpu power. 2 it thermal throttles to the hell, if I buy a new laptop i will totally disassemble this and put a desktop cpu cooler on it because while gaming you run at 1,4 to 2 GHz and while browsing it boosts to 3,2 for all cores.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    imasundaj

Hi,

That is very interesting. I have 8 GB of ram in my laptop. It was 4 originally. I upgraded it with another 4 GB stick. So I'll test your solution out. However I need the laptop on a daily basis, but on the weekend I might give it a try. I'll write here my results. Thank you nskyline for the post.

nskyline

I almost forgotten, you should remove the """air filter""" in front of the vent. And thats not an actual filter its a plastic sheet that fully block airflow, just try it. I did removed on mine, it get colder so it not thermal throttles that much. The are only two negative effects: one you have to clean it about two times a year(or if its dusty), two be careful what you place on your laptop, because without it anything can enter the fan and stop it. (at 105C the laptop will immediately stop without warning so it will not die)

imasundaj

Thanks, I already removed the "filter". And I also have a NuoXi S500A laptop stand, that has 5 fans. So throttling is not really an issue anymore. But thank you for the tip. I have one question however. Did you by any chance came across any software that can monitor the temperature accurately and correctly on the APU and/or the GPU? I can't seem to find one. The only program that gives something is the AMD Overdrive utility, but even that only gives some reverse temperature. (The amount of temperature that is left before the socket on the motherboard melts down or something like that.) It's not useless but close to it.

nskyline

Sure, I use Open Hardware Monitor, it also have a widget that works on any windows version. Here is their website. And amd overdrive utility gives the temps left to the point where it starts to throttle down. Unfortunatelly i do not have a laptop cooler so mine usually runs really hot, i mean about 80-90C at summer and 70-80 in this cold weather, btw my room is really hot at summer and often gets above 36C without AC, even with AC set on 16C i cant get below 29.

imasundaj

It Works! Thank you very much! I've been looking for this for ages. At last I can check the temps correctly. Not long ago I used AMD Overdrive and when I played some games it showed somewhere around 0. (So the maximum allowed temperature I guess) But without the laptop stand it went to -10. The numbers even turned red. That was the reason I bought the cooler. Thank you again for the temperature monitoring program.

The other thing I did today is I tried your solution for the crossfire problem. At it also works. So the problem is indeed with the memory. I used FurMark for my little test.

I have Windows 7 64 bit and the latest Catalyst driver (15.7.1) downloaded from amd.com.

- Only the original 4GB memory stick installed, Crossfire working, Monitoring programs showing the R5 M230 working:

Furmark produced around 6fps

- With 8 GB memory istalled, (2x4GB in dual channel) FurMark says crossfire is enabled, but monitoring programs show no activity from the R5 M230:

Furmark produced around 9fps

Although I did not run the test for long, and it was just some brief check, it clearly shows performance improvement. So I'll leave the 8GB memory in the laptop. It also feels faster.

So based on the above mentioned tests, crossfire is working no matter the amount of RAM, but for some reason monitoring programs think that the dGPU is not working. Is this possible?

nskyline

Unfortunately the program says the truth i even removed the black plate to see and its cold(er) and the r5 is not working but you can try GUI miner thats a bitcoin mining app and it can utilize a specified gpu and you will see when it working. I think the problem is that the dual-channel increases the memory speed of the iGPU to 128bit and with that the r5 can't keep up. I think this might be bios related, but then why turns on by mantle? Maybe its a DirectX problem, I hope Dx12 will help because the R5 is compatible with it. I also see that u using windows 7 I highly recommend to upgrade to 10 or 8.1. Its a lot faster and use way less system by itself. Also boots faster. At 10 install be careful at "Quick settings" or something like that Microsoft has some security issues but it can be removed by turning off all here . for me the apu runs Titanfall above 40-50 fps at INSANE settings O.O

imasundaj

As Homer Simpson would say...DOH! I thought it would be wise to buy a laptop with a strong APU so that it is as future proof as possible. Now for this reason I'm having the worst issue I've ever had. I also opened a service request to AMD, but they haven't responded to it. I just want to use the laptop's full potential.

I was thinking about upgrading to Windows 10, and I'm still not excluding this possibility. But I'm afraid of the security issue(s) it might come with. Yes, I know it can be switched off, but is it really switched off? Yes, I know, I'm paranoid. But it was a more or less free software. There has to be a catch.

However, I have an HDD lying around somewhere and I might install Windows 10 on it, if it will make crossfire work with 8GB RAM. But unless it does, I think the security risk that comes with Win10 is too big. But I might get bored on the weekend.

nskyline

The bug news are here!

A few days ago my cousin were at our house, he brought his laptop. he had a 4GB stick (cl7 if I remember well) at 1066 MHz. I put that in at the slot 0. The other slot was filled by my ram (ofc slowed down). The magic happened, It worked fine cf/swichable came alive. After that i refilled all the slots with my rams. Unexpectedly it worked fine then I opened the Radeon settings =>system tab => and the memory clock was 533 MHz(it should be 800), I checked at other apps but they shown me 800. Also the Total memory Bandwidth decreased from 25GB/s to 17.5GB/s. And with that everything was fine worked better than ever cf worked all time. But then I restarted the laptop unfortunately and its gone.... everything gone to "normal"(more likely bugged state).

We tried this at 2 laptops mine was the story above the lenovo G505s

The other one was a lenovo z50-75 (fx7500 + R7 260M) the only difference that for him this hadn't work, but for him cf sometimes works.