5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2016 1:28 AM by trentius_

Our APU Just Exploded?

domino584

We just recently built a new PC with a A8-7600.  Everything was running.  About a week later, the cooler just exploded and the APU does not function.

Within a week of use, the machine started to have odd performance issues.  Decided to go into the UEFI BIOS to set everything back to default.  Changed the Integrated GPU back to PEG mode so we could properly get into the BIOS through the dedicated card, saved the settings, and then the temperatures started to skyrocketed.  It went from ~40C and reached 75C until we turned it off.  We switched the monitor VGA to the dedicated card (MSI R7 260X 2GB) and started the machine back up after letting the temperatures cool down for about a minute.  The motherboard speaker gave us 3 beep.  We tried it again to see if it was just some error, but again, 3 beeps.

We disconnected the tower and opened it up.  There we combusted aluminum dust all over the motherboard and components.  Started to inspect the APU and found the cooler exploded, metal sharps on the bottom of the case, and the APU "unharmed".  My fiance has had numerous surgeries to her nose, and such dust could cause serious complications and harmful health effects.  I'm pissed.  What the hell just happened?

PICT_20150717_200856.JPGPICT_20150717_200902.JPGDSC02879.JPGPICT_20150717_203032.JPGPICT_20150717_202600.JPGDSC02877.JPGPICT_20150717_200820.JPG

I've already made a support claim with AMD but I'm also posting on the forums for further support.  This QA on their APUs is completely unacceptable.  If this was to occur while we are outside of the house, this could have caused problems much more severe than this.

As for the rest of our components, what is recommended for cleaning the aluminum oxide product from the combustion so nothing else is broken?  Is highly concentrated alcohol, same used for clearing thermal paste, good?

• Re: Our APU Just Exploded?
          jwrealing

Your biggest problem was that you used the stock cooler. It could be that you didn't have it seated right and your system overheated. I fried a system I built last year because the stock cooler fan failed. The complete system motherboard, CPU, one of the memory sticks lost because the fan failed. An yes like yours it ran fine for a few days. 

domino584

I'm fairly doubtful of the stock cooler being the issue.  Non the less, I had a Hyper 212 EVO on the way but it didn't arrive in time.

When we changed the BIOS setting back to normal, the temperatures began to spike and not correct itself.  By my understanding, the cooler exploded by induction heating by a faulty GPU.

Originally, under stress, we noticed the temps would reach 90 C.  I reseated it, new thermal paste, stressed again, and the temps would not exceed 70.  Everything was fine for 5 days.  The moment we go back into the BIOS, change the setting, this happens.  Likewise, we were having errors of "running out of memory", blue screens, etc., regardless the machine had 8 GB of DDR3-1866 memory.  I kept the GPU enabled for HSA.  Since we were having these issues, and sometimes her Sims game would lock up and hang, I decided to turn it off, but hey, it decided to blow.

Non the less, I'm sending it back to Amazon as AMD's RMA service is going to take too long.  We're going with the 860K.  I'm really regretting going with AMD over Intel's offering.  Hopefully we won't get this unlucky with the second chip.  We don't have money to just throw away over poor QA practise.  Hopefully the other parts aren't bad either.

trentius_

I have been having overheating issues with my A10-6800k where it reaches ~90° and then my system bluescreens. But my system has been in use for ~2 years with the same issue, I have learned to deal with it but recently the temps have been reaching higher and getting there faster should I get a replacement or just stop using it and go to Intel? I should also note currently it is underclocked too around 2ghz.

pabupata

''Within a week of use, the machine started to have odd performance issues.  Decided to go into the UEFI BIOS to set everything back to default.''

So you overclocked with a stock cooler and the system went unstable?

Anyway something doesn't seem right.

That's a stock cooler with thermal paste instead of a thermal pad? Exactly what paste is that?
                Cpu and mobo looks fine on the outside but an aluminium heatsink has melted? That's weird.

moonstar

From the pics it looks as if not enough thermal solution was added to the CPU.  Also, the amount of heat required to melt your cooler as it did is extreme.  We're talking +600*C.  The only other thing I can think of that would cause that would be a high voltage discharge, meaning you possibly had a ground point and electrical arc between the board and the cooler.  All in all, I would say you are lucky there was not more substantial damage outside of what you have here.