10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2015 10:43 AM by ekapidani

GPU OVERCLOACKING   ????!

ekapidani

Hello, I just reg-ed here only to ask a question, hope its the right place for I have no Idea where should I b asking.

CPU: AMD A6 ELITE 5350m  APU dual core @ 2.9ghz (up to 3.5 with turbo)  not sure if turbo means overcloacked but I suspect it is not and would like to know how to do that.

RAM: DDR3   4 gb (to b doubled within month)

GPU: ATI RADEON HD 8450G  with  750mb dedicated vram (more or less) up to 2.1gb

HARD DRIVE: 640GB 5400RPM hard drive with HP protect smart hard drive protection

gpu says up to 2.1 gb while dedicated is around 750mb.

i wanted to know if I can and how to raise its dedicated memory to 2gb. tnx folks. Regards.

• Re: GPU OVERCLOACKING   ????!
          clivingston76

The memory is shared with your DDR3 memory in your laptop. You might be able to go into the BIOS and change the memory for your Graphics, but I highly doubt it. Even if you could though, it is not your Memory that is holding you back, it is the GPU itself. You will be limited to Low Resolutions and Low Settings if you game. I wouldn't bother putting more memory in there either, it will not give you a significant performance gain, unless you are loading and manipulating large picture/media files. Use a monitoring program to see how much memory you are actually using...

ekapidani

I wanted this to b a universal (?). But yr tight. I wanted to b able to play WATCH DOGS on my laptop. WD min spec is cpu quadcore ...I run it on dual core n it takes only 85% of cpu. Time to time goes 92%. Min ram is 6 while mine is 4. And only 3.2 usable. Now graphics for WD in min should b 1gigs while mine isnt more then 80omhz. Now, cpu problem is no longer an issue. About ram n vram i am compensating it with pagefile. When exiting game pc is very slow to respond so  restart it to use other stuff in it. Then is normal again. While in game bfore pagefile i haf around 8fps max. And loading it took up to 10 minutes. Now with pagefile 20gb game load for about 2-3minutes. And fps ingame is 15-23. However it still gives me hell in highspeed no matter the vehicle. I been playing WD for first time when wrote this post and around 13 hours ago i shut down the laptop so i could sleep. So far so good. U adding ram is useless. Y? It is 4 now with 3 usable. Vram is 750.meaning that to go to 2.1 itll leave ram with 1.1 usable. Another 4 should b good no?  Perhaps should i mention that in this laptop ive played all series of assassin creed apart from unity. All gta except 5. All far cry.  call of duty up to 4th. And some other games that i cant even remembr. Thnx for yr advices clivingston76. Much appreciated altho it hasen risen more questions about ram adding. Regards.

clivingston76

You GPU has a bandwidth of only 25.6GB/sec. I did not say adding ram

would be useless, I said it would not be a significant performance gain.

While adding some more memory might have a small improvement, I would

not expect some sort of miracle. You have a 20GB pagefile too? Holy...

Try adding some ram then to help with your computer being slow to

respond, but do not expect much more on the graphics side of things. In

the end it is still your APU's GPU that is holding you back.

ekapidani

Hi. Would u b kind enough to enlight me how the apu is holding back the gpu.? Is there a way to undo that? Im no tech guy. All i know i learned it when i bought the laptop and after. Pagefile dont giv performance boost to yr pc but it sure does on wathc dogs. Anyways been circling in the web tocknow how but not found anything usefulcso far. What idclikectocknow now is...is there a way to make a specific app likecwatch dogs to use only pagefile? I know it shortens yr hdd's life but its gonna b for a month or so. Justcto complete the game then pagefile goes back to 1357 mb how it was. Ty. Regards.

clivingston76

Check out this site

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8450G.89652.0.html

It will give you a good idea of what to expect as far as performance is

concerned.

I never said your APU is holding back the GPU, I said your APU's GPU is

holding you back, which just happens to be connected to your CPU on the

same chip.

You cannot change the GPU without changing the actual APU though, so you

are basically stuck with what you have, unless you upgrade to a better

APU, eg... an A10-5750M , which will give you a little bump in performance.

I would advise against messing around with the pagefile too, but you are

welcome to do what you wish, it is your laptop.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    black_zion

If you can it will be in the laptop's BIOS.

clipped.osprey

There are a couple more things you need to understand about your system. clivingston76 has done a good job of explaining and trying to help out.

How an APU works: The CPU and GPU are together. They share whatever DDR3 memory is available, and work together. Normally, 4 GB of ram is sufficient in most systems, but in yours, a lot of RAM needs to be used by the gpu, and depending on what resolution you're playing at, this can be quite a lot! - up to 2.1 GB!

The amount of RAM on your system is insufficient to hold all the programs in memory, so the system starts to use a "pagefile" that is stored on your HDD as memory. - THIS CAN BE VERY SLOW. RAM has a bandwidth of ~~29GB/s while your HDD is ~1000x slower, so the system doesn't run that well.

The turbo on the cpu is usually enabled by default, and it clocks up whenever it needs to and the temps are low.

Upgrading the RAM on your system would be beneficial, BUT if you want to play modern games such as WD, your best bet is to upgrade your entire system or get a cheap budget desktop.

I hope that helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          ekapidani

Thanks. APU has the word "accelerated" in it. That y i thought itvwas gonna b good when grabed it. Back then had no idea what role the cpu had in games. Only bout gpu and thought sharing was good. But APU apparently means ure FO_OKED lol. Used to think apu ment upgrade vram. Ty. Oh and about the pagefile....i completed Watch Dogs so its back to normal again. No more 20gigs lol.

ekapidani

Upgrade my system? U mean buying a new laptop or upgrade specifoc hardware? Askin this for as fars as I know my laptop is unupgradable cuz the gpu is attached to ram. At least a salesman of electronics told me that. Its pretty much the share thing U said. Anout the Apu. Ty. Regards