10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2015 10:05 AM by colossus715

Diablo III Windows 10

waldojim42

OK, so on the latest drivers (15.7) on Windows 10's latest update (appears to be RTM) Diablo 3 becomes unusable. You end up with a slide show as the driver crashes and recovers. Eventually the game simply goes unresponsive, and dies. So far, this effect has not been proven in other games (Fallout, and WoW tested so far). Rolling back to my Windows 10 default driver solves the problem of getting Diablo III playable, but causes constant driver crashing in every day applications like web browsers.

I have tried multiple graphics settings in D3, in an attempt to solve the problem, and so far haven't gotten anywhere. Is there a solution to this?

System:

Alienware 17 R5 (Ranger)

Intel 4710MQ

8GB ram

AMD m290x

512GB SSD

128GB SSD

Intel iGPU disabled

1080P display

• Re: Diablo III Windows 10
          waldojim42

Are there any updates yet on what is causing this?

kingfish

Yes..notify Microsoft as they ask everyone using the Preview to do. > How to Send Feedback to Microsoft in the Windows 10 Technical Preview  If there is a problem with the AMD driver, Microsoft contacts AMD. Until Windows 10 final release, all support comes from Microsoft.

waldojim42

We are no longer dealing with a Tech Preview. This is an RTM release now. And this specific problem lies squarely on AMD. This is an issue specific to the drivers they released for the launch of Windows 10. But if AMD wants to wait 9 days to admit this is their problem, that is fine. I will wait 9 days. When the official "launch" is made, and no fixes are apparent, then AMD will have no one to blame but themselves.

waltc

The idea that 10240 is RTM is just rumor...Microsoft has not substantiated that--indeed, Gabe Aul said in his latest blog that 10240 was "a step closer" to RTM.  The RTM build will not officially ship until 7/29, so you have no choice but to wait for RTM...;) 

The 15.7's work for me in every game I own under build 10240, without restarts or crashes, but I own a desktop built strictly from tier-1 retail components .  I can tell you from having read so many similar posts that your laptop, dual-gpu game problems are fairly common, regardless of who makes the GPU.  In most cases, you won't be downloading your GPU driver direct from ATi (or nVidia, if you have an Intel/nVIdia dual-gpu) , but you'll be getting these drivers from your laptop OEM.  Look to Alienware for your Win10 gpu drivers.  Here's what I found...

Product Support | Dell US

Windows 10 Operating System not supported for this device
                    Dell does not support the Windows 10 operating system with this device. Some Windows 10 compatible drivers may not be available on this page.
                    View supported operating systems or a list of Dell computers supported for Windows 10.

waldojim42

Ok, lets do this in order:

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-news-recap-rtm-released-campaign-announcement-and-more

"This week also saw the company release the Windows 10 RTM to Insiders. Microsoft originally stated that they would not be rolling out the Windows 10 RTM to Insiders until July 29th, so it's very interesting to see them backtrack on that statement. Regardless, Microsoft did not officially announce that build 10240 is the RTM, even though it is."

We can argue semantics if that is really the desired outcome - though I would rather not.

"I can tell you from having read so many similar posts that your laptop, dual-gpu game problems are fairly common, regardless of who makes the GPU."

Are problems common? Sure. Of this scale? Nope.

"In most cases, you won't be downloading your GPU driver direct from ATi (or nVidia, if you have an Intel/nVIdia dual-gpu)"

Wrong.

At least for the last 5 machines I have used with dual GPU, that is wrong. Lenovo W520 with Nvidia Quadro + Intel SB IGP: Nvidia and Intel sourced drivers. Sony SB with AMD 6770 and Intel SB IGP: AMD and Intel sourced drivers. Alienware 14 with Nvidia and Intel Haswell IGP: Nvidia and Intel sourced drivers. Sony SVS 15 with Nvidia and Intel sourced Drivers: Nvidia and Intel sourced drivers. Alienware 17 with m290x and Intel Hasswell IGP: AMD and Intel sourced drivers on all but Windows 10. Now, the Sony's are no longer in my possession, hard to get current Windows 10 functionality from them. But the Alienware and Lenovo are. And they are both rocking Nvidia sourced drivers in Windows 10 with absolutely no problems.

ray_m

The Catalyst 15.7 drivers with Windows 10 support are just the FIRST standalone drivers that we released for Windows 10. Not all Win 10 features were available or enabled in this driver, and the release notes actually mentioned the same :

Windows® 10 Support

This is a Technical Preview driver which contains product support for Windows® 10 as well as full WDDM 2.0 and DirectX® 12 support which is available on all Graphics Core Next (GCN) supported products, - AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 and newer graphics products.

This Technical Preview driver for Windows® 10 is provided "As Is".  Please note, some features have been disabled in this preview driver.  The official AMD driver offering full feature set support will be made available when Windows® 10 officially launches on July 29th, 2015.

There will be a different driver made available when Windows 10 is officially released.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            waldojim42

First standalone, yes. Not arguing with that at all. However, I am curious what major change would have been made from the relatively stable beta drivers that would produce such an effect. This is a show-stopping bug, not one that can be easily ignored - like a performance issue or anything. If the conditions needed for a CTD are being found in Diablo III, then where else could they be found? I haven't gone through an entire library of games yet to find bugs, and won't pretend to. But when people bring up driver problems with actual releases, users shouldn't be shoved off as a "not my problem" when it clearly is.

colossus715

Yeah, I'm still dealing with the game crashing on certain maps. It's now August 30th. Shouldn't AMD at least acknowledge that there's a problem?